Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shin splints
  • tails
    Free Member

I have in my left leg what I think is shin splint, I rested for a week then played footy on tuesday which went okay and again yesterday, by the end of the game my leg was not good!

Part of the reason is I’m carrying a stone too much, but there is sod all I can do about that I was born with overweight genes. So other than resting is there anything I can do, cortisone injection?

In addition to the obvious cycling what non impact sports would you recommend?

Thanks

theteaboy
    Free Member
    mu3266
    Free Member

Have you thought of getting a pair of insoles. I had shin splints something rotten a few years ago. Not ideal seeing as I have to carry 120lbs+ or run at the speed of a startled gazelle for a living so I ended up having a custom pair of insoles made & that was that, not a single issue since.

tails
    Free Member

run at the speed of a startled gazelle for a living

lol!

I guess my first stop will be my GP 😡

surfer
    Free Member

Your GP will probably tell you to stop running until they go and whilst this is often overkill with minor injuries with Shin splints its probably the only answer. If you continue to run on them they will get woese until they become a stress fracture, I have first hand experience of this!

My advice would be:
    1. Rest and only undertake excercise that doesnt cause pain during or after.
    2. Take anti inflamatories if you can
    3. ice the sore area regulalrly, every few hours if you can
    4. When it eases run slowly on grass if possible, avoid hard surfaces if you can until its cleared up.
    5. No evidence to say stretching does any good but no harm in stretching post run, not before
    6. Make sure your shoes have adequate cushioning and dont listen to any barefoot running evangalists!

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Startled gazelles now tails? What about the thousand screaming lizards?

More helpfully for the OP…immediately after the presentation of shin splints self treat with RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). One swelling apears to have been established (after a day or so) use a hot water bottle in a towel to treat the affected area.

Beyond that, shin splints is typically an over-use injury so back off a little and then try to ease your way back into training again.

Final thought…this game of football…were you wearing football boots or trainers? I ask cos the difference between your training shoe and your game shoe may be enough to trigger your injury…solution? The insoles mentioned above. Hope this helps and get well soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shin splints’ is closed to new replies.