Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano M785 Disc Brakes
  • stuartw81
    Free Member

Although I’ve read numerous glowing reviews on the new Shimano XT M785 disc brakes, has anyone got any real world experience of them? Are they any good in the British mud?

I’ve had enough of the rubbing from my 2nd set of Avid’s!

Secondly, it’d be great to know of how they compare to the Hope X2 (in real world riding too!)

Cheers
    Stu

alfabus
    Free Member

Believe the hype, they’re awesome.

Best ‘feel’ i’ve ever had from a brake. They take a little getting used to, since you pull the lever a little way and it feels solid; you then vary how much to squeeze the lever, but it doesn’t really move much.

Loads of power, and plenty of modulation – just be aware that if you grab a handful, you are going over the bars.

Dave

doug_basqueMTB.com

I don’t have much of the British mud but it ‘aint all dust either! I rate them very highly indeed. 2 things about them.
    1 they are very grabby and some people find this a problem. I try to be either braking or not and if you ride like that then it’s no issue. Not a set of brakes for the draggers though.
    2 if you run the levers close to the bars (I like mine pretty much touching) then you loose some power. Not an issue at all I don’t think because they’re so powerful. Never felt like I needed more.

What I don’t like compared to the Avids. They can’t be swapped L –> R and R –> L which isn’t a problem for most people, it just makes it hard for me to lend my bikes out to our European friends. Also means that you need to swap hoses if you buy cheap from Europe. The other thing is that due to the resovior, (I think), you need to pump them a couple of times when you start out after storing the bike upside down. Again not really an issue.

Compared to the Avid’s I’ve used extensively, i.e. Codes and Elixirs, they are far, far better. More powerful. More reliable. Less fiddly.

Pad life is good. I’ve been using the finned pads, they’re not that expensive. I’m going to try non-finned next.

Woops, I’ve typed a lot, I should have just linked to this! Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake Review (BasqueMTB)

stuartw81
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses guys. (My first forum post!!)

I presume they don’t need the constant adjustments that I’ve had on Avid Elixir CR? Avid pads seem to rub randomly from ride to ride and I have to keep re-aligning the caliper. Looking to upgrade to get away from this nuisance!!

Really tempted now and very pleased to hear positive feedback on the XT discs.

awh
    Free Member

No rubbing problems on my 3 sets!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Alfabus – wht you ( and doug) describe is a lack of modulation! some folk like that but modulation is when its easy to feel for more or less braking power and there is a lot of lever movement for more power

kiwifiz
    Free Member

As per recent post on this same question
    [/url]

My new 2012 XT’s were fabulous…I stress WERE as the front calliper has blown a piston seal at 4 months old (less than 1 trail ride a week average) and it’s been in the shop coming up to two weeks waiting for parts……seems I’m not alone and there are possible manufacturing issues resulting in banjo and piston leaks…..

see discussion at…… http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/love-new-2012-xt-brakes-734689-3.html

Hope a seal replace sorts them as they are superb when working…..but reliability is now in doubt for me at least.

and the outcome…..

Ok have heard back from the LBS. The bad news…..no 2012 XT piston seal parts available in the UK. The good news…..warranty swap out of whole front calliper + new pads! Result, but doesn’t bode well for the Shimano option….looks like this is an acknowledged problem.

Good result in the end but 2 weeks no riding while waiting for the warranty swap. To the shimano distributors credit they sent the replacement immediately before the faulty calliper was sent back. Seems the chat amongst tinkering friends though is that when things go wrong Hopes are self serviceable, and Shimano’s are swop outs….. will be interested to hear others comments.

Superficial
    Free Member

Just for a bit of balance, I’m happy but not ecstatic with mine.

I bought them from Rose, and the first job was to switch the hoses round. Not a difficult job but I suspect that’s where my problems started… The front brake is perfect, full of power/modulation/all the good stuff. The back brake however has never been right – Felt full of air despite two bleeds and the rear piston stuck open making the pads drag. I think I’ve sorted all the issues now and it feels like the front brake, so we shall see.

Also the organic pads that came with the brakes (non-finned in my case, possibly 3rd party?) have worn out after a month (probably 6-7 rides) which is very poor IMHO. Hopefully the superstar kevlar replacement pads will last better. We are talking the Dark Peak in the winter, though.

I still think I’d buy them again though. Cheaper and better than anything else (except XTR).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M785 Disc Brakes’ is closed to new replies.