Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Shimano Di2, Holy Cow !
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

Just clicked on the Competitive Cyclist website add over there > to have a look at the Shimano Di2 electronic stuff, glad i was sat down, pricing:

Levers: $929
    Battery and Rear Mech: $1408
    Front Mech: $919

Any takers ??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ridden it. Loved it. Want it.

fisha
    Free Member

does seem steep. … i do reckon that a diy electronic shift would be possible.

if you take out the springs of mechs, then the movement isn't all that heavy to push about… even under load .

tragically1969
    Free Member

Ridden it. Loved it. Want it.

Not doubting that but that's one hell of a price list.

handyman153
    Free Member

Just to show off a bit..
    Got it 😆

tragically1969
    Free Member

Nice, what frame is that ?

handyman153
    Free Member

Its a Velocite Helios
    There website is here – CLICK…

And just to prove its mine, here's me CLICK…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

My mate has one on both his road and TT bike. I'd have one in an instant as it's an awesome bit of kit but the prices put me off, not the buying of it but the replacement costs, the rear mech which is quite easy to knock in a crash is over £400.

Edric64
    Free Member

using big cog on the big ring ? tut tut!

handyman153
    Free Member

Edric 64..
    I know, didnt realise when i took the picture.
    I hang my head in shame..

showerman
    Free Member

you seem to have blue fluff on your front spokes

brakes
    Free Member

I was playing with Di2 at Bike Radar – awesome, but a bit of a toy
    don't see why it ha to be so expensive, guess you're paying for the development and the priveledge

ken_shields
    Free Member

bakes – Member
    guess you're paying for the development and the priveledge

That's called being an early adopter….you pay for the priveledge

Disc brakes used to be stupid expensive as did suspension forks

If Shimano bring it out for MTB's I'll buy it in a heartbeat

tomlevell

The Saint rear shifter is out there in prototype format.

Next year maybe although for a full set 2012 I'm guessing.

steve_b77
    Free Member

handyman153 – Member
    Its a Velocite Helios
    There website is here – CLICK…

And just to prove its mine, here's me CLICK…

You're 18!! How the **** can you afford that 😯 ❓

brakes
    Free Member

he's a team rider

markenduro
    Free Member

It's not idiot proof then? 😀

dawson

just out of interest… genuine question..

what happens if the battery goes flat while you are out on a ride? does it mean that you get stuck in a gear?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

dawson, the battery has a "get home" mode, where it diverts all power to the rear mech.

Given that they aim for 2,000km from each battery before a recharge, I reckon you'll be OK!

Also,

The joy of Di2, is that the front mech automatically feathers to keep the chain line perfect. It's effing impressive!

Crell
    Free Member

The joy of Di2, is that the front mech automatically feathers to keep the chain line perfect. It's effing impressive!

Sorry, what do you mean? The chain line is still offset so wear on the casette and rings is increased. The fact that the f mech can move to prevent rub on the f mech is nice, but it isn't actually solving the bigger problem or creating a perfect chainline, or am I missing something?

toons
    Free Member

The Saint rear shifter is out there in prototype format.
    Next year maybe although for a full set 2012 I'm guessing.

Any photos?

handyman153
    Free Member

Crell,

Yeah you are right, it does mean that the chainline is still way out, CFH was just referring to the fact the front mech self adjusts so the chain never rubs on the front mech, which is a great feature.

And yep, i will say it again, school boy error with the gear set up in the photo.

fisha
    Free Member

that is impressive.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

handyman

You need to get your Velocite profile updated, says you run SRAM on there!

tony_m
    Free Member

Call me a Luddite, but I'm still not convinced! 😐

Remember Wiggins? 😥

scaredypants

magnus backstedt(?) was talking about the early models when he was commenting on TdCalif or maybe dauphine – said they used to get water ingress and just go wappy, phantom shifts etc

presumably shimano have bought a tub of mastic by now

Mister-P
    Free Member

what happens if the battery goes flat while you are out on a ride?

There is a battery indicator that can be stem mounted so you would have to ignore that for quite a while to ever go flat on a ride. The demo set up at Bikeradar was on the same battery all weekend and that did a lot of shifting over 2 days, much more than you would do on any ride.

Padowan
    Free Member

I used to be able to do that with my down-tube mounted friction front shifter, before I went STI (which does at least have a half-click to do this, which it seems MTB shifters don't have)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

the rear mech which is quite easy to knock in a crash is over £400.

I believe that rebuild kits will be offered for the rear mech – the guts of it is supposed to be quite robust, so the metal bits that are likely to bend in a crash will be offered individually, or as kits of parts, so you don't have to buy a complete rear mech.

D0NK

(which does at least have a half-click to do this, which it seems MTB shifters don't have)

yeah can anybody elaborate on why we can't have a half click?
    Guess it's down to triple setups on MTB (or do road triples have it too?) but with all the 2×9 and 2×10 setups you'd have thought theres a market for 2 speed left shifter with half clicks too!

walleater

Some commuting Rapid Fire shifters have half clicks.

I always think it's D12….

Anyway, the front derailleur sounds cool, sort of sci fi like.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Handyman – that is a cracking bike!

***drools***

nicko74

The commentary on that Wiggins video is ridiculous – the pundits have no idea what they're watching. Any fule no he was clearly looking at his rear mech, hence was having problems shifting.
    There's a fully kitted out bike of some variety (it's a roadbike, hence I barely know the front from the back) costing £10k in CycleSurgery below my office. I was pointing out to a mate that the Di2 gear probably cost about 15% of that…

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Very expensive!
    But I'd love to have a play with it, it must feel quite different to the usual cable shifting?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BB mounted Di2 Alfine?

The ultimate mud busting MTB component?

handyman153
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Cheers mate, it certainly rides well, as well as looking pretty cool.

Becky_Kirk43 – Yeah its so different, get non of the 'lag' you get on a cable system, and the front mech shifts perfectly every time, it really is amazing.

O and Barelyincontrol – i am getting that sorted….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Di2, Holy Cow !’ is closed to new replies.