Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano AM45's – changing the soul from SPD to flats (re-sole)
  • hora
    Free Member

I read somewhere (can’t find it now!) – where someone had their AM45 spd shoes converted to flat professionally?

Ideas/where? (cost-effective though?)

rootes1

soul or sole? do shoes have a soul?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Try here.

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/mtb-cycling-shoe-repairs/

You should be able to get 5:10 rubber put on the bottom of them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but wouldn’t the sole/soul be too stiff?

don’t listen to me, i’m an idiot, but i guess they’d be rubbish.

(if i had a pair of knackered old AM45’s, and i could get them re-soled cheaply, i’d give it a go, but i wouldn’t expect them to work very well…)

bigjim

Or buy my part used AM40’s I keep meaning to sell, size 47 😀

hopkinsgm

AM41’s?

hora
    Free Member

Bigjim pics/info pls markhoracekuk@ yah.o..ocom

portlyone

Don’t 5 Ten re-sole shoes?

twang
    Free Member

I’ve had boots resoled at feetfirst with their dotty stealth rubber. It will stiffen them up considerably, its very stiff which is a good thing imo

hora
    Free Member

£45+2.50 post is too much to spend resoling a shoe that costs £55 new. Cheers bigjim- I’ve just checked my AM45’s (they are 46’s so yours would be a smidge too big).

stcolin
    Free Member

Interesting. I recently tried my old black/white AM’s on flats (1st gen 5050’s) with not much luck. Partly due to being used to being slipped in and partly skill. I was losing my feet quite easily on easy terrain. I put it down to a combination of the stiff, non-sticky sole and short pins on the pedals. Undecided if I will save for 5 10’s and decent pedals.

How much of an improvement can be had?

hora
    Free Member

This is the thing- before I went to spds 5/6yrs ago I only ever used V8/V12’s with Teva (before Teva went into bike specific shoes)- never had an issue at all.

bigjim

OK, I really should put them up on teh classifieds some time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AM45's – changing the soul from SPD to flats (re-sole)’ is closed to new replies.