• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shift workers and Rides
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Just wonderimg how other people get on. Now i work in a Nursing home doing 12 hour nights 2000 – 0800 3 nights a week,usually split one in two off and then two in. Now what do you do about riding after work etc is it a good idea after a 12 hour shift?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did / do sometimes but only easy stuff and a few miles

crikey
    Free Member

I work rotating night shifts every month or couple of months.

Forget it.

The couple of days after nights are awful; no enthusiasm, no energy. If you can ride, do so, but do’t expect any good feelings.

I just wait until I feel better.

crikey
    Free Member

…but it does allow one to take the moral high ground when people whinge about jetlag….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My shifts are all over the shop, we have 11 different shifts & work every other weekend so I only really get a ‘proper’ ride in every 2 weeks, unless I go solo, which I often do.
    Don’t join the prison service!

Drac

I use to but our workload has increased too much so I rest during the day as much as possible. On a very rare occasion my do a gentle ride from the door. There’s days off for riding and if your off during the week the trails are vey quiet.

Oh and +1 to the Jetlag whiners.

althepal

Work 7 nights on, seven off at the mo.. Going back onto the spare next month which I’m not looking forward to..
    I’ve quite enjoyed the ability to plan at least one decent ride every fortnight. I’ve also managed to squeeze in a few cheeky night rides as well one the wee mans in bed but it can be hard going even still..
    I’ve biked in and back from a nightshift a few times.. Coming back is hell if it’s been a busy night though- which it invariably always is these days!

smell_it
    Free Member

I work irregular shifts and love the time I get for riding, granted most of it is solo, and quite a bit of it can be in the early hours of the morning. I’ve never needed much sleep and generally irritate people with my enthuse, even nights don’t get me down. It can be a pain to swap shifts to fit with the race calendar, but I can generally get to most. I honestly wouldn’t want to go back to a 9 till 5(or usually much later) I find that routine far more constricting.

hairyscary

Two weeks of days followed by two weeks of nights here.
    On the weeks I’m on nights I have zero motivation to ride as I’m generally too tired. A long commute doesn’t help matters.
    The bonus is three day weekends every week (25% extra pay is also nice)

bigbloke
    Free Member

I work 3 shift system changing weekly 6-2/2-10/10-6.

On 6-2 i ride straight after work. On 2-10 i ride immediately before work. On nights i night ride immediately before work(sometimes).

The key i find though is to keep the rides short n sweet i only ride 10-12 miles or about an hour at a good pace, enough to keep you ticking over during the week. Also give in to your bodies needs if you feel rough/tired just dont do it , its not worth it.

SBrock
    Free Member

I do 2 days, 2 nights then 6 off all 12 hour shifts, used to get plenty of biking in but that’s changed now with the arrival of my little girl!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah i usually ride before a shift i.e at 0600 in the morning till 1130 ish have some tea and then up at 1800 for food and then work. Just wondering if i should do a short hour blast after my night shift tomoz and then go into work. I like to think that its only like normal people having a evening ride except my evening is normal peoples morning etc.

Get a week and half off from sat.

pomona
    Free Member

I work 4 days on/2 off with a nightshift at the end of every 2nd cycle. When I work nights it’s actually a split shift, as in I work 0630 till 1130 then back in that night at 2230 till 0630, followed by a sleep day then 2 days off.

I’ll often ride in between the split shift but am usually far to tired to even think about riding after nights. Even driving home can be a bit dodgy at times.
    With the other shifts if I’m too tired I won’t ride, if I’m not tired then I will.

I really shouldn’t grumble though. Apart from the night shift most shifts are 5-7 hours long plus I get 30 mins breaktime every couple of hours plus 36 days holiday a year (plus public).

thorpie
    Free Member

I do 2 days, 2 afters and 2 nights then 4 off. I cycle in for all of those shifts. No chance of a decent off road ride during the 6 on and on days off it’s more about fitting it around the kids and the other halfs days off. All in all I don’t get much free time to ride!

Trevor.

Kevevs
    Free Member

XXX thorpie 🙁 ponoma sounds confused

emac65
    Free Member

Yeah do two weeks about,get to bed for 7:30am up for about 1:30pm & then can get a ride of 1-2hrs in before the kids get home .not ideal but it works

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Its easy to fit round 8hr shifts, if you’re strict. But 12’s are just a write off for me, I have gone out after a 6am-6pm but it was short and I had eaten at work. Guess that s key, how much prep can you do at work? That’ll cut down the post work faff and you could still be home before 8pm after an hour or so. Time to shower and go to bed.

Benefits of shifts are that in the winter you needn’t ever need your lights and you can often ride the trails when they are at their quietest.

DrP

It all depends if you’re stupid enough to fail to check whether trains are running back at 6am on a sunday morning, or whether there is “scheduled service improvements” that mean nothing runs until 9am…
    If it’s the latter, then a “post night” 36 mile road ride can often be quite ‘rewarding’…..

DrP

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shift workers and Rides’ is closed to new replies.