Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sherwood Pines, Hamsterly or similar?
  • R.lepecha

Looking to plan a weekend away at a trail centre next year with my dad. I’ve been to Dalby with him and I’m going to Gisburn for my second time later this year.

I was wondering which one of the two in the title is better?
    Or if there is another good trail centre a similar distance from Leeds recommend me that instead, bear in mind we will need lodgings.

We could go to Dalby or Gisburn again if it turns out they are better centres.

I’ve also looked at Lee Quarry but the trails seem short for a weekend away.

peterfile
    Free Member

If you’re going to do a weekend, why not make an adventure of it and go somewhere other than a trail centre?

The Dales has some epic riding. Or get yourself to Calderdale Valley.

Some quality time and memories with the old man.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Sherwood pines is not worth a long trip IMO, It’s been a while since I’ve been to Hamsterley and can’t remember too much about it if I’m honest… I’d rather go to Cannock than the pines, but then if you’re coming from Leeds, Llandegla might be worth a shot too…

sambob
    Free Member

Peak district for a weekend would be far more fun than a trail centre IMO.

R.lepecha

So natural stuff yeah?

sambob
    Free Member

Yup.

colournoise

From Leeds the Lakes is surely doable for a weekend.

Epic natural stuff and a couple of Trail Centres if you’re that way inclined.

slainte 😀 rob

flyingmonkeycorps

Sherwood is very, very flat. Fair play to the trailbuilders, they’ve done their best, but… It’s flat.

Not been to Hamsterley for yonks, but last time I was there there was some good stuff, but it was very badly waymarked and the fun bits were few and far between. I can’t see any way you’d get a weekend of riding at either, unless you’re doing the DH at Hamsterley.

If you want the ease of navigation and convenience of a trailcentre (which is fair enough!) then why not head out North Wales way? You’ve Coed y Brenin, Penmachno, the Marin all within not too many miles of one another and not too far to Llandegla or Nant y Arian. I may have spelt some of those wrong. You could easily stop at Llandegla or even Cannock to break up the journey.

Or as suggested, Lakes has trailcentres and great natural stuff, as does the Peak, the Dales…

vdubber67
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines is not worth travelling any real distance too.

R.lepecha

I’ve just pulled out a few MBR route maps.

I am going to look through my Singletrack magazines soon as I know their route maps are normally on the web, somewhere.

If anyone wants to link me their routes go ahead.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Rather than ‘just’ Dalby, how about exploring the other forests on the NYM? Broxa, Langdale, Wykeham etc. Not organised trails but some great long-distance riding with some challenging and interesting sections and great scenery.
    How about a 45 mile plus circuit of the Dark Peak with some terrifying descents and some of the longest sustained rocky trails in the country?

simon1975

Sherwood Pines is not worth travelling from Nottingham for… I recommend the Peak District for riding and good pubs for food and beer in the evening. I’d stay in Hathersage, Buxton or Bakewell and ride from the doorstep.

Drac

I wouldn’t waste your time with Hamsterly.

How about Whinlatter then there’s all the Lakes too and even Grizedale if you must do trail centres.

millcar
    Free Member

A weekend visit to Sherwood Pines would be a waste… its great for a blast or as a start point for the surrounding greater Sherwood Forest, but even this isnt going to sell it for a full weekend.

Wales, Lakes or Peak.

R.lepecha

After a little research I have decided to stop in the Ullswater area. Not sure which end of the lake yet.

Has anyone got any route maps for around Ullswater?
    I have a route map for High Street.

simon1975

Good choice! The bridleway along the eastern shore of Ullswater will keep you busy – it’s ace. Some very tough sections, and lots of walkers there who enjoy watching you fail…

You could look at Helvellyn routes too.

Drac

Very sensible choice.

neninja
    Free Member

Good call on going to the Lakes.

Hamsterley is pretty good but many of the best bits aren’t on the way marked routes so local knowledge is key.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines, Hamsterly or similar?’ is closed to new replies.