Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • sheds..
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Moved into a new place recently and really need a shed. Nothing expensive or bling and i won’t be putting any expensive bikes in it.

So where’s best? B & Q or any recommended online places?

Is it a case of buy cheap buy twice?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Some diy store sheds can be cheap & flimsy – ok for garden tools but not ideal for expensive bikes.
    Others can be pretty robust. Check out your local garden centre too.

And round about now there’ll probably be an advert over there somewhere –>

Harry_the_Spider

I got this beauty from http://www.waltons.co.uk/

6×4 and it takes 5 adult bikes.

Self assembly. But I feel that the best way for a man to bond with his shed is to attack it with a cordless screwdriver and swear at it for several hours.

Enjoy your new shed.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Cheers Harry the spider. Will check it out

So shiplap or overlap?

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

We went for a b grade shed from this company, it was a little warped and needed slightly discoloured, but nothing that stopped it being a good solid shed!

We got a 6 x 3 overlap Windowless shed with floor and delivery included for £70. Wouldn’t be great for expensive stuff but good for the allotment!

http://www.gardencentredirect.co.uk/Search?q=b+grade&x=0&y=0

ilovemygears
    Free Member

for the love of god dont put ur bike in a shed, keep it inside!

Harry_the_Spider

for the love of god dont put ur bike in a shed, keep it inside!

I am married with kids and a tidy house. Dirty insurred bikes can stay in the locked shed behind a locked gate and fastened to each other with motorcycle locks.

falkirk-mark

Better quality sheds will have a proper wooden floor and roof,as opposed to that cheap chipboard type stuff.

clunker

Another Walton’s vote, mine is not as nicely painted as Harry though 8)

monkeyp

Try Tigersheds. We got a play house from them and it is fantastic quality and they will make to order and incorporate different sizes/designs if you call them – kind of semi-bespoke.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

I am married with kids and a tidy house. Dirty insurred bikes can stay in the locked shed behind a locked gate and fastened to each other with motorcycle locks.

you shouldn’t leave ur bike dirty, wash it when you get home and it will last much longer, insurance company’s are fussy about sheds

Teetosugars
    Free Member

ilovemygears – Member

you shouldn’t leave ur bike dirty, wash it when you get home and it will last much longer, insurance company’s are fussy about sheds

And here endeth the lessson.. 🙄

As long as my bikes are locked, they will be paid out for should some thieving twunt try and get his hands on them.. 😡

Oh, and I keep all 6 of them in the shed too… Clean, I might add.. 😆

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Things to consider:

How long will you be living there?
    Will you be leaving the shed behind when you move?

These may effect what you want to pay and also how robust the shed needs to be.

Oh and cheap overlap tends to warp and leave gaps in the sides of the shed. Not good for security or draftproofing.

I love the colour of the shed in the photos.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Just built my Tigershed this weekend. Best quality shed I’ve had – went for one up from base level and worth it. 10×10 with double doors to take all the garden rubbish, freeing up the bigger shed that was already there for bikes…!!!!!

logic1980
    Free Member

This is a good thread but im going to turn it towards security if you dont mind – like trickydisco im going to have to use the shed as with a small 2 bed and a road bike and MTB, her in doors is getting abit pee’d. and bikes have been in house for a year ( thats 358 days longer than planed )

either way my shed go broke into a couple of weeks ago and im worried about this big time.

Im thinking some kind of inner cage, floor anchor to put lock through and a shed alarm!!!! what do other security conscious people do and does any1 know where i can get a 3 bike sized cage from?

Harry_the_Spider

Lock everything together. Even if they destroy the shed they won’t be able to get the bikes out without a crane.

logic1980
    Free Member

I just want them you look at the inside of my shed and think its impossible to take anything – also im worried they may damage them in the process of trying

turin
    Free Member

Perhaps a sacrificial unlocked bike that the scrotes can remove hassle free? no windows or at least black them out, what about a realistic cctv? Unfortunately its just about making them break into somebody elses shed/house/car because theirs is easier to do so. Not a good karma balance but true. imho

RustyMac

what about one of these

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=15&option=41

COver the windows with frosting or an old shower curtain.

with a ground anchor concreted into the base

then a chain and lock from these guys

http://www.torc-anchors.com/products.php?cat=8

spooky_b329

Logic, if your shed has just been broken into, you’d be f-ing mad to put your bikes in there, irrespective of how much effort you put into security.

If you’ve managed to blag it with them in the house for a year, then I reckon you’ve got a good argument for keeping them there if the shed is vulnerable to break-ins.

logic1980
    Free Member

I fully agree but i think its the bikes in the shed or me – lol

anyone have experience with these?
    http://www.shackup.co.uk/html/product_tridoorbikestore.htm

Im just weighing up the options hoping to stall the move

jonnyrobertson

You could maybe look at those metal sheds? You’d need to concrete it to the floor, they’re a nightmare to put up and you’d have to put additional security on the sliding doors but on the plus side there’s no quiet way to get in to one of those… 🙂

logic1980
    Free Member

I think the metal sheds are maybe the best solution for security maybe

dvitendi
    Free Member

I’ll totally second the metal shed… We recently had a friend of ours who had an attempt on their metal shed in the garden. The noise made by the scum bag was so loud, it woke both him and his missus up. Lights went on and they scattered. Great for keeping stuff dry as well…

If you wait for seasonal sales you’ll find that all local stores like Homebase and B&Q with have cheap sheds for sale in loads of different sizes.

Hope that helps…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve had bikes nicked in the past from a locked garage, but also had bikes failed to be nicked from a shed!

When they were nicked from a garage it was a double locked door they broke in through. The Police said they were semi pro and came tooled up.

The attempt at the shed was probably just opportunistic chavs.

IMO if you have no option but to use a shed (like I do) leave the outside looking as normal as possible. If you put mega locks on it, they are going to know some thing is valuable inside.

I just put big washers behind the hinges and big battons of wood behind them so that any leaveridge placed on the lock on the outside is transferred through the whole door.

I then have a shed alarm and a D lock concreted in to the floor U shape upwards. I then have 2 wire cable lock things that I wrap around the bikes.

To be honest the Police said if they really want a bike they will get it, and angle grinder will get through a frame in seconds and then they sell parts.

So just make life as difficult as possible and hope they get bored/need to shoot up before they get the bikes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘sheds..’ is closed to new replies.