Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shed security, windows in particular.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Moving house soon. Garden has a decent sized workshop made of single skin construction blocks. Roof is tile and timber. Normal timber door and two double glazed Windows which will open.

How do I make the Windows more secure?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I put my ladders across the windows.If you want to make it more secure you could do what one of my mates did & weld up a security grill.

dyls

Get some bars off ebau and screw them in on the inside. A shed will never be totally secure but it helps.

MartynS

Do you need to have opening windows? You could screw them shut.
    I would be inclined to do metal bars over the windows.. As mentioned above.
    I had a chap recommend builders strip (I think that’s what it’s called) it’s metal strips, put them across the inside of the roof timbers in case someone tries to get in through there. I’d also look at the door..!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was considering some sort of bar/grill and I was planning to do the roof as well. As for the door, that might get a better one than the house! At least there’s already an alarm in there and it can be left active while the one in the house is off.

porlus
    Free Member

Looking at beefing the windows up on my new shed as well (I didnt want a window installed, she did lol).
    Already got a bolted in hasp and stable with good quality squire padlock.
    Just coach bolted the hinges and installed enfield garage door bolts.
    Thinking of getting some MS flat bar with a hole either end and using a good length woodscrew screw at least 2 across each window pane.
    No window would have been better, but I was overuled.

matt_outandabout

Reflective film on windows is almost impossible to see through from outside as a ‘can’t see, why risk it?’ approach..

porlus
    Free Member

We got reflective film on ours as well. She’s on about making some curtains next 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you have a ladder it’s best to secure it. Mine is on the garage wall sideways, across the window, with chains and locks at both ends.

noltae
    Free Member

What evidence is there of potential thefts being derailed owing to sufficient shed security?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Film sounds like a good idea. Thought the whole idea of security was to make it too hard/time consuming to bother so they go and pick a softer target. Is there a suggestion that’s not the case?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

At risk of breaking my own rule of not revealing my security measures over the internet, I’ve got two overlapping sheets of rebar bolted over the inside of the window.

Looks pretty.

funkrodent

One of these should do the trick. My garage with expensive mountain bikes was untouchable with my English Bull terrier cross in the house. He was soft as shite, but he sounded like at least two of those. When he was rehomed (two small kids, the ex insisted on it, still distraught) the garage was turned over within a couple of months..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Crowbar to the wood or smash through the roof. Tough door but easy to prize side panels, they’ll go for that and just wrench the shed open. Windows they won’t bother with other than to look at what’s inside.

Having had (and neighbour’s had) wooden sheds easily broken into, even study looking ones, nah, no bikes going in there of any value.

Daffy

Crowbar to the wood or smash through the roof. Tough door but easy to prize side panels, they’ll go for that and just wrench the shed open. Windows they won’t bother with other than to look at what’s inside.

This. I genuinely wonder why people go to such lengths when considering shed windows and bikes. Regardless of whether the buggers get in through the windows, they’re still going to need a bigger hole to get the bike out of, the windows are largely irrelevant to the sheds security. I’ve got double glazed windows on mine with a set of curtains.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A shed alarm will be more effective than doing anything to the windows

jimdubleyou

I’ve got a video camera outside my shed. It’s often lost the WiFi connection but the scrotes done know that.

Inside the shed, the bikes are all secured to a ground anchor.

The shed is just to keep the weather out, not the thieves.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The building in question is single skin construction block with a timber truss tiled roof. How likely are they to ignore the window and to try and make their own?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shed security, windows in particular.’ is closed to new replies.