Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shed building….
  • Just done a quick sketch and priced the wood via prices found on the internet.

The shed will be 5mtrs x 3mtrs, the frame built from 3×2, floor/roof from 12mm ply and 12mmx120mm shiplap cladding.

The wood seems to be coming in at around £800 – does this seem about right to experienced shed builders?

Obviously there will be some felt, hinges, windows, preservative etc to factor in and probably insulation & more ply inside at some point.

scaredypants

no idea, sorry – but you seem to have forgotten the chobham armour for lining it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wood prices on the web are generally a bit more expensive, Get a list of materials and contact a couple of local suppliers, you’ll generally get a better deal.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I got a 10 x 8 double door top quality shed for about £750, 23mm shiplap and was rock solid. I bought it for a motorbike and then spent about another £120 on 25mm chipboard to line it out, bit of insulating inbwtween the ply’s and when I moved and left it behind it was still bone dry inside after 5 years and reckon it wouldn’t need treated for at least another 5 years.

If I had to do it again I wouldn’t build, it don’t save that much money as the shed builders get economies of scale as they buy so much wood.

tinribz
    Free Member

Don’t go by BnQ prices. Even on ebay there are deals at 1.25/m. local merchant should match that.

Was day dreaming about this the other day, thinking it might be better to build something out of airated blocks for better security – 3m * 2m wall = 60ish blocks = fifty squids a wall @ 86p each. Then get 200m of cladding 250 squid and screw it on?

The size of those blocks it’ll be like building a lego house. Obviously need a concrete base but they weigh nothing like the concrete ones.

Is this a bad idea?

I got a 10 x 8 double door top quality shed for about £750, 23mm shiplap and was rock solid. I bought it for a motorbike and then spent about another £120 on 25mm chipboard to line it out, bit of insulating inbwtween the ply’s and when I moved and left it behind it was still bone dry inside after 5 years and reckon it wouldn’t need treated for at least another 5 years.

If I had to do it again I wouldn’t build, it don’t save that much money as the shed builders get economies of scale as they buy so much wood.

The shed I’m planning is 10 x 16 though, or thereabouts. It will be on stilts at one end too, due to a sharp fall in the ground, so will be quite bespoke.

I have built a shed before at my old house – on a concrete base, with 6″x6″ exposed uprights and frame – it was a lean-to affair, which you could have driven a car into and it wouldn’t shift. It was only about [edit] 10 x 6 though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tinribz not a bad idea at all, just factor in the permanent structure planning bollox etc and whether any of your neighbours are liable to moan?? Also and I’m sure this is what you meant, put vertical lats on and then screw/nail ship lap, tongue and groove etc to them, will be much quicker and easier!! Also str are you going for cls? Much easier with nice straight pieces of timber all cut to 2.4 to start with!

project
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

The shed I’m planning is 10 x 16 though, or thereabouts. It will be on stilts at one end too, due to a sharp fall in the ground, so will be quite bespoke.

I have built a shed before at my old house – on a concrete base, with 6″x6″ exposed uprights and frame – it was a lean-to affair, which you could have driven a car into and it wouldn’t shift. It was only about 8 x 4 though.

Posted 7 minutes ago # Report-Post

Got palnning permission, sheds of a certain size need it or a big legal bill, and not to close to a road.

project
    Free Member

Is planning permission required for my shed?
    The majority of garden sheds do not require planning permission. However, permission is required for any shed which covers over half the garden, which is not for domestic use or which is over 3 metres high with a pent roof or 4 metres high with an apex roof. Larger sheds which are within 2 metres of a boundary and over 2.5m high (8’2″) require planning permission. Some larger apex roof sheds may be over 2.5m high. Planning permission may also be required for any shed which is nearer to a public highway than the original dwelling. For planning purposes a public highway includes any road or footpath with a public right of way. If you live in a Conservation Area or a Listed Building permission may be required for any shed over 10 cubic metres. This brief summary is not intended to be a comprehensive guide. Contact us for further advice or contact your local planning department. Please note that planning regulations apply to any building whether temporary or permanent including garden sheds.

Is building regulations approval required for my shed?
    The majority of garden sheds do not require approval under the building regulations. However, approval is required for any shed with an internal floor area of more than 30 square metres. Please note that the building regulations apply to any building in excess of 30 square metres whether temporary or permanent including garden sheds.

Hmmm – it had crossed my mind.

There may be a couple of points in there that lean towards me requiring it (relating to bondaries), but not the overall size.

roach

I have built a shed before at my old house – on a concrete base, with 6″x6″ exposed uprights and frame – it was a lean-to affair, which you could have driven a car into and it wouldn’t shift. It was only about [edit] 10 x 6 though.

That’s uncanny as you’ve just described what I’m planning to build in my back garden, pretty much same size too, mine will be 3m x 4.5m. I was thinking of buying a log cabin from Dunster House for about £1600 and insulating the inside myself. As my garden is sloping quite a lot I’m planning on one side on solid ground and the other side resting on a block wall. Did think about timber/steel stilts but thinking the wall will be sturdier.

Bottom of the shed will be same level as the base of the retaining wall below.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shed building….’ is closed to new replies.