Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Sexist Hat
  • firestarter
    Free Member

The country is becoming more ridiculous by the day, I want someone to be offended on my behalf as I’m not offended and I’m beginning to feel offended by it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol @ firestarter! Bang on.

Drac

I’m more outraged at the lack of apostrophe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can’t believe one anyone would buy it for their kid, why anyone would wear it so why did somebody at the NT waste money on something that will end up in the bin?

It’s just a sad joke for fat old blokes really.

spekkie
    Free Member

Look on the bright side. Once upon a time you had to stick a safety pin through your nose or dye your hair bright blue to get noticed – nowadays you can get into the papers or go viral on-line for just about nothing!

scaredypants

well, you could tell your wife to embroider one on

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Why is it sexist? Isn’t a Wife, by definition, a Woman? 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Why force my daughter to wear pink, forget the slogan

firestarter
    Free Member

Howsyourdad you don’t have to force her to wear it you know. If she likes it then she likes it if not the who cares, a boy could also wear it if they chose

My daughter likes pink my son likes football, I like pink I hate football, life is all about choices not being offended

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m moar offended because it looks like it doesn’t line up correctly 😐

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@firestarter. Hook line and sinker 😀

martinhutch

What’s the fuss for? It is in the Tatton Park giftshop, and this is a traditional and respectable career option for many Cheshire lasses.

kimbers

Telegraph clickbait, designed to raise the blood pressure of angry little Englanders every where..

perchypanther
    Free Member

As a 45 year old, balding, tubby, father of 3, I’d wear that.

Just for teh lolz.

Kryton57

Why is it sexist? Isn’t a Wife, by definition, a Woman?

Very homophobic.

Jakester
    Free Member

It’s low level sexism.

Whilst the current trend for huge overreactions to minor slights on social media is getting a bit tiresome, I think on balance it is a good thing that this sort of thing is called out – it’s tackling the discriminatory attitudes entrenched in our society.

tthew

Why homophobic? GlennQuagmire mentioned nothing about being scared of his house.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I am tired howsyourdad and tbh you really can’t tell one here. Plus I still don’t believe you 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t believe one anyone would buy it for their kid

Oh I can! Haven’t you seen the kind of dimwits that live in this world?

scotroutes

Kryton57 – Member
    Why is it sexist? Isn’t a Wife, by definition, a Woman?

Very homophobic

[/quote]but there are lady footballers too – or are you so sexist you’d overlooked that?

😉

vickypea
    Free Member

It’s a bloody awful ugly design

Kryton57

but there are lady footballers too – or are you so sexist you’d overlooked that

I was busy identifying with transgender sports personalities.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Me too.

😳

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

but there are lady footballers too – or are you so sexist you’d overlooked that?

<sexist generalist hat>

Aren’t most of them generally interested in other ladies though?

</sexist generalist hat>

geetee1972
    Free Member

it’s tackling the discriminatory attitudes entrenched in our society.

The hat isn’t discriminatory. It’s just stereotyped and a bit stupid.

Houns

Horrible hat and quite rightly should be called out, but feel wrong as the Torygraph is hating the NT at the moment

geetee1972
    Free Member

Torygraph is hating the NT at the moment

Intersting. Why is that?

BigJohn

Footballer’s or footballers’ depending upon the level of ambition.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Torygraph is hating the NT at the moment

Intersting. Why is that?

It dwarfs the membership of the political parties and therefore could run for government and take over from the Torys, so they need to bash them to keep the status quo. Possibly.

Plus there is a campaign about their (NT’s) campaign for acessibility. It’s messy, like it always is with poshos.

martinhutch

but feel wrong as the Torygraph is hating the NT at the moment

Intersting. Why is that?

Cos the gay pride thing they hated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/03/national-trust-banishes-volunteers-back-room-chores-refuse-wear/

Helen Ghosh, the outgoing CEO, is also a bit lefty for their taste on things like windfarmage and climate change.

Basically – National Trust as aspic preserver and musty heirloom purveyor = good.

DezB
    Free Member

Spotted, today

Jakester
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    it’s tackling the discriminatory attitudes entrenched in our society.
    The hat isn’t discriminatory. It’s just stereotyped and a bit stupid.

Your two comments are contradictory. It’s stereotyped because it’s based on a discriminatory attitude that women are in some way inferior to men. By dismissing it as “a bit stupid” it marginalises the underlying issue.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s stereotyped because it’s based on a discriminatory attitude that women are in some way inferior to men.

It doesn’t remotely suggest women are inferior; it merely suggests that the person wearing it, being female, might end up being married to someone who was very keen on football.

You can’t even argue that it assumes that women are less likely to appreciate football than men (which is a stereotype but not discrimination and in my view would make women superior anyway), because that would entirely depend on also assuming that the woman was married to a man. These days, that is far from certain.

The only meaning you can derive from the cap is that the woman in question is likely to marry a dedicated football fan. But feel free to feel aggrieved by it.

scotroutes

Yes DezB, I was thinking that too 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The only meaning you can derive from the cap is that the woman in question is likely to marry a dedicated football fan

it’s not the only meaning and i’m fairly sure most people don’t take it to be that meaning, if i’m honest.

vickypea
    Free Member

As a 45 year old, balding, tubby, father of 3, I’d wear that.

Photo please! 😀

sbob
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

little Englanders

Is this some bizarre form of Tourette’s?

Enquiring minds want to know…

geetee1972
    Free Member

it’s not the only meaning and i’m fairly sure most people don’t take it to be that meaning, if i’m honest.

It’s ironic that the negative meaning most people are likely to derive from it (and I accept that this happens even if I argue that it is incorrect) is itself based on assumptions, stereotypes and cultural bias.

The liberal minded among us, who are also likely the ones expressing their disapproval for the hat, can only be offended if we interpret the slogan based on the assumption that women can only marry men, that football is only something that men like and that not liking football is something that makes you inferior. i.e. your liberal outrage actually belies your own cultural biases. Which make you a hypocrite (technically).

DezB
    Free Member

Yes DezB, I was thinking that too

Thanks! The ultimate hate criminal 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Sexist Hat’ is closed to new replies.