Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Sexist Hat
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m sorry? what outrage?

This is an outrage!

perchypanther
    Free Member

the assumption that women can only marry men,

The assumption was that only women can be wives.

Men married to men would still be husbands.

Women married to women would still be wives.

Surely the “joke” is that the wearer of the hat is a bit of a gold digger (sorry if I’ve misunderstood the meaning of “footballer’s wife”).

Both males and females do marry other people for their wealth and fame.

The hat does not imply that all females are gold diggers (or even that gold digging is a bad thing).

The hat isn’t sexist, the joke is just quite poor. (especially if you have just bought it for your 6 year old daughter).

geetee1972
    Free Member

The assumption was that only women can be wives.

Ah good point, I has misread the text for ‘widow’ rather than ‘wife’. It doesn’t change anything though. The ‘wife’ could still be married to a female footballer and only the assumption that women can’t be footballers would then lead you to conclude that the suggestion was discriminatory.

GrahamS

Meh.

I suppose it does sort of support the dated notion that a woman is after a successful husband to be the breadwinner and that she is somehow defined by who she is married to, rather than her own career and life.

But honestly, pretty low on my FaxGivn score.

(I’m assuming they also stock a blue “Future Footballers Husband” hat of course?)

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m more outraged at the lack of apostrophe

I’m more offended by that font

edlong
    Free Member

Really, beyond the catasrapostrophe situation, there’s further grammar fail with the ambiguity of it – they should clarify whether the wearer intends to be the wife of a footballer in the future (a future “footballer’s wife”), or whether they are currently the wife of someone who will be a footballer in the future (a “future footballer’s” wife).

It is, as has been pointed out, an outrage!

Cougar

Surely the “joke” is that the wearer of the hat is a bit of a gold digger (sorry if I’ve misunderstood the meaning of “footballer’s wife”).

That was the inference I took from it. “When I grow up I want to be a WAG.”

That and it’s obvious crimes against design.

aracer
    Free Member

it’s not the only meaning and i’m fairly sure most people don’t take it to be that meaning, if i’m honest.
    [/quote]

It’s not even a possible meaning. Football fans aren’t footballers.

The obvious meaning is obvious. There is only one possible context in which somebody would be “proud” of being a footballer’s wife.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Whats Eootball?

(missing ‘ deliberate BTW)

GrahamS

(missing ‘ deliberate BTW)

You think it means the wearer wants to be a future wife to many footballers? 😯

Edukator
    Free Member

Isn’t “footballers wife” a compound noun in the same way as hot dogs eater (polite version of my first thought)? 💡

If there is an apostrophe it would surely have to go after the s. ❓

CountZero

I’m more outraged at the lack of apostrophe
    I’m more offended by that font

Frankly, it’s a really ugly hat, and anyone caught wearing it should be arrested and fined for crimes against aesthetics.
    Also small children should point at them in the street and laugh, subjecting them to public ridicule.
    At the very least.

Cougar

If there is an apostrophe it would surely have to go after the s.

Only if we legalised bigamy.

wombat

bikebouy – Member
    I’m moar offended because it looks like as though it doesn’t line up correctly

FTFY 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Not in a country where divorce (and death) is legal.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Sexist Hat’ is closed to new replies.