Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sex, drugs & racism.
  • I don't follow the celebrity gossip, so I may have got some of the details wrong, but…

Mel Gibson's ex wife recorded some potty mouthed phone calls he made to her which included some rather unpleasant racial comments.
    As a result, his film career is pretty much over.

When's the last time you heard Gary Glitter or Jonathan King on the radio ?
    They have become unpersons because of their crimes.

Many celebrities get arrested for drug crimes and it is accepted as normal behaviour. A bit like speeding, everyone does it, you're just unlucky if you get caught.
    A short spell in rehab and they're on to their next film or record contract.

I'm not saying what should, or shouldn't happen, but if they* were serious about stopping drug use, they have the power to do something far more effective than fines or short prison sentances.

*"They" in this case is the media and entertainment industry.

BoardinBob

And you care about this because???

Junkyard
    Free Member

what exactly is your point here?
    Were you stoned when you wrote that stream of consciousness post?
    Racial abuse on the phone to your ex [which I am not defending] is some way short of the sexual abuse of young children as in Glitters and Kings case. Though the same standards did not apply to Pete "research" Townsend or Michael " nutter" jackson.
    I suspect if we banned everyone from working in the entertainment industry who had done drugs we would be left with very few

BigDummy
    Free Member

Hasn't Gibson's career been over previously?

Before the "it would be a fitting punishment for your behaviour were you to be coerced into sexual intercourse with numerous gentlemen of African descent" remark it was the "inter-state conflict is generally attributable to the machinations of the adherents of the Jewish faith" remark.

Anyway, he will always be immortalised in the tattoos of drunken Scots nationalists, and fondly remembered for the world's first Mayan-language panther-chase scene in Apocalypto. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

if we banned everyone from working in the entertainment industry who had done drugs

Indeed. You can only enforce this sort of thing where there is a general feeling that the behaviour is definitely wrong, and by extension that it is aberrant in the group in question. Roman Polanski's coercive sex with a surprisingly young woman who looked relatively old does not meet with universal condemnation within the film industry, and eating large amounts of cocaine and crashing your Porsche into things doesn't either. Raging anti-semitism is different. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… Is it the media/entertainment industry or wider society that sees drug taking as slightly more acceptable behaviour than paedophilia?

"what exactly is your point here?"
    Dunno, I was just rambling. Does there have to be a point ?

"I suspect if we banned everyone from working in the entertainment industry who had done drugs we would be left with very few"
    I think that's the problem, it would be like banning everyone who has ever been caught speeding from driving.

Perhaps if George Michael thought that a third drink driving conviction would result in no more royalties and no more TV, radio or live appearances, it might have more effect on his behaviour than merely the risk of another fine.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There are quicker wins out there than trying to make George Michael behave himself.

If people feel strongly however, I am willing to chain Lindsay Lohan to a radiator in my flat and beat the demons out of her with a length of hosepipe. Road safety and drug control are important issues, and sending a strong message to LiLo ought to be our no.1 priority.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

surely thats the whole point of becoming famous and rich – to take copious amounts of drugs? no? 😮

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

All those in favour of Big Dummies plan raise your hands.

I have a slight concern thought that LiLo has had her fair share of eating problems and I worry that your severe punishment may result in a hunger strike. If you want me to come round with my own length of hosepipe to administer essential vitamins I am more than happy to.

nickc

LiLo? This I like very much. Is that her prison bitch name or something you read in heat?

duntstick
    Free Member

Drugs and celebrity…….probably not as much fun as it seems.

theotherjonv

I recognise Amy Winehouse* one on the right but who's the one on the left?

* Are you aware that is french for 'I love the pub'

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dunno, I was just rambling. Does there have to be a point ?

Generally, yes.

dazh

If you ask me she looks far better in the pic on the right. Sure she's a bit on the skinny side, but she's wearing more sensible shoes, looks far more relaxed and comfortable, and no longer appears to be too bothered about what people think of her appearance. If that's what a few drugs do then it's a good advert for them IMO.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Racist crackpot religious fanatic screws up own career, shocker…

Mel, that is, not Aimless Crackhouse.

"Generally, yes."

OK. I'll bear that in mind in future.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

it would be like banning everyone who has ever been caught speeding from driving

But that would be brill wouldn't it? Think how many lives would be saved, and how much more pressure there would be for better public transport and bike lanes?

Banning alcohol would have similar benefits.
    I don't think that's very likely in a democracy either.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sex, drugs & racism.’ is closed to new replies.