Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Severe Weather yesterday….
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I was trying to get in touch with someone yesterday but failed, the office answerphone was on. He emailed me this morning apologising for his absence but the office was closed due to ‘severe weather’.

He works in Canary Wharf…. was it that tempestuous in London yesterday? 😯

joao3v16
    Free Member

Sounds lke ‘Southern Softy’ syndrome

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Once again we were treated to the BBC broken news. A slightly stronger than average scottish winter storm and it was the usual World Is Ending, cower under the stairs, look at me with my windblown hair reporting live how windy it was overload…

Keep cutting that licence fee…

footflaps

Sounds way OTT…..

portlyone

slightly stronger than average scottish winter

Highest winds in 50 years wasn’t it?

highclimber
    Free Member

did you not see that powerstation blow up?

it was too windy for a WIND turbine!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No, about 10 years, and not as strong as the Burns’ Night Blow of 1991.

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, about 10 years

Think it was the highest wind speed recorded (165mph) since the early 80’s (173mph). So failry windy in Scotland.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Once again we were treated to the BBC broken news. A slightly stronger than average scottish winter storm and it was the usual World Is Ending, cower under the stairs, look at me with my windblown hair reporting live how windy it was overload…

Keep cutting that licence fee…

It was pretty sodding mental here (North of Glasgow) yesterday. First time I’ve ever been unable to stand up properly in the wind. First time I’ve had to worry significantly about the falling tree branches in the area. The old couple in the house next door (lived there for 50 years) said they’d never seen anything like it and barricaded themselves in their house. Waterfalls flowing uphill continuously. So to be fair it was fairly unusual.

ditch_jockey

It was rather funny watching various people who lived several hundred miles from “the action” moaning about how overblown the reporting about hurricane Bawbag was. It gusted to around 70mph in Glasgow, which was pretty much as predicted, and was considerably higher down in Ayrshire and over in Argyll. That’s more than enough to cause structural damage, knock down trees and so on.

We took the police advice and postponed a meeting at lunchtime yesterday – it was important, but not time critical, and certainly not worth putting people at risk for, when they could just go home and do a couple of hours work in the house. If they opted to stick their feet up and have a cuppa instead, then what’s the big deal – they’ll do the work anyway, and make up the time in all sorts of ways over the next month or two.

I got home – just north of Glasgow – around 2.00pm and took the dogs for a quick outing. There were several trees down at that time, and assorted recycling boxes, garden furniture and so on blowing about the village. I’m a big boy at 17st, but the wind was moving me sideways, so kids or little old ladies would have stood a fair chance of being dumped on the deck if they’d ventured out. I certainly wouldn’t have wanted kids to be trying to make their way home from school in those conditions.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I went for a ride! Was a bit breezy down here, but nothing too much 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

a mates prefab garage door blew open and the wind actually ballooned the walls off their foundations ….. – just a wee breeze

highclimber
    Free Member

looking out my window now and you’d not beleive there were gales and trees falling down!

cudubh

Yes, and I’m hoping to have electricity restored some time today if that’s OK. It was sufficiently cold without heating I had to come to work to warm up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Severe Weather yesterday….’ is closed to new replies.