Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Setting up Blackspire Stinger (different poster different problem!)
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Originally posted in other thread but had no takers. Hoping for larger audience. And yes I’ve read the manual.

Just tried to fit one to a Nomad (73mm BB shell) with a Raceface crank and external type BB. So according to the manual that means replacing the one remaining drive side spacer with the stinger (and no other spacers used).

The granny ring bolts foul on the stinger stopping the crank turning (so now I’ve marked it I cant send it back to CRC ) 🙄 , and the chain doesnt line up with the roller groove. It looks like it needs a spacer between the stinger and the BB cup, but that would throw the chainline out and would make the effective length of the BB too much for the crank/axle to fit properly.

what have I missed, or have I found the one combination that doesnt work?

rs
    Free Member

I had this with my bullit, ISCG05 stinger, i filed the bolts down a little, it was only just catching though.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

had the very same problem with my iscg05 stinger and raceface crank – it don’t work, sorry

rs
    Free Member

i was using shimano hone cranks, they don’t work to well either!

DT78
    Free Member

This a double setup? Not hugely helpful but I bought a e13 dss for my nomad dual setup and it went on no problems. Both with stylo cranks and older XTR (960s).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

DT78, yes, intention was to use it for a dual set up.

rs, thought about that but the chain isnt inline with the roller either (dual roller with steps for granny and middle, chain doesnt line up with either step).

It looks like it simply wont work with an 73mm shell, but the fitting instructions suggest it should work with either 68 or 73.

Expect to see a marked 🙁 but unused Stinger on classified shortly 🙄

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a stinger on my Nomad with SLX double cranks. Works perfectly.No spacers on either side – it’s 3mm thick so you don’t need any.

BenjiM

AFAIK on a double setup it doesn’t need to sit in the groove of the roller. It works no problem on an MMMbop with SLX Cranks and holzfeller rings and bash guard. I think an MMMbop BB is 73mm too.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ewan, i have it fitted with no spacers, maybe SLX and RF have different chainring offsets (ie they mount their rings further inboard)?

Benji the chain is definitely supposed to sit in the groove on the middle ring, and on the inner step when on the granny ring;

see figure 3 and point 11 on page 2 (for BB mounted guides)

http://www.blackspire.com/site_assets/www.blackspire.com/images/dynamic/Stinger_Setup_guide.pdf

Now in classifieds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Setting up Blackspire Stinger (different poster different problem!)’ is closed to new replies.