Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Seriously!
  • lapierrelady

Someone tried to steal my new road bike (sorry) whilst I had my head in the door switching off my house alarm.
    Luckily my screaming whilst chasing worked, and two local heroes got my bike back.
    But…seriously…this is what society has come to?

crikey
    Free Member

If you leave an article of high value in full view of the street which is mobile and easily disposed of, people will try to take it if you give them the opportunity.

Sorry, but there you go.

Tom83

Lucky! Did the git get arrested?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

two local heroes got my bike back.

But…seriously…this is what society has come to?

I’m glad it has. It sounds almost perfect.

lapierrelady

The heroes bit is awesome, obs. But I was stood next to my bike. How am I supposed to get it into my house if I can’t open my door without it being nicked?

Basil

Oh yes. Recently my brother parked outside a friends house (terraced) with two bikes on the back of the car to knock on the door for pick up for a ride out. Turned round scum were robbing bike off the car!!!

lapierrelady

We also had two rowing launches nicked from the boathouse last night…made easier by the fact that the water was only a foot from the door!

djflexure

lapierrelady – Member

The heroes bit is awesome, obs. But I was stood next to my bike. How am I supposed to get it into my house if I can’t open my door without it being nicked?
    Completely agree. Every time I take a bike out I’m looking over my shoulder. Its a disgrace and they should be shot.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a disgrace and they should be shot.

Yes! As cyclists, this is the sort of utopian society we’re all after!

djflexure

Wouldn’t really shoot them but society does seem to be drifting and I’m not sure there is an easy answer

DezB
    Free Member

If you leave an article of high value in full view of the street which is mobile and easily disposed of, people will try to take it if you give them the opportunity

Nice one crikey – it was lapierrelady’s fault eh?

I usually leave my bike leaning against my car for about 20 minutes after I get in. But then I live in a nice area. 😛

andywoods
    Free Member

society that bad? not everywhere but yes give a scroat the chance and they will try anything, my worse experience helping sister in law move house loading gear into back of van when 2 youths 17-19 yrs said “are we on a rob? can we join in?” exact words never forgot them. yes it was a dodgy area.

lapierrelady

Wow, a quick trawl of the forums shows so many bikes stolen, just pleased I guess that I’ve still got this one, unlike the last four that got stolen (and my Lapierre got stolen twice!)
    It does worry me tho that it was nicked outside my front door…will be sleeping with some suitable sporting hardware under the bed and probably my bike tucked up next to me!

crikey
    Free Member

Nice one crikey – it was lapierrelady’s fault eh?
    No, it wasn’t her fault, which is why I didn’t say it was.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Noooo, don’t shoot them! Simply smack them on the back of the hands & explain why It’s wrong! Never fails to work.

bigjim

oh dear, the forum lowlife are out in force tonight!

Glad the scumbags didn’t get away with your bike, that is pretty scary.

lapierrelady

Have to say pretty shaken up, have cut my feet up a bit what with the sprinting on concrete in just a pair of socks. Was very amused when my husband pointed out it was good brick training-true, but I’d already done 2 5 mile runs today, so I could definitely have done without it!

WillC9999
    Free Member

Ah, the shoot ’em or give then a nice friendly chat dilemma.
    No idea about the no doubt complex sociology issues, but if I catch someone nicking my bike I feel fairly certain I would use (reasonable) force to prevent the theft and detain the criminal.

hh45
    Free Member

OP, I’m curious, where do you live? How far were you from them when attempted theft happened?

lapierrelady

About 50cm!I live in York

mjsmke

If i ever catch someone trying to steal my bike (again) i would probably break their legs. No one round here would help them or say to the police i did it.

meehaja
    Free Member

saw a guy have his bike stolen whilst he was at a cash point (it was resting against the wall behind him).

Once chavvy thief felt he was far enough away he stopped pedalling for a second and discovered what “fixed gear” means.

Owner casually walked over, picked his bike up and rode off, leaving thief and his teeth on the floor!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

[/quote]Its a disgrace and they should be shot at birth[quote]

Fixed that for you.

JoeG
    Free Member

So fixies are good for something then; free dental work for thieving scrotes! 😀

coatesy
    Free Member

Been worried about this happening to mine whilst unlocking in the morning, have taken to turning it upside down and hanging kit on it as it’ll make it just that bit more awkward to leg it with.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

50cm! That’s virtually a mugging. Have you reported it to the police.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Wouldn’t really shoot them but society does seem to be drifting and I’m not sure there is an easy answer

Castration?

fasthaggis

Castration?

How about this

followed by

Fish slapping ,and a bit of a bit of public humiliation ,it’s the future I tell yea 😉

Glad the OP is ok and that the bike was saved 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

BOMBERS FROM ORBIT
    IT’S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

spanners
    Free Member

Why are you all moaning about it? Presumably you all live in the UK (thankfully i quit that dump a few years ago) ? Either change your society, do something to solve the problem, leave, or grin and bare it. Sadly, most will do FA and things will get worse.

lapierrelady

Reported it to the police. Apparently they had ‘run out of cars’ so might come round tonight to take a statement…or tomorrow!
    spanners- I am trying to do something to change society-I’m a teacher

alpin
    Free Member

not quite the attitude, sapnners….

but i have to say that here in Munich i don’t know anyone who has been robbed on the street. bike theft is very low here, although it does happen.

a friend of a friend in Berlin had his bike pinched. ok, he hadn’t locked it up when he went into the petrol station. some oik saw this, got on it and rode off. matey saw the guy riding off and proceeded to chase after him, but he didn’t shout or scream. he followed him for a few hundred meters where the guy stopped at the lights. matey came along and thumped the guy in the head, hit him to the floor and proceeded to beat the shit out of him. matey’s shoes were covered in blood after he was finished.

another friend takes the chain off the front ring when he goes into a shop. makes riding off a bit harder.

jonathan
    Free Member

Where abouts in York?

I work (and used to live) in York, but thankfully live somewhere with a much lower crime rate. I remember soon after moving to York I was wheeling my bike down a busy shopping street at lunchtime when a bloke just tried to intimidate me into giving him my bike. It was laughable really, but gives an idea of how bikes are regarded in the city. They’re just an easy thing to steal. It’s got one of the highest bike theft rates in the country (and very low recovery rates) and everyday you see lads riding around on bikes that you know used to be someone’s pride and joy or means of transport (or both).

I’ve felt more unsafe in bits of York than any other city I’ve been in 🙁

AngusWells

Cath

What are you doing on internet forums when my son’s A Level history exams are only a month away?

Bike theft seems endemic in York. It’s probably no consolation but the York police were very good when our shed full went missing a year ago. But nicking it from under your nose, that’s something else.

Oh, and what’s this about losses from the boat house?

richc
    Free Member

One of the builders who was working on my house had his site radio nicked out of his van last month.

Unfortunately for the little shit who stole it he tried to sell it back to him in the pub later that day, apparently he was re-educated with a lump hammer and a few taps on his fingers …….

apparently the bloke isn’t nicking stuff anymore. So there is justice in the world 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mrmo
    Free Member

what is p**sing me off about this sort of thing is the police probably know who it is.

I know of two people in cheltenham who have a record of nicking things, including bikes, they have been convicted given a slapped wrist, and are continuing there activities.

ska-49
    Free Member

Feels like im back in SA reading all of this!
    Luckily I spend half my time in Germany.
    Better cycling culture and your bike dosent get stolen at every given moment. Back in the UK its a different story.

jam-bo

Back in the small parts of the UK its a different story.

fixed that for you.

beefheart
    Free Member

I would like to point out the irony in that your burglar alarm was the very thing which caused your bike to be stolen. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Seriously!’ is closed to new replies.