Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Selling up and going walkabout
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I missed an opportunity 20 years ago that still rankles. Invited onto a greenpeace ship to go annoying ruskies in the arctic – they ended up getting arrested in Murmansk.

I had just accepted a promoted post tho and didn’t take the chance.

This sums it up. You regret not taking the chance then and will do so in 20 years time. What if we had taken the chance? Doesn’t bear thinking about……

nonk
    Free Member

a lot of the stuff that is of concern to you about going could happen to you anyway, health issues, needing to find a job late in life etc all could be a problem anyway…if you see what i mean.
    selling your bloody house could be the stumbling block.

flip
    Free Member

meet your maker in 20yrs time off the coast Of Tanzania in a shark rodeo extravaganza. better than crawling back to blighty poor and decrepit to spend your remaining urine sodden days being tended to by a geriatric nurse like TJ.

+1

On the minus side i travelled the globe for 5 yrs an my early thirties and in the end got bored and came home. I decided, sitting on the most perfect beach you could imagine in Malaysia, i thought thats it i’ve seen all the best stuff now i want to go home. I really missed the 4 seasons here.

brack
    Free Member

Intersting one TJ but I guess if you’ve had a few long hauls before then really you already know the pifalls of ‘travellin’ vs the slog of every day life.

I went ferral for 3 years… Had a blast. Had enough cash to continue for longer but in the end becaming weary of drifting…………………

Bu then that was just me and I guess things would be much easier with a partner :@))))))))

Whatever you do mate keep something here..a base…a small flat…something!

Have fun losing yourself and don’t listen to 95% of these ‘go for it !! what have you got to lose muppets” because they never will !

brack
    Free Member

Well said flip !

So did I .

philconsequence
    Free Member

you’ll miss the forum too much, stay and pay your taxes like a good boy, work too many hours each week until you’re too ill to work or enjoy time not working like a good boy.

swiss01
    Free Member

no decent jobs? yer baws!! course it might be that you need to get over your nursey self and actually do some education…

that said, why would you want to? me and mrs swiss are diversifying out of what we’re doing in order that i exit my career in healthcare as soon as possible. after that it’s elsewhere for us and faster if stupid eck and his mob have their way

but i can absolutely understand why you might want to do such a thing. you better than most should know what’s coming to you. should you need any further/suggestions you can get your fat/lazy tandem riding backside up to perthshire

that got the old dander up yet?

mcboo
    Free Member

You have to figure out what you really want to do tomorrow and the next day, where you really want to be. I’m another one that counts the days till I come home half-way through a 2 week holiday, only place it isnt like that is when I go back to Perth. We’ve got 3 kids so no way we’re ever taking off, even after they grow up I’m going to want to be around, fingers crossed have grandchildren to talk to.

I’d say rent out your place, head off for a few months, see how you get on. Try to live on the income from your place and not hit your savings too much. I wouldnt worry for a second about coming back and looking for work, there are two of you, you will be fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do it. You won’t be wasting your evenings bothering us on STW then.. (meant in a positive way of course! 🙂 )

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Selling up and going walkabout’ is closed to new replies.