Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Selling Bikes on eBay
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

What are your experiences?

tinribz
    Free Member

Sold one a couple of weeks ago, said pick up only but got lots of requests to post. Relented but winner drove 100 miles to get anyway.

Ended up selling for 50 quid less than I paid for it a year ago, 100 more than I advertised on here and 150 more than I would have accepted. Still waiting for the ebay fees though.

Trick is let lots of clear photos do the talking not loadsa of waffle.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I've sold a few bikes over the years and had always had good experiences. Just be honest, take loads of pictures and list everything,

I sent the bike with Parcelkings and it cost me £5.99 (they are an agent for parcelforce)

Make sure you don't take any sh!t either, tire kickers hagglers etc.

You will encounter awkward people, I sold a bike at the end of Feb and got an email tuesday saying the rear brake caliper has started to leak and he wants £50 off me to fix it.

johni
    Free Member

I've sold lots of bike bits (frames etc) on eBay all ok. Ideally get them to collect and pay cash to avoid Paypal fees/hassle posting. If you have the original receipt, say so as it gets more people bidding as they know it isn't nicked.

jonjon

sold my old Marin, got loads of interest, then the purchaser pulled out, got some story about how he was in a coma or something. Anyway relisted it and sold it to one of the people who wanted to buy it out of ebay – basically suited me cos he collected, saw the bike and paid cash, everyone was happy. I'm always nervous with high ticket items on ebay that i might get returns or problems, but in all honesty i never have.

fivespot
    Free Member

Great for the amount of punters, and the silly bids they give. BUT beware of the fees, the adverts are cheap, but the Final Value Fee is steep, plus the Paypal fee if taking payment that way.

I sold a frame last year for £495, it cost £60 to sell, advert around £3, Paypal charges £17, and Final Value Fee £40.

To be fare though, I put it on here for £450 and it did'nt sell.

If you do put it on ebay, make sure you have a few good photos, an honest description, and include your mobile number in the add. That way you might get someone wanting and willing to pay for the item before the auction ends. In that case you could cancel the auction before it finishes, and get off paying final value and Paypal fees. Hope that lot makes a bit of sense 😕

daveh
    Free Member

Straight up one price classifieds (but allowing best offer) can be cheaper than aunctions, owing to those steep final value fees. Check what price you think its going to go for. Also, if you list at 99p, sometimes people will contact you direct to deal. If there's a mistake in your listing you can always remove it :wink:.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I dont see the point in going for a 99p listing and then having a reserve (other than the current no-listing-fee offer for 99p) as I've got sick of bidding on an item and stopped before the reserve was met. Theres loads of opinions and theories and Ive tried a few.

Currently got some Marz 55Rs on. Started the bidding at a price I'd accept (£100) and someone has already bid that. Another pair still on ebay started at 99p with no reserve, reached £102 and the vendor pulled it just before it ended and relisted it as he obviously wanted more for it. Seems like an @rsehole thing to do and I hope some of the original bidders have blanked him this time.

The danger of a low listing and no reserve is theres no guarantee that a "fair" or average price will be reached. I recently watched two new high end cateye LED lights end on the same day from the same vendor. One went for half the price of the other…

Sold a frame recently on a 30 day "buy now or best offer" ad. Researched prices same frame had previously gone for and set mine at the high end of that. Had several pictures and an honest description. had a few cheeky low offers but after 4 days someone paid the full asking price and is absolutely stoked with the frame.

The most expensive bike Ive ever bought was a used Nomad off ebay for £1600. Had lots of pics and several phone chats with the vendor. He was very accommodating and we ended up with me paying via bank transfer (danger of no paypal back-up but I was happy to do it having spoken to him), he paid the postage and he saved the paypal fees.

As others have said combined selling fees are high. I know motorbikes tend to sell with a paypal deposit, rest as cash to minimise paypal fees. One of the reasons classifieds here are popular, but often stuff will go for sufficiently more on ebay to cover the fees.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

put a realistic price for it on ebay and put your mobile number on the ad. you've failed if it runs to the end of the auction and you acrue fees!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You can always deal off ebay so no Paypal fees, and then cancel the transaction. It avoids the final value fees and you can still leave feedback.

You can expect monkeys (can you send to Lithuania, can I collect after midnight) One guy said he would buy my bike if I included a helmet, pump, puncture repair kit etc etc. No it's a bike, not a bike starter kit for beginners. Buy yer bloody own.

Everyone always askes what it weighs and how tall you are, so just include that info.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Selling Bikes on eBay’ is closed to new replies.