• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SnS.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Selling advice needed from HiFi people..is my gear worth anything?
  • rockhopper70

Back in the day, I spent probably the best part of a £1000 on various Trio/Kenwood hifi components.
    The CD player was £300, amp £200, turntable £150 and twin deck around £200 plus tuner at £130ish.
    I dont have the space for this so it is all packed up and at the MIL’s house.
    It all works perfectly but is old and when I tried to sell it on ebay, it got as high as £70!
    Is the brand of trio not going to appeal to the audiophiles out there? A bit mainstream etc?
    Do you think there might be a market for it somewhere, if so where?
    Ta

skywalker
    Free Member

No

footflaps

Technology has moved on, it’s just not worth anything now unless it’s really exotic eg Quad electrostatic speakers still command a high value.

rockhopper70

skywalker – Member
    No

£70 it is then…was hoping to buy some easton haven carbon bars with the money but that is even out of reach now…. 🙁

the-muffin-man

Is it on eBay now, and is it listed as a job lot or separate items?

Would probably sell better as separate items.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If it’s old and sliver there is a market, mid 80’s not so much.

this might help http://www.thevintageknob.org/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Def sell ap separates.

Only “proper” hi fi brands have any chance of retaining any value.

kayak23

I sold my beautiful TEAC tape deck on Ebay recently. I got 99p for it. The bloke collected it and gave me a quid and didn’t ask for change! Woo hoo!
    :-/

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It’s not that Trio is “mainstream”.

it’s that it wasn’t really awfully good. All vulgar flashing lights, electronic gimmicks, buttons and knobs. £1k spend on “big brand” japanese electronics 10 years ago is virtually freecycle now, unless its something unusual like one of those rare products which was actually by accident any good. Somehting like the Pioneer a240 amp (ow whatever it was?).Or say a Denon pma250. Acutally some other CD Denon stuff might have some value, and quazi eastern stuff, like NAD, Rotel, will be up a bit on that – its only then when you get to proper audio kit like Mission/Audiolab/QuD/naim/Linn you find it will keep some value.

A japanese turntable will be largely horrible to listen too, none of the “decent” brands are japanese. I paid £700 for a Linn lp12 with Ittok LVII arm, when a student, s/h im 1989, and I’d still expect to get £300+ now. And it still sounds fantastic.

rockhopper70

no…it’s not currently for sale.
    I am watching a few items though and it seems selling individually might be the answer but I really really can’t be r’sed with packing them up for posting.

Jujuuk68 – Member
    It’s not that Trio is “mainstream”.

it’s that it wasn’t really awfully good. All vulgar flashing lights, electronic gimmicks, buttons and knobs. £1k spend on “big brand” japanese electronics 10 years ago

mine is 20 yrs old.
    no flashing lights on it but I accept that it is not high end.

nack ers

CountZero

I used to sell audio stuff in the 80’s, and Trio was the best of the Pioneer/Technics/Trio mass-market separates kit. Sony was a bit higher up, then Denon and Rotel. Trio really scored in car audio, though, TBH. I still have a Rotel pre-amp and a Denon cd player I got through the shop, along with a Logic DM101 turntable with a Zeta tonearm, with Crimson power-amps and a pair of large Trio speakers on Foundation stands.
    Haven’t used it in years, but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it.

rockhopper70

would the components be worth more if labelled Kenwood…or is that just for food processors.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I think Kenwood bought Trio.

NZCol

I have a nice Denon Amo, a Cd63mkII and missions speakers – setup in my garage for bike fettling ! Better than selling for peanuts.

Pieface

In the world of digital audio only the real niche brands will appeal to the trainspotters of the market.

Be arsed – lsit it seperately, ask for £5 P&P and post it on. I reckon you may get £100 for the lot.

Otherwise off-load it to it to one of the few charity shops that take electronic goods

rockhopper70

thought about that but my garage is a bit too damp…. 😐

rockhopper70

didn’t even fetch £49.99…….. 🙁

Cougar

If it’s any consolation, I’m in the same boat.

I had a tech refresh about a year ago to move to HDMI and decommission kit I don’t use.

I’ve got a VCR, Laserdisc player, twin cassette deck, and AV receiver all gathering dust (and a big bag of interconnects). I’ll probably keep the LD for novelty value, and the tape decks are dead technology, but the receiver is absolutely kick-arse (it’s just not HDMI) and it breaks my heart to think it’ll wind up on Freecycle or at the local tip. It’s served me well and sounds as good as the day I bought it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Interestingly there is no connection between Kenwood Hi-Fi (etc) and Kenwood kettles (etc) other than them having the same name.

onandon
    Free Member

Where was all this stuff when I put together my shed system.
    The Yamaha would have been ideal ……… Ah well

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cougar, how much would you like for the Yamaha AV receiver? Fancy an upgrade on my one. Oh, and where are you too?

SnS
    Free Member

Used to be very ‘into’ sound systems just got fed up of catching myself listening to the system more than the music.

So, in this last week, I’ve stopped procrastinating & sold the Naim 32.5 / bespoke PSU / 250. The LP12’s been boxed up and stored (…couldn’t quite bring myself to sell the LP12) & I’ve given hundreds of vinyl albums to a charity shop.

In an odd way, I feel quite liberated & de-cluttered !

I’ve kept the Creek CD player & the Naim Amps have been replaced by… a Sansui AU 317 MK2 – made in 1979 ! & cost under £50 inc £13 postage) – A Sansui amp from the Golden era with battleship construction.
    It’s sounds totally different to the Naim kit, but has a beguiling organic quality which I really like.

So, just because the Trio / Kenwood kit is old & seemingly financially worthless, remember that construction values were quite different then. – Don’t think it can’t sound good ! – It might just surprise you.

Chris

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Dont sell it, stick it in the loft and use it for a spare set up when the time comes, it will be great to set it all up again in a few years.
    I have a Yamaha A1020 Amp, Yamaha CD player with some Mission 753 Freedom’s and Bose 301’s , all the kit is 20 years old and in good condition. It sounds superb and can literally blow the doors of the house, I doubt I could get something sounding this good for less than a grand today.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez…swapping a Naim set up for a Jap integrated? What’s the benefit in downgrading?

And what’s the benefit of HDMI interconnects?

mashiehood
    Free Member

I had some old 500 series meridian equipment which i put on ebay a few weeks agao. To my amazement, i sold it for more than i paid for it ten years ago. So, niche high end audio equipment can actually make you money the longer you keep it.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I kept my old AV amp and used an hdmi switcher. All run off Logitech harmony remote so works without any extra hassle as programmed to switch automatically. Worth a thought?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got a Technics amp, Sony CD player, Sony Tape Dec, Sony Tuner, Mordaunt Short Speakers, Sky Box, 2 x 21″ Sony TV’s that are all currently sat there doing nothing, and I have kept for the last few years because I dont want to part with stuff that costs £100’s but is now worthless.

I have however decided to donate them to the British Heart Foundation

http://www.bhf.org.uk/shop/donating-goods/van-collection.aspx

At least that way it will be doing some good.

SnS
    Free Member

There are Jap integratedes & Jap integrateds. – Did an awful lot of research on this, bought a few from Ebay before I did anything too rash. The naim kit was relocated upstairs during Feb to see if I could indeed live without it.
    The ‘AU’ series Sansui amp’s from the mid to late 70’s are a very good place to start. ( better than the competition from around the same era) Things like construction & quality of components seemed to go downhill in the 1980’s and onwards.

Tbh – I think I might have just been looking for something different. I’ve had Naim kit for about the last 15 years, possibly more. Wanted to reduce the box count, it was sat in the living room where the kids seem to rule. – I end up on a battered old settee in the kitchen with a Tivoli Model 1. ( I quite like hanging out in the kitchen though – feels somehow comfortable)

There’s no denying that the Naim kit was fantastic but I was always fretting about something or other not sounding quite right – It obviously was – it was just me.

Al,
    If you’re into sound systems & looking for a cheap play thing for a while, it’s worth keeping a look on Ebay to see what these things go for – A lot of the time, it’s peanuts & at that kind of price, its worth it just to ‘play’ as you can easily sell it if you get bored ( The AU317 or the MK2 version would be my preference on the bang per buck basis – The lesser AU217 sounds very open and very musical but a little lacking in that gutsy feeling, where as the AU417, whist sounding very good indeed, becomes quite an internally complex beast & the same applies the further up the line you go)
    If things go wrong with it, there’s a very healthy & supportive Sansui group on AudioKarma.org

Chris

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4k Bang & Olufsen TV/DVD player that auto-swivels to where you are sat in the room. I think on ebay it’d go for 2-300.

Its worth more than that sat in my living room.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Jeez…swapping a Naim set up for a Jap integrated? What’s the benefit in downgrading

He said the crap equipment sounds “organic” apparently, whatever THAT is… 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A japanese turntable will be largely horrible to listen too, none of the “decent” brands are japanese. I paid £700 for a Linn lp12 with Ittok LVII arm, when a student, s/h im 1989, and I’d still expect to get £300+ now. And it still sounds fantastic.

technics sp10 – my mate used to build them into a layered corian plinth and they sound excellent – he would have punters bring their linns round to compare before buying the sp10.

Cougar

Cougar, how much would you like for the Yamaha AV receiver? Fancy an upgrade on my one. Oh, and where are you too?

East Lance.

Oh, I don’t know. Fifty quid? It’s worth that at least I reckon, it’s a great bit of kit and it pains me to part with it (I replaced it with essentially the same thing only with HDMI interconnects). Back when I bought it, I spent the afternoon auditioning Richer Sounds’ entire stock. (-: I’ve got the manual and remote and such as well.

SnS
    Free Member

Mr Woppit,

Higher end Japanese integrates can be stunning ! – Go and listen to some Accuphase as an example.

As far as HiFi amplification was concerned, I was a Naim a holic / obsessive for many years and have had many many of their amps, pre-amps, PSU’s and power amps ( etc) over the last 20 years but I’ve come to realise that, not only are there other brands out there, some of them sound very good !

I still like the Naim sound, but I have started to prefer something different. – I’ve changed over the years & so have my preferences in musical presentation.

Chris

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Selling advice needed from HiFi people..is my gear worth anything?’ is closed to new replies.