Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Selkirk CRC Marathon yesterday
  • gazza100

What a day for it, even though the weather forcast said it was to be sh1te. Completed the full marathon in just over 6hrs, not the fastest time granted. Its the first time I've completed the full distance due to lack of fitness and always cut onto the 75k course and still took about 7hrs, so yesterday was a big improvement for me.

Roll on Kielder 😕 !!!!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Agreed, was a great day for it. Even more pleasing when it started lashing down with rain when we left! Course was excellent as usual and I even managed to avoid the pile ups on that first descent. Did it 2 years ago when Inners was the 2nd last climb-using it as the last climb this time round made those rock steps an absolute nightmare. Brilliant last couple of descents too!

br
    Free Member

Only 45k for me, but I did ride a 30k off/on road round-trip to get there – so don't feel too bad.

Great course, especially the downhill single track through the woods.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

yeah really superb. I did the 45k route, anyone else think that it felt longer than 45? I also don't think the route profile for the last 3rd fitted. Cracking day though, what a route.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

100k for me in around 6.5 hrs

great course as usual, never saw one bottle neck.

lots of mincers at Yair and Elibank though 🙄

really enjoyed the new enduro section after the portage up the broomy law

Diane
    Free Member

Good day out 45k for me – quite enough. Right hand track down from 3B yeha!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Fab day out: great buzz, cracking trails and friendly folk! 6:32 for the 85k for me which was huge improvement on last year. Feel ok today too which is wierd.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Brilliant ride – course & weather was the best out of the last 4 years i've done it. Big thanks to Pete Laing for the course and all the strimming!

Did the 85km and for once managed to pace myself on the first two climbs so i didn't blow up at the end – came home in 4:38 which i was well happy with.

jonb
    Free Member

Echo the above. Great course, My mate got the gps log of it so we might see if we can go back and do it again (not sure if some of it is private land though?). Did the full marathon and surprised myself with 4hrs 38minutes. I was aiming for 5-5.30 (knowing I did grassington in 5, selkirk in 6 the year before). Got to the Innerleithen climb and felt good so just went flat out up there. Feel confident for (finishing) the Kielder now.

stooo
    Free Member

Pipalarge and jonb…

Fair effort getting round the 85km in 4:38! Well done.

We got to the 50km feed zone just after cut off and sent round the 70km route to finish… gutted.

Fantastic route though, some super techy stuff on there! Weather was great too. Great day all around. Could have done with folk who got off to walk the steep bits not choosing the best riding line to walk on, but ho hum, that's the way with these things.

More preparation needed for the kielder I think. 🙂

gazza100

Feel confident for (finishing) the Kielder now.

Im still not sure about.

Stu

Great course – it just gets better every year! Tough day though!

Managed to snap my mech clean off at the top of the enduro track before the climb up the SUW to the 3 brethren. Have to say a massive thanks to the guy who gave me a powerlink – much appreciated! If your on here drop me an email (address in profile) and I'll pop one back in the post.

Bodged the chain back on and singlespeeded through Yair forest to the next feed station where amazingly the mechanic had a rear mech and was able to straighten the hanger out. Just about managed to ride the rest of the course despite my legs being knackered from the earlier singlespeeding. Finished in just over 6 hours and am definately feeling it today! Cheers to all the folk I chatted to along the way – great atmosphere as ever. 🙂

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Jonb – must have been you i was chatting too? If you were at 4.38 i must have been a couple of mins later (took my time off my bike computer). As i mentioned check out mtbguisborough.ning.com if you fancy a spin out down my way.

Stu – good work completing it, with that mechanical i'd have been tempted to call it a day!

keavo
    Free Member

did the 45k (3hr 9m), and think the distance was right. it felt shorter than 2007 which took me about 4hours. its an excellent route, really enjoyed it.

Stu

Pippa – cheers – would definately have given up had the guy at the feed station not had a rear mech – singlespeeding that course would be mental!

Dougal
    Free Member

Colin May was first SS home, about a minute ahead of me. I did a 4:14. Mental.

He also rode the road sportive the day before SS.

phyncra
    Free Member

dougal please, how many times – stop encouraging the single speeders.

cakeeater
    Free Member

Stu – if you were riding an Orange ST4 then it was me that handed over the powerlink. Pleased to hear you managed to get all the way round. No need to send it back but thanks for the offer.

Stu

Cake eater – yep that was me – thanks again! Typically the one day I forgot to bring my own.

jonb
    Free Member

Yep that was me pippalarge. Do any of you ride a 29er scandal with a alfine hub? Mental on the downhills.

Saintly
    Free Member

Cracking day out! Last time I rode Selkirk 3 years ago I cam off in a mountain rescue land rover. This year I managed the full course in 4hrs 45, very happy with that. I@m guessing I was riding with a few of you guys at some point, I was riding a Yeti Arc quite erractically.

I am also hopeful of finishing Kielder…..

RepacK
    Free Member

What do people have as the actual distance? Certainly wasnt 100k & Im not sure it was 85 either..My GPS had it at less than 80. Still managed 5.22 in the veteran cat.

Trekster

Hey Saintly, well done. Take it shoulder is on the mend and brake lever was an easy fix? Just noticed I have misread my shift sheet for Keilder, I am working( off in `11 doh !!! )that weekend with no hols left 🙄

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Stu – i saw you just after you broke it – asked if you were alright and you said "not unless you have a mech hanger for an st4" – glad to see your day was saved!

Stu

Pippa – vaguely remember that – obviously just after I'd done it as I wasn't looking properly – mech hanger was still there it was the stupidly designed XT shadow mech that broke!

Distance wise if you look at the profile they gave out it looked to be just under 80km.

Diane
    Free Member

3 of my buddies clocked it at about 74?? All very strange

radoggair
    Free Member

my event was horrendous. Was over the first large climb in the first group with nick craig etc in it but on the first downhill following on from it someone crashed in front of me, i ran over him and crashed myself. 2 dead legs and whiplash forced me to pull out although alot of you may have seen me at the 2nd feed station sitting on the seat (planet x top) before heading back to the start.
    Done the road day before so all was not lost.

Saintly
    Free Member

Cheers Trekster, shoulder mended pretty quickly, replacement helmet arrived on Friday too 😀

Distance on my friends GPS for the full route was 74k I think, it certainly felt short once at the final feed station, i was expecting another 20k from that point.

jordie
    Free Member

great event and i was feeling great until my seat clamp split in two that was my day over .Sorry to all the people that seen me going back along a section of the course thinking that they were going the wrong way but the marshall told me that was the quickest way back to selkirk.

Diane
    Free Member

Radoggair – divine retribution for the WHW thread? 😉

RepacK
    Free Member

I had it at about 74k – still good ride. The pace of that first hour was bloody mental..

Saintly
    Free Member

"The pace of that first hour was bloody mental.." Totally agree, I kept the lead group in sight for the first 40 minutes but paid for it later on!! 😳

radoggair
    Free Member

Radoggair – divine retribution for the WHW thread?

thought it would bite me on the bum sooner or later. Note taken as well 😥

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

My GPS registered 73.92k and 7710ft of climbing.

Just over 6 hours for me – took it nice and gently this year so I didn't get crippling cramp like last year! (A result of trying to maintain Radoggairs pace 😉 )

Dougal
    Free Member

radoggair – I was the rider you spoke with about what bit of the course was best, shortly before the feed station you decided to pull. Waiting on word about how the other faller, Sean, is. Will update when I know.

radoggair
    Free Member

Leslie bike shop or blue top?.. Dougal

The crash left my right leg in pain so i couldn't stand up or put any power through it. The downs i was making time up but that was it

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is there an online results list?

gazza100

Usually up by Tuesday or Wednesday on the Mtb Marathon site

Dougal
    Free Member

radoggair – Blue top. Did you ride back or get a lift?

mollyiom
    Free Member

#
    jonb – Member

Yep that was me pippalarge. Do any of you ride a 29er scandal with a alfine hub? Mental on the downhills.
    Posted 8 hours ago # Report-Post

yeah that was me! had to make up some time somewhere, finished the 85k 4hours 48 well pleased.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Selkirk CRC Marathon yesterday’ is closed to new replies.