Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Self-righteous walkers, what gives? …FFS!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

So there I was happily dropping down from Stanage in the morning sunshine (definitely on a bridleway, I hasten to add), when I came across a bunch of walkers. I was already going pretty slow as, to be frank, rocks still scare the bejesus out of me, but I slowed up even further apon reaching the group and said a frendly "Hiya" to them. They just stood there frostily on the path, blocking the way like nylon-clad statues. 'Oh well' I thought and tiptoed around them on the rocks, taking this as some sort of novel slow-speed technical challenge. As I went past the last one he said "This isn't a bridleway you know", at which I (correctly) responded "I think it is, actually". Then in reply, as I rode past – and as if it were the voice of God himself – "No It Is Not!!" he thundered. One miserable nylon-clad, stick-carrying man.

It made my blood boil. I mean I almost felt like turning round, pointing out the bridleway clearly marked on my OS map and following them all the way to the top of Stanage – just to show them the numerous 'Bridleway' markers pointing the way down the trail. But I didn't. Just one bad apple, I suppose..?

sofatester
    Free Member

2/10

househusband

Move to Scotland?

thomthumb
    Free Member

pointing out the bridleway clearly marked on my OS map

you should have.

I got told not to ride a BOAT once. "It's private" was the reason.

I now have a pre prepared speech to the effect that I ride where I please without consideration for anyone except myself.

That gets them going. I gave up reasoned argument long ago.

BigJohn

There are a few mixed footpath/cycleways around our way and when some old git gives me grief for riding carefully along it, I just very politely tell him that I was brought up to believe that it was very rude to tell lies, and he ought to be ashamed of himself.

That usually brings on a stroke at the very least.

BigJohn

pre prepared

Is that the same as prepared? 8)

coatesy
    Free Member

Small print in the Rambler's rule book,if there's more than half a dozen of them, then at least one has to be an outspoken dick. I usually tell them I have special dispensation under the dilligaf ruling(google it if unsure).

Is that the same as prepared?

Whatever. 😀

Its the next level of prepreparedness.

Blower
    Free Member

+1 tomthumb

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…there were 6, so I guess that rule follows well 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think I would have been tempted to show him on the map – saying something along the lines of " perhaps I am confused – I thought I was on this ( point at map) which is a bridleway – and the signs at the top did say bridleway – am I lost?"

However its not a situation I have really come across often – although I have had someone in Scotland try to tell me I wasn't allowed on footpaths!

uplink
    Free Member

although I have had someone in Scotland try to tell me I wasn't allowed on footpaths!

Did he have a dog?

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive tried all sorts of responses. In the end Ive just ignored them. I couldent reconcile with the idiots / self righteous / angry etc lot. So now I either ignor them or when told "this is a footpath" I agree.

A cheery wave and hello and Im on my way, footpath or bridleway – ride them all and enjoy the outdoors till there is non left.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Tried googling the Dilligaf Ruling, and ended up back here, which told me to google it, so I did and ended up back here. Now I'm stuck in a bit of a loop!

Burts
    Free Member
    coatesy
    Free Member

Dilligaf-Does it look like I give a F***.Courtesy of Kevin"Bloody"Wilson. Googled it a while back and it was there then, sorry.
    Edit-yup, still there.

Gary_C

although I have had someone in Scotland try to tell me I wasn't allowed on footpaths!

Probably an Englishman on holiday……

uplink
    Free Member

Probably an Englishman on holiday…..

or a VSO worker

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Trimix is right. The rude ramblers which i've met are a minority, as generally most of them out there are great people. I just tend to ignore the scrotes. But always be polite if approached, nothing infuriates them more. They want you to lose it. Don't give them the pleasure. They're mushrooms.

Nick

he's wrong, you're right, some people are dicks, some people aren't, sometimes it rains, sometimes it's sunny etc

scaredypants

last rambler* I spoke to offered me a cup of tea; the one before held open a gate and said I'd need a bit of speed up for that steep bit (presumably laughed her arse off when I started pushing about 50 yards further on 🙄 )

(*this was in the lakes – only see walkers round my way, I reckon you're not a rambler if you haven't any mint cake on your person)

antigee

technically in derbyshire but i suspect the walker was a yorkshireman and just testing you or more likely just a normal yorkshireman.

shermer75
    Free Member

I had the same problem once and yes, I stopped to point it out on the map. He hated it because I was clearly in the right (although it took his friend to rather sheepishly point this out as well before he would believe me). The whole incident left me feeling slightly soiled at the time, but looking back I'm quite satisfied and smug about the whole thing 😉

Joolz
    Free Member

Oh I love this, it's just adorable. I feel your pain. Once I got the same treatment by a family when they were walking on the national cycle path (flat, wide, gravelly…the path I mean, but same goes for the family).

Some people are simply unfathomable – think of them as an unusual quirk or contryside ornament.

Harmless, but you've got to giggle.

sherry
    Free Member

Honestly what's that all about? You sound like you did everything right and people still whine! I have had a few people tell me where I can and cant ride in Scotland. One of which was when I was on part of the west highland way. I have taken the relevant page from the Scottish outdoor access code with me to point out to such people that I am very entitled to be where I am. I don't mean to be offensive but on most occasions the people have been English (around the touristy highland walks) and I give them the benefit of the doubt of not knowing the code. I get real annoyed when I catch ramblers blocking trails to stop MTB's like they do on Glenifer Braes. Feckers!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

The miserable old fücker might have been lost, thought in his murky mind he was on a footpath, hence his challenge to you.

Can't really see that being the case, but never mind.

snowslave

We had a FANTASTIC experience with an angry farmer Wednesday night. He went truly mental, state of the nation speech with much effin and jeffin. He threatened to ring the cops. We just completely ignored him.

But maybe a little dance routine whilst singing wreck a party rock by kingkurt would be a better response? If we all did the same one all around the country when confronted by these people all the better

We had a FANTASTIC experience with an angry farmer Wednesday night

FP or BW? If BW please tell us where.

We've had a few confrontational themed threads this week. We need some helmet cam footage soon.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Move to Scotland?

Nah, you wouldn't like it. Have you considered Wrexham?

snowslave

It was fp to be fair. Not through his land or anything like that. He was a very angry man indeed.

brakes
    Free Member

just tell them you have the landowner's permission

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i hate walkers, they think they rule the path when they are walking in your direction, just slow down and steadily ride past them that's all i do, most of the people around here say hi and give a smile, but u get the odd nob head that's old and only jealous of your bike 😛 ignore them or if they carry on spray mud at em next time ;p

firestarter
    Free Member

on my regular cycle i pass thru a posh golf course but running thru it is a bridleway. one day last summer i got shouted and screamed at by a group so i stopped and enquired as to the problem

i was told they didnt pay membership to have the likes of me cycle thru their golf course . i pointed out the signs that it was indeed a bridleway and i could if i chose ride my horse thru the course

one of them a woman was particulary nasty and vocal and was non too pleased when i pointed out the irony of the situation that 'her a woman, was telling me a man. that i wasnt allowed on a golf course' even her male pals chuckled 😉

Its nearly always old people isn't it. Except the time on the Isle of Wight when some little kid started yelling at us on a BW. He soon ran off to daddy when we burst out laughing.

At least the oldies are less likely to pull a knife on you and nick your bike though.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Perhaps the rambler in question was absolutely, positively convinced he was right. When he wasn't.

I'd track him down and offer a forum membership.

zaskar
    Free Member

Don't let it get to you.

I mean he had to shout it out loud-what a boring bloke with nothing else to do!

I would definately check to be on the safe side with another map.

Otherwise laugh it off and shout "Yes it is!" in the distance LOL!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

We had a FANTASTIC experience with an angry farmer Wednesday night. He went truly mental, state of the nation speech with much effin and jeffin. He threatened to ring the cops.

Trespass is not an arrestable offence …swearing at someone is . Tell him to ring the cops 😉

Joolz
    Free Member

Let's not tar all walkers with the same brush though, I think the ones mentioned here are definately in the minority. Most people out in the countryside are considerate of each other.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was in the New Forest on a big wide clearly marked cycle path. Approaching a family who were walking and I shout 'Hiya, coming past!'. The dad turns around, runs across the path to block me, grabs my handle bars and screams at me. Get off your f*king bike, you could kill my children. This is a foot path. Read the f*kin signs.

At this point he turns and points at the sign by the side of the trail with a big picture of a bike and the words Cycle Way. He let go of my bike and went a bit quiet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Self-righteous walkers, what gives? …FFS!’ is closed to new replies.