Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sektor lowers on Pike uppers – possible?
  • jim600
    Free Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to put sektor lowers on pike uppers/stantions?

I have a set of pike 454 (95-140 u-turn) which have cracked lowers. But I have a set of sektor r forks which are like new. (Both coil)

The pikes have u turn and motion control etc, but the sektors are the base model with just rebound adjust. So I’d prefer to keep the pikes working if possible.

Does anyone know if the sektor lowers would swap without any problems?

Thanks!

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s probably easier to swap the damping cartridge out of the Pikes and into the Sectors?

julianwilson
    Free Member

…and lighter!

RustyMac

There is lots you could do to the Sektors to make them nicer than the Pikes.

you could make them 150mm U-Turn with the change of a spring £45 ish and taking the adjuster off the Pikes.

You can upgrade the damping to dual flow

Swap the moco over or upgrade that to RTC3

Lots of options.

As others have suggested it will probably be easier to swap the moco as a start.

RustyMac

double post sorry

jim600
    Free Member

What if I wanted the 95-140 u-turn. I assume that wouldnt swap into the sektors (being 150mm)?

I tended to run the pikes at around 100mm for climbing and 130 for trails, so the 150 sektors are a bit long for the bike the pikes are on.

I have 110-150 u turn sektors on another bike and they are perfect. So if I could find a way of building something similar out of the other standard 150 sektors and the dead pikes – I’d be happy.

So its either a case of swapping the 95-140 u turn spring and damping cartridge into the 150mm r sektors or the sektor lowers onto the pike uppers.

Would either of those options be possible? Or I may just have to have an oily afternoon seeing what fits! 😕 🙂

EDIT:

Sorry posted at the same time as you Rusty Mac – Thanks for the info.

150-110 u turn is probably a little long for the frame, is there any way of keeping the 95-140 u turn spring from the pikes and sticking it in the sektors?

RustyMac

So its either a case of swapping the 95-140 u turn spring and damping cartridge into the 150mm r sektors

I’d take this route to give you more options if you change your mind later.

jim600
    Free Member

Thanks, so there would be no issue with the longer stantions on the 150mm forks? (I assume, I havnt measured them without the lowers on) The 95-140 u turn assembly would just fit in place of a sektor 110-150 – and just limit the travel by 10/15mm?

RustyMac

I would be very surprised if the Stantions would limit the travel. Yes they will overlap a little more than before but they should not hamper use. If you want a decimate go/no go before going ahead with stripping them then drop Si at Loco tuning an email. He will be able to tell you for certain.

DrP

Well, the longer forks will go “through” 140mm of travel, all the way to zero, so should be able to fit the shorter coil in there no probs….

DrP

jim600
    Free Member

Thanks DrP/RustyMac, (I sent an email to loco, so will see what Si says on Monday).

In terms of the travel. If I fitted the shorter coil and wound the u-turn all the way down, will the forks have a shorter axle to crown measurement or is it just going to leave 10mm of unused stantion. IE will the 95-140 u turn assembly work or just fit? Would I actually get a shorter axle to crown than a set of 115-150 sektors?

Sorry for the neverending question – I’ve played around with motocross fork shimming/oils/springs etc plenty of times, first time swapping parts about on mtb ones.

DrP

I would imagine that it would “sit 10mm into its original travel”, rather than have “10mm spare at full compression”.
    that’s just an educated guess based on previous experience (I.e when you put a spacer into rebas, it still has the same a2c length at full compression, just doesn’t extend as far with zero compression…

DrP

jim600
    Free Member

Sounds like It should be ok to do then, I might get them stripped down tomorrow and see what it looks like and then see if Loco has any advice before rebuilding. Thanks for all the pointers.

jim600
    Free Member

For anyone who might have been interested, I stripped these down this morning to see what might fit. (I took all our forks of our bikes incase different models/ages were different, so serviced 2 sets of pikes and 2 sets of sektors). Turns out its not possible. The Pike upper are 30mm longer than the sektors and the lowers are 10mm longer.

Which means than when you put the sektor lowers on the pike uppers you are left with the same 150mm travel as the sektors even with the shorter u-turn setup. You can’t run the pike u-turn assembly in the sektor uppers either as the pike u turns have a circlip fitted base spring in the stantion (same as lyriks), on the sektors the springs run right through the stantions. (also different spring assemblys so you can’t swap springs over between u turn assemblys either).

On the bright side, I was able to make up some spacers for the sektor u turn assembly to bring the sektors down to the same axle-crown as the pikes when the sektors are at 110mm and the pikes at 95mm – so problem solved. Also swapped the motion control damper over into the sektors.

So everything in the RH legs swaps over, but the LH internals are different and lowers/uppers do fit, but don’t allow for u-turn.

Forks and u-turn assembly:

Pike/Sektor hybrid

Longer pike uppers

What I was left with:

chunkychew
    Free Member

An excellent and very informative post! Ta.

RustyMac

Bloody good effort that man, apologies for misleading you with what I thought was possible.

jim600
    Free Member

No worries, they needed doing anyway – And I ended up with a perfect length set of sektors with pike damper anyway, just in a different way to how I had planned.

PS. For anyone doing coil shock rebuilds – I highly recommend rock shox pm600 grease, never used it before, but it’s the best suspension grease I’ve ever used. 8)

accu
    Free Member

thanks !!
    answers some questions for me…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sektor lowers on Pike uppers – possible?’ is closed to new replies.