Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • seized seatpost-suggestions please!!!
  • stevede
    Free Member

Hi there,
    bought a 2nd hand identiti 666 last summer and still haven't got round to sorting the annoyance that is the stuck seatpost problem it came with. Think i'm correct in saying that its a steel frame and stock post is a gusset one which is going to be aluminium and the 2 have welded together good and proper.
    I've tried twisting it,hammering down on the post (saddle removed) with a block of wood,tried penetrating oil but no joy. Haven't got a vice so that method is out for now.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Steve

scaredypants
    Eldrik
    Free Member

Or alternatively
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/10/road/stuck_seatpost_99640

The 'heat the steel frame with a hairdryer' and 'Coke as a rust penetrator' approach worked for my Inbred and carbon wrap post.

Good luck!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Heat the frame with boiling water and at the same time freeze the seatpost with a bag of ice, the heat differntial should break the bond along with the seatpost in a vive and use the frame as the lever for twisting.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

I removed an aluminium post from an aluminium frame by tapping a thread into the post, screwing in a bolt welded onto a slide hammer & whacking it out with the slide hammer. Worked a treat – mainly as a result of my engineer pal!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘seized seatpost-suggestions please!!!’ is closed to new replies.