• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Seized BB in a Ti frame
  • Soup
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ti Kona Hei Hei hardtail with a totally seized BB in it. I’ve just bent my vice trying to get it out and am struggling to say the least.

Any tips good people?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I removed a bb cup many years ago by dissolving it in hydrocloric acid. Cleaned the BB area of the frame up a treat, too.

I would recommend proceding with caution however.

epicyclo

You are turning it in the right direction?

(I have been known to have a brain seizure and try the wrong way – especially when I have the bike upside down – embarassing 🙂 )

Soup
    Free Member

Yep – def turning the right way. Was hoping to sell the frame, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen at the mo. Thought it would be a quick strip down, clean and polish.

I was so wrong.

karnali
    Free Member

size of frame is it? may be interested, tried pouring coke into frame to leave sloshing around the bb works a treat fro seatposts

Soup
    Free Member

Cool. I’ll give the coke a try. 19″ btw.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its a HT2 bb, could you try and get the bearings out of it and then just carefully saw through the aluminium cup?
    If its sq taper or octalink, then that wont work.
    Good luck with that though!

Soup
    Free Member

Square taper unfortunately.

br
    Free Member

Heat?

jimsmith
    Free Member

Steel cup in Ti frame?
    heat
    penetrating oil (graphite or plus gas)
    over
    and
    over
    again…
    Time and persistance is the most important thing. I used to do the seized stuff for a bike recycling coop in oxford. dont rush it 🙄

last resort cut the cups until you are nearly through and then use a screwdriver and hammer to break the shell inwards.
    I had a bath of penetrating oil made from a cut up yogart pot so the frame could be left to soak for days…
    oh and on occasion Ive used plumbers freeze which can be great tho more useful on ali frames
    good luck 😳

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I use a BB removal tool that can also be screwed into threads of a square taper BB to give you a firm attachment then for really tight ones I slide a 6 foot marquee pole over the handle for a bit of extra leverage – not failed yet.

If you can’t get it done I’d like the frame too 🙂

jimsmith
    Free Member

Pedros do a great tool for screwing into a BB:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=14426

Cyclo do an all in one job and a kit, Id go with the pedros one though.

an old style seat qr (1/4 inch i think) will fit the axle thread too
    really important tools for the BB removal armory 🙂

Soup
    Free Member

Thanks all. The tool itself is not slipping out. I have completely bent my vice with the tool in it. It is soaking at the moment. I guess I’ll just persevere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have completely bent my vice

Do you work out?

Soup
    Free Member

Thanks all. The tool itself is not slipping out. I have completely bent my vice with the tool in it. It is soaking at the moment. I guess I’ll just persevere.

Soup
    Free Member

Success! 4ft scaffold pole did it. Turns out it wasn’t the cups that were stuck in the frame, but the bb unit itself welded to both cups. Thanks for all the tips guys. Time for a brew.

Macavity
    Free Member

Attacking titanium with acid can cause hydrogen embrittlement in titanium. Although a mixture of nitric acid and hydrofluoric acid can be used to chemical machine titanium, but will still attack the titanium.
    Heating titanium in air will cause the titanium to discolour (badly) since titanium readily absorbes oxygen and nitrogen.
    http://www.keytometals.com/Article42.htm

Either use liquid nitrogen forced through the centre of the BB axle to freeze / shrink the BB and remove, or Loctite freezeandrelease, Wurth Rost Off, Ambersil Rust Flash, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0BaowQvL6c etc

Soup
    Free Member

Quite glad I didn’t have to go through all that! Good to know for future though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Seized BB in a Ti frame’ is closed to new replies.