Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Seeing bikes you've sold
  • JonR
    Free Member

I bought a powdercoated 456 frame on the classifieds forum about a year ago, a lovely green it was and I was rather chuffed with it. I built it up with some rather decent kit and I hated it when riding on anything that wasn’t sloping away from me. So I sold the fame, once again on here.
    The bloke who bought it from me sold it on a month later unbuilt (is that a word) stating that this other have had put her foot down and I though nothing more of it. The next time I saw it, it was for sale on ebay fully built up (my poor quality handiwork in liberal application of helicopter tape giving it away) until last night walking down the banks of the Mersey on the way to the pub somebody happily bombed past me on it.

Do other STWers ever see their old machines whilst out and about or is this just a lovely coincidence?

charliedontsurf

I have seen bikes I have sold and bikes I have had stolen.

A Santa cruz chameleon frame went off via eBay and the guy did a horrible build (and complained about the size) I was tempted to buy the lovely frame back just to save it from it’s horrible new build.

The stolen bike was spotted five years later. I followed it and saw it was In a shite state, problably not the thief riding it.. So let it go. At least it was being used.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s a bit like seeing ex-girlfriends again.

I sold an old Scott hardtail to the now ex-boyfriend of an (already) ex-girlfriend. Was really odd when I saw that again….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

People sell their bikes?

JonR
    Free Member

From time to time, sometime people have more than one bike as well.

portlyone

Some people’s chances of seeing a bike they once owned are slightly higher than others Jon… 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

It’s a bit like seeing ex-girlfriends again.

sometimes the ride is as good as you remember.

Beagleboy

I sold my lovely old Orange O2 frame to a chap who used to post on here. I didn’t mind at the time because I wasn’t riding it anymore. It just hung on my garage wall as a reminder of all the good times we’d had. Broke my heart though when I later discovered he’d had it powder coated and converted into a commuter. 😥 What an ignominious end to a cracking mountain bike. 😐

Don’t think I’ll ever sell Ermintrude, my Patriot, or Victoria my P7 now. Even though I never ride Ermintrude anymore, and Victoria is purely a winter bike now. Too many memories. 🙂

B. 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

perhsaps we should have a thread where those of us who’ve bought frames from other stw-ers post up a picture to say ‘look what i did to your pride and joy!’.

I’ve still got a couple of bikes whose frames I bought on here: one looks pretty sensible but the other might make the former owner’s toes curl! 😆

TN
    Free Member

I bought a frame on pinkbike and had it powdercoated and built it up so it looked (in my opinion) amazing. Sent a pic to the seller and he was really pleased to see what I’d done with it – and he also agreed it looked great, which was even better. I didn’t want him to think I’d done something bad to it.

JonR
    Free Member

perhsaps we should have a thread where those of us who’ve bought frames from other stw-ers post up a picture to say ‘look what i did to your pride and joy!’.

That’s a cracking idea.

binners

Hora could potentially be here for weeks

I keep meaning to post some pictures up of my Pace RC305. I bought it with a dinged toptube, and a bare metal finish off the classifieds. I had it repaired and powdercoated bright orange. Looks lovely.

hora
    Free Member

JonR was it this one? Colour looks ‘blue’ here but it was a Yeti-Turquoise.

JonR
    Free Member

It wasn’t Hora, it was very green, looked like this when I built it.

nickhead
    Free Member

I tend to see bikes I’ve sold cos I usually sell them to people I know… Sold my white Mk1 PA to a mate (who’d sold all his bikes to other friends to fund a car project)… then bought it back a year later complete with Dyna-Rod orange rattlecan job… now in process of being rebuilt with a nice forest green powdercoat.

Sold my trusty Mega-steed Commencal Supreme 6 to a chap who then broke his leg on it.. then did a lovely job of respraying it with a blue/yellow combo

PiknMix
    Free Member

One of my mates invited a guy along to a ride we were doing many moons back, his friend turned up on my recently stolen rockhopper!

I had had a pay out on it and his story seemed genuine so I let it go.
    He couldn’t ride it for toffee which was a bit hard to watch.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I saw my old Enduro being sold on ebay a year after I sold it on ebay for more than I sold it for. All he had done was put a new chain cassette and chainring on. Looked exactly the same as when it left me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Seeing bikes you've sold’ is closed to new replies.