Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Security – chaining bikes.
  • haddock
    Free Member

Bolt cuttering motorbike chains with ease

Having watched this vid on another thread, It made me think that if the chain was high enough there's no way it could be cropped with bolt cutters, a noisy cutting disc would have to be used.

When the chain is at anchored at ground level the entire weight of the body can, and seems to be needed, to crop the chain. If a bike were stored vertically on the back wheel, and the anchor plate and chain was at shoulder or head height, it would be hard to place enough leverage. Even if the croppers were placed against a wall, looking at the vid I dont think they would get enough force by pushing sideways to crop a decent chain.

Anyone had any thefts of bikes secured in this manner?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm thinking that works if you've got a solid wall to put the anchor point into. I've got breeze block walls and a concrete floor, so it's a risk I have to take. 🙂

z1ppy

surely my dear it easier to prise a anshor off a (single layer) wall than it is from concrete floor.
    Some-one did mention torc do a wall specific anchor, might be worth looking at..
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flatfish
    Free Member

thats exactly how i've installed mine but fortunatly i've never had a visit.
    got an oxford docking station at head height then a gold rated chain to lock up two bikes hanging from the rear wheels, enough chain slack is taken up by the bikes that the chain is nowhere near the wall to stop horizontal pressure with bolt cutters, just like vertical pressure used on a chain bolted to the ground

haddock
    Free Member

That torc anchor would be ideal but using part of a garage metal structure is also possible. I'm sure lots of people just fit anchor plates at gound level, surely the manufacturers should promote fitting them high up and keeping chain length as short as possible, mine came with no such tips.

walla24
    Free Member

so basically considering the generally smaller size/'ardness of bike chains….if they want your bike they'r going to get it?
    worries me!

Gooner
    Free Member

i think all the chains in that video are 13mm
    i use 16mm Torc chains which are guaranteed not to be bolt cropped using a hand held bolt cropper
    you can also get 19mm chains as well but these are really heavy

as said many times before if someone wants them they will get them!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

19mm chain. Weighs a tonne, cost a lot, but it ain't going anywhere, which is the point.

haddock
    Free Member

Well thats the answer Almax series 3, At shoulder height! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Security – chaining bikes.’ is closed to new replies.