Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Security and storage What do you use?
  • duncancallum

Right I have 3 bikes and a couple of frames an loads of wheels and tyres in my garage and its a bit cramped. what with all the other shite in there,

I have an up and over door and I am planning on getting rid of it, and putting a strong personal door in.

I am also splitting the garage in half to keep the bike stuff separate. bit with an other personal door through, I need this to as its my only non house route to the back garden.

I want the bestest bike on a ground anchor and the others locked but easily accessable so on a rack or hooks the frames but with locking points I can just hang up same as the rims.

easier the better as by nature I am a scruffy git so it needs to be nice and simple to use.

sise wise its gonna be 10×12 ish.

so any inspiration or images

cheers

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I was recently the victim of a targeted garage break-in, and they didn’t get away with any bikes, most likely for the following reasons:

1) I have a Garage Defender on the up-and-over. They tried to break it with crowbars but failed, so were forced to get in/out by breaking through corrugated roof sheets
    2) I have large Abus 12mm link chains running through the bikes, attached to the metal beams of the garage with D-Locks (no ground anchors)
    3) Bikes hang from hooks on wall. You have to wiggle MTBs a bit to get the wheels out – very hard to do when bikes are all attached together
    4) The most expensive bikes are also D-Locked to metal garage beams

lustyd
    Free Member

Even a d lock is trivial to break in the privacy of a garage, especially if it’s full of tools. A ground anchor may pierce the waterproof membrane under your floor but it won’t stop theft because whatever you use to connect it to your bike can Ben cut in seconds with a portable angle grinder. Even if they don’t take your bike, a set of Allen keys will have every single component off in five minutes.
    Get good insurance, and whatever locks your insurer specifies. Anything else will just cost more money. Also, take pictures of all your stuff so you know what you have.

tjagain

Good locks will help – 18mm of case hardened steel that has to be cut twice will slow folk down and a battery powered grinder will take a long time. But personally – our bikes live in our small flat – all seven of them.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Almax 4 chain and ground anchor + blank shotgun cartridge trip wire alarm. Scares the crap out of you and that’s when you know what’s coming as you feel your shin hit the wire……

odsbodkins
    Free Member

Keep the bikes, especially expensive ones in your house if you can. It’s my preferred option as far as security goes.

ajantom

Deadbolts (Enfield ones) on the garage door, and locks on the bikes (if I remember)

But to be perfectly honest if a thief wants in then they’ll probably get in, so make sure your insurance is up to scratch.

I moved to an area with a very low crime rate, seemed best in the long run 😉 the wife though it was because the town is lovely. It is, but I had a look at the stats too. Just had a look again…..1 burglary of a dwelling place here last year. I suspect my bikes are safe!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Ground anchor and heavy chain. Nothing is really thief-proof, but hopefully most of our bikes are low value to thieves anyway (being old tandems with obselete and well-used components). Neighbour had an attempted break-in recently while they were away, have heard several stories of bikes going from garage break-ins around here. Lovely area and you’d think low crime but close enough for scrotes to drive up in the night (in fact “suspicious vehicle turned back by police” is the sort of thing the local paper reports).

mcnultycop

I wouldn’t advertise what my security measures are in full on the internet, but Asgard shed in garage is a start!

duncancallum

ta

thats why the garage door is going as its too insecure by its very nature.

I was planning a wall mounted rack with each bike locked individually.

no windows and an alarm.

nothings truly safe all you can do is make it harder

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

A visible deterrent that doesn’t shout that you have something worth stealing inside is good. It’s ideal if they don’t even attempt a break in.

We have a german shepherd but as he cost more than my car so I’m not sure I can say he’s good value!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Security and storage What do you use?’ is closed to new replies.