Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Maxle cam lever snapped – any similar issues?
  • razorrazoo

Maxle cam lever snapped his morning. The pin which goes through the axle which the lever is attached to seems to have sheared.

Before I pay the inflated price for a new one I was wondering whether just to get the hex key version as less to go wrong for little hassle.

Has anyone else had similar issues or have I just had a dodgy item?

BadlyWiredDog

I did the same to a 15mm Pike Maxle, but it was cack-handedness to be honest. I think if it were a big issue, you’d have heard all about it by now. You con’t need to use very much pressure to be honest, but if you do overdo, that seems to be the weakest point.

BadlyWiredDog

The Stealth Maxle is neat enough btw, but you need to carry quite a big allen key to open and close it, which kind of off-sets the weight-saving over the standard Maxle somewhat.

ratherbeintobago

Isn’t the internal cam Maxle meant to be better? Can’t remember the name but it’s the one that comes on things like the RS-1.

Northwind

Which end? I broke the lever off my fork one, seems to be fairly common. replaced it with a stealth, cheaper and lighter. And needing a tool is no disadvantage really, when do you ever want to remove a wheel when you don’t have a tool handy? Quick release is a weird legacy thing IMO rather than something actually benificial.

(doesn’t need a big allen key, unless you massively overtighten, it should be done to a max of 13nm!)

jimmy

I did this on my Pikes, fortunately on an out-the-box new bike so had it replaced for free. Not sure if I was heavy handed or not, certainly wasn’t busting a ball to tighten it at that.

benpinnick

If the bike isnt too old it will be warrantied no worries.

Northwind

I was told “overtightened”, no warranty. Which to be fair, may be true, so I didn’t argue the toss. It was never massively tight but who really knows what the correct pressure is?

When you look at the broken part there’s basically no metal in it.

razorrazoo

Second hand fork (which was in very good nick) so no warranty unfortunately.

I don’t even know when it happened as the lever came away when I was undoing it. I’ve never done it up with excess force. Agree with Northwind that there is not a lot of metal in the part which broke.

Looks like stealth is the best option. What size hex key does it take?

BadlyWiredDog

Looks like stealth is the best option. What size hex key does it take?

8mm (in my head it was larger. I actually carry one as a spare, it’s not very heavy and I guess that shows I don’t totally trust the standard one)

9-12.5 N-m torque it says here.

razorrazoo

Thanks BWD

belugabob
    Free Member

A lever that snaps, when you “over tighten” it, sounds like a single use torque wrench, to me.
    Surely, this makes it not fit for purpose? (Wonder if it was thought up by the same person as press-fit bottom brackets?)

wiggles
    Free Member

my maxle stealth is a 6mm hex

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Maxle cam lever snapped – any similar issues?’ is closed to new replies.