Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Secure cycle storage at home…
  • rucknar
    Free Member

Evening everyone,

I’m in the process of moving house (rented) and the new house doesn’t have any external storage.
    Ive agreed with the landlord I can install a secure shed of sorts, now this is where I’m looking for advice.

I want something that can store 3 bikes plus assorted crap we all seem to accumulate. The bikes I have are worth a fair amount so my key focus is security, does anyone have any recommendations?

I’ve been looking at the Asgard ones online which look good but are quite pricey!!

Thanks

Ed

rucknar
    Free Member

Anyone?

djglover
    Free Member

Look up trimetals, very good

showerman
    Free Member

know this sounds silly but it works for me my 3 bikes live in the loft.

warton
    Free Member

I got a four bedroom house instead of a three bedroom 😉

No way I’m leaving 6Ks worth of bikes in a shed!

RustyMac

How about some thing like THIS?

Put a ground anchor in when you lay the base for the shed and you should be good.

rucknar
    Free Member

To those who store them inside, don’t you have issues with making a mess??

@djglover Thanks i’ll take a look at that now.
    To me the metal ones look a lot stronger than the wooden ones.

faaz
    Free Member

On another forum I post on, a guy just had a burglar take the tiles off his roof, and cut a 4×2 foot hole in his ceiling in order to take his bike out his garage.

Theives will stop at nothing if they know the goods are there. A shed (despite any security claims) just really isn’t up to it.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Mine live in the house. Give em a clean before they come in, or if I’m feeling lazy, hoover up around it when the mud drops off 😉

rucknar
    Free Member

True thieves will always be able to get in, i just want to make it hard as possible so that most will be put off. Going to get an alarm fitted inside the garage too. Wish i could keep my bikes inside but my other half would kill me!

vinnyeh

Ordered one of the Asgard’s a while back after doing a fair bit of research, but sadly, can’t comment on it yet- the wait for delivery is 6 weeks.

Looked at the trimetals, but I found mention of weak lock hasps, which was enough to put me off.

rucknar
    Free Member

6 weeks? Really? That rules them out 🙁
    I’ll give them a call to see if it affects all models…

poly
    Free Member

On another forum I post on, a guy just had a burglar take the tiles off his roof, and cut a 4×2 foot hole in his ceiling in order to take his bike out his garage.

Theives will stop at nothing if they know the goods are there. A shed (despite any security claims) just really isn’t up to it. faaz – with logic like that have you considered working in Government?

If the b**t**ds are going to get your bike no matter what you do then there is no point in investing too much in trying to stop them. Indeed I’d rather leave them locked in my shed and well insured than encourage thieves to actually break into my house.

xcstu
    Free Member

I’ve also been pondering over bike storage and looked at these but not cheap!

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Add2&cat_level=0&cat_code=CBS

d45yth
    Free Member

I was so concerned about my bike security I sold my house and moved here:

Can’t show any more pics I’m afraid, don’t want anyone knowing where it’s at!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Jesus – for the price of that asguard one – you could buy a 9ft shipping container, some timber cladding, and some ivy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shipping-Container-10ft-x-8ft-/290609356002?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item43a9aadce2#ht_500wt_1156

noodlesuk
    Free Member

Are the bikes insured? If so best thing is to check what the policy small print says. This could affect how you store them.

I’d suggest cheap shed with secure anchor point in the ground and good lock (gold rated for both)

rucknar
    Free Member

There not insured just yet, i’ve been putting it off but they will be once i move. Good point though, i’ll have a look on the site now.

noodlesuk
    Free Member

btw these guys seem to be a bit cheaper than others, not had dealings with how they handle claims/payouts though, but worth a look

Cycle Insurance

uplink
    Free Member

There was a couple of bikes taken from a mates shed last year
    They were very securely locked with a chain through a ground anchor

The burglars simply cut through the frames, they obviously were only interested in stripping them for parts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Secure cycle storage at home…’ is closed to new replies.