Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Second job interview – help
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Ive got through to the second interview, for a finance/accounts type job. So now its a one out of three chance. Ive run out of money now so I cant afford to not get this one.

I assume they will have decided I can do the technical aspects of the job, so what will they be looking for at the second interview ?

Any help, suggestions ?

oddjob
    Free Member

I've recruited lots of people into financial shared service centres and never asked any technical questions.

Job interviews tend to be about the person more than the skills. Are you qualified?

Nice tip I was once given is to remember the name of the interviewer(s) and make a point of using it when you shake their hand at the end
    "thank you Bob" gives an indiciation that you have taken interest in them and leaves you with a good impression…

Trimix
    Free Member

Yes, I will do that, Ive met both interviewers before. Im not fully qualified, but thats fine for the role. They did a test on skills in the first interview, then asked about experience etc.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Short skirt and tits on show should do the trick. 😆

oddjob
    Free Member

Then I am sure the second interview will be about you and deciding who will fit into their team/company the best.

You have to try to get a feel of them and what they want, is it agressive go getting hard ass or is it someone easy going, flexible and team oriented?

Enthusiasm is always a winner and flexibility is definately a big positive.

Good luck

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I suspect that it's now about who would fit in best.
    When i interview, generally about 50% are not getting the job, the winner will be chosen on how well I think they will fit into a realtively small team and this is more important than actual skills (if they've got an interview it's assumed they can do the job and if it turns out they can't they don't make the interview cut).

Probably doesn't help you much though.

samuri
    Free Member

will it not be a competancy based interview? Most companies seem to be going this way nowadays, I've done a few and interviewed for a few. The idea is that you ask identical questions of each applicant and then select the best one from that. They'll ask something like 'Give an example of when you came up against a difficult co-worker, explain how you resolved the situation', or 'describe an instance where you solved a difficult communication problem', that sort of thing. If they do this they're often not bothered about any technical skills you might have but will be more interested in how you solve problems.

Then again, they might not do this.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive done the competency based bits in the first interview, so I reckon its as 'BigButSlimmerBloke' and 'oddjob' say. Will I fit in ?

Well, Ive done some research and met them before, so I suppose its down to them. Afterall, its hard to pretend to be something your not, so I will just be me and tone it down a bit 🙂

I will try to relate to them on a personal level, show them I can lead / inspire a team and do the job well. Be nice I reckon, as its eaiser to hire someone you like.

rich_tee
    Free Member

As said ^^^ you seem to have already demonstrated that you are capable of doing the job.

The next stage is often to see how you fit culturally into the department/ company and future development. I remember at my no no distant second interviews they asked me what I did at the weekend and we chatted about mountain biking and pubs! Try to be yourself and smile.

Can you do the job? Will you do the job? Do we like you?

Oh and be lovely to the receptionist(s) -It's interesting how often they can be asked about a candidate's behaviour.

good luck

Flaperon

At one big company (not mentioning names) the cleaner used to come in and have his lunch with the candidates. A fterwards he was asked his opinion on the ones that chatted to him. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

i think second interviews are "do we like you"?

do people like you?
    or are you an annoying arrogant self centred little prick?

not a lot you can do, be yourself, chill out, talk clearly and cleanly.
    pleasntly chatty, but not full of yourself.

if they ask a question and you dont know the answer, ffs dont try and bluff it. i always go with "i dont know the correct answer to that question, but if i was to make an educated guess, i would suggest that…..might be appropriate"

(i got asked a few "what would you do…..?" questions

Trimix
    Free Member

Olly, you must have been reading my previous posts to come up with the statement "do people like you? or are you an annoying arrogant self centred little prick?"

Your right though, I reckon its a case of them seeing if they like me. Face to face Im OK, its only online Im not 🙂

All good advice I shall try to remember.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Nice one Ainsley

One piece of advice: don't under any circumstances tell any of the interview panel that they are–and I quote–'a f—–g nonce'

And good luck! Look forward to hearing more about it on Friday night

Olly
    Free Member

no research needed, your reputation preceeds you
    i dread to think what mine is.

Good luck 🙂

Dr_Bakes

My advice would be: let your wife choose your clothes on this occasion. Remember, socks with sandals are not a good combination.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Make a little chit chat with the recenptionist if you can. A good impression there can be very useful, both in terms of interview feedback and, if you get the job, then you start off on a good footing with one of the most important people in the business!

Mattie_H
    Free Member

+ 1 for Dr_Bakes

You could also borrow one of her bras

Trimix
    Free Member

Dr_Bakes, I shall be wearing my wedding suit for luck – she chose that and the shoes and shirt and tie. Mmmm, perhaps I should just send her. I did suggest at the first interview they rang her for a reference 🙂

Dr_Bakes

Oh and keep the 'operation' out of conversation with the receptionist/cleaner/interview panel*. There is such a thing as too much information. Try and keep that one for once the contract is signed although we understand you prefer to broach it whithin minutes of meeting anyone!

Apart from these gems you'll be fine! Good luck!

* Prizes available for what the operation is, for those that don't already know…..**

** Actually no prizes but feel free to guess.

Trimix
    Free Member

LOL, Are you perhaps warming to the idea of an 'OP' now ?

Dr_Bakes

No I'm happy to have been born a man and have no wish to undergo a sex change thank you all the same.

Damn, I've given it away now!

awh
    Free Member

I was being very grown up and listening to a business programme on the BBC World Service, essentially what the research being discussed said was you can't flatter the interviewer/company enough. Even if it gets to the point where it gets really obvious, interviewers just don't mark you down for it! Off to do a bit of googling for a link…

rockitman

Trimix – I think I've interviewed for 20+ positions in the last few years and I've pretty much made my mind up within the first 15 mins of the first interview who would get it everytime. I buy people not skills, I can train the right people. There may have been 1 or 2 exceptions but if you think about this there's no point being nervous.

Like the poster says above, I always think who will fit best, it's a given that they can do the job / learn the specifics.

Try and do some research on the business. Ask them some pertinent questions about what you find. Ask about the team. Try and make it feel like you really want to be involved and you're really keen to work your tits off for them. Oh and most importantly – smile – they'll think you're really positive.

Hope that helps mate. And good luck…

Mattie_H
    Free Member

If this thread goes on for 20 minutes more Trimix is guaranteed to go into a ridiculously long and explicit description of 'the operation'

If it goes on for 40 minutes more we'll start to get his views on the fat and the religious

If it goes on for an hour I reckon he'll be banned 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Second job interview – help’ is closed to new replies.