Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Probably moving to London…
  • jimmy

… for 3 months. I almost definately have an internship in London lined up which isn't ideal as I'm settled in Edinburgh but the experience and opportunity is too good to pass up in the absence of a permanent job.

The tricky bit is, I need digs and as an unpaid position I think I'm going to struggle. Still, I don't want to pass it up so does anyone have any ideas for much cheapness digs? I think its going to be in Warren St which, if I'm correct, is near Euston Station. I've asked a friend down there who wasn't too optimistic on the price front 😕

theflatboy
    Free Member

the problem that many low/unpaid people face is that you won't be able to live anywhere near the centre of town, but to live further out will have to pay a fortune on travel. bring a bike!

jimmy

more than happy to commute. Oh wait, its not going to be peaceful cycle paths, is it? Still, money-savings the name of the game and I intend to focus on getting fit as there'll be no MTBing to be done (as in, I can't bring a bike – not commenting on 'sh'te southern trails')

Aidy
    Free Member

How far are you willing to commute in, that's the question?

Oh, and how cheapness is much cheapness?

jimmy

Commute-wise, I guess I don't really know. If I can combine bike commuting on-off with public transport then up to 10 miles. Thats arbitrary, though.

Cheapness – really don't know whats realistic. I have to find out and then decide if its doable. I could say something like £300/month, but I know that would get me nothing.

Aidy
    Free Member

Hmm, that shouldn't be completely impossible…

simon_g

Potentially do-able if you don't mind so much where you live.

eg. http://www.moveflat.com/c/148031.htm – probably scrapes under £300/month once bills are added on. Walthamstow isn't the greatest of areas but it's at the end of the Victoria line so you can be at Warren St in just over 20 mins. Zone 1-3 travelcard is about £30/week. Or about 8 miles by road which is perfectly bikeable, and you've got Epping Forest just up the road for fun.

Else if you're planning to cycle it every day, look for the places where there's big gaps between tube/overground stations – as they're less convenient they're usually cheaper, which isn't an issue if you cycle everywhere.

clubber
    Free Member

You need to find a friend/friend of friend in London – for £300 you'll definitely find something but mate's rates and a short term thing should get you something much nicer (and should be welcome in these days of recession). Stick an ad up in the classifieds – I'm sure you'll find something. SW London is best I reckon 🙂

Oh and find out what bike parking facilities there are – if it's unsecure then you'll need a big lock and a sh!t looking bike to stand any chance of it not being nicked…

jimmy

Simon_g – looks good, thanks.

Aidy
    Free Member

SW London is best I reckon

Being south of the river is always a mistake, though. 🙂

jimmy

That ad Simon_g posted looks ideal. Not looking for luxury for 3 months. Also keen to get running, so that could be an option rather than bike commuting.

clubber
    Free Member

Aidy – Member
    Being North of the river is always a mistake, though.

Corrected that for you Aidy. You're welcome 😉

hora
    Free Member

Conservatively I think you'll rinse through 3k in 3months of staying/living costs/rent in London. This work experience- will 3months really help your future recruitment chances when you graduate?

I can see 12months working for you but 3months? Unless you graduate within this year or its with a top-recognised company in your chosen-field? Sorry, just a different angle. London is ace (Edinburgh is far acer IMO) 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

Conservatively I think you'll rinse through 3k in 3months of staying/living costs/rent in London.

I dunno, I reckon I can get by on less.
    Depends on where you are, and how disciplined you are with your spending, imo.

That ad Simon_g posted looks ideal. Not looking for luxury for 3 months. Also keen to get running, so that could be an option rather than bike commuting.

Just make sure you check the contract lengths – most I've seen run for a minimum of 6 months.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Being in London is always a mistake, though.

Corrected that for you Clubber. You're welcome 😉

clubber
    Free Member

LOL. Rich in both name and nature since you live in Salisbury 🙂

simon_g

I think every house-share I've lived in (and that's been quite a few) have had nothing more than a 1-month, rolling agreement. And that's usually been verbal rather than a bit of paper.

It can actually be very cheap to live in London – it's just when people get into buying £3 coffees and posh sandwiches for lunch followed by expensive pints after work most days that it gets pricey.

Live frugally, cook your own food, fill your spare hours with the vast number of free things there are to do in London and you won't need anything like 1k/month to a get by.

Aidy
    Free Member

hmm, actually. Started paying attention – you get out much with the Edinburgh uni folk?

(Edit: I'm a bit further out, but have a spare room I could be persuaded to surrender for a bit for not much. Definitely on a friend of friend basis, though.)

hora
    Free Member

When I moved to London in 1997 I was in the red/overdrawn every month on a salary of 12k and THAT was living very frugally!

aP
    Free Member

When I started in London in 95 I was earning £7k. I managed on that ok, but it didn't involve the pub or buying any clothes/cameras/bikes. There's actually loads to do in London which doesn't cost anything as long as you're prepared and make sandwiches etc. the big problem is when you know you've got money and there's somewhere to spend it in.

jimmy

I can see 12months working for you but 3months? Unless you graduate within this year or its with a top-recognised company in your chosen-field? Sorry, just a different angle. London is ace (Edinburgh is far acer IMO)

I hand in my MSc dissertation today. I'm a mature student making a career change. The expereince is exactly what I need as a foot in the door into the same or similar company. Its part of a huge company so the experience will be well respected.

Aidy – never been out with the Edinburgh Uni lot, never seemed to make it. Climbing has been easier / cheaper to fit around studies. Whats this about a room…? If you're serious, mail me details…

Aidy
    Free Member

Weeeeelllll… it was really if we knew people in common (I know one or two of the Edinburgh Uni bike club).

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

what are you being paid for the internship? Most internees get paid housing/expenses costs.

jimmy

Expenses only. Don't know what that includes yet.

Aidy
    Free Member

Hrm.

What would expenses be that aren't housing costs?

vinnyeh

get yourself a live in pub job, and just work there parttime- you won't need to work much to cover your accommodation costs, no additional bills for council tax, leccy etc and a built in social life. With a bit of luck you'll find yourself somewhere central.

kimbers

youll find a flatsahre no probs for 300 quid though it may be a bit basic, look north or nw then you can cycle in pretty easily to euston

i reckon i save well over a grand a year by cycling everywhere in london so it really does make sense

also if you have to cycle home you cant spend a fortune getting plastered after work in the pub!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, housing costs are expenses.

Get some quotes for short term lets/hotel/staying with mates rates etc and then get onto them and check that these are ok.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Probably moving to London…’ is closed to new replies.