Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Seatpost slipping down.
  • pnik

Apart from buying a new frame, for which I dont have the cash, what can I do when my seatpost no longer stays up.
    Its a new Ragley Spike and a reasonably new hope clamp on a not very new Orange 5 (2004), it didn’t happen originally, but has been getting worse the last couple of years (hence new bits), now its hopeless (no pun). I darent clamp it any tighter, I assume the seat-tube has been gradually ground out (reamed?) by grit and cack mixed with grease everytime the post goes in and out. Which it does regularly to fit in the car. Someone suggested shimming with coke can, which sounds like the kind of tip given by someone whos never done it but read it somewhere

geoffj

Carbon assembly paste would be worth a try

or shimming with a coke can.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

give it a go what have you got to loose???

It won’t cause any damage so has to be worth a try fella 😀

Drac

Clean everything, post, clamp, bolt and seat tube. A bit of grip will make the clamp feel tight but not actually be clamping the post.

If not that try a new seat clamp, if that fails then a shimmy.

Lots of options before a new frame.

parkesie
    Free Member

my hope seat clamp has a lip thats thicker than the frame means it only really gets that 2-3mm clamped on the seat post not the frame. A file fixed that for me. Used coke can shims before when a post has worn a ally frame away before.

khani
    Free Member

You can get a 27.3 ragley spike now, assuming yours is a 27.2

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Spray it with paint or varnish or something. You can build up the coats to fine-tune the thickness. Won’t last forever, but it’ll doofer.

Putting a seatpost up and down a lot will cause wear, so mebbe just have it in one position and just put up with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost slipping down.’ is closed to new replies.