• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mc2.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Seating UST tyres; do CO2 cartridges really work..?
  • househusband

Received a Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 UST tyre today, and it refuses to seat on my XM819 rims with a track pump. The Schwalbe Alberts 2.25 UST’s I’ve had for the past year or so go on and off by hand, and seat no problem whatsoever.

So, having never had one before, do CO2 cartridges really work for getting that initial blast into the tyre and pop the beads into the UST rim?

Ta.

andywhit
    Free Member

Worked for me getting a ghetto setup inflated last weekend.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Works really well on ghetto and surely they are harder to seal than ust.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They must work better than a track pump. I use a compressor, even that is a PITA sometimes.

You are doing the whole soapy water thing? (with the tyres that is, though you should try it with the Mrs also)

dobo
    Free Member

i’m a fan of co2 but in my experience if you cant inflate with a track pump, co2 wont work either

happysnapper
    Free Member

Definitely the way to go. Works well for me. If you are having trouble applying soap foam to the rim/tyre will help oo.

MrNutt
    Free Member

never had a problem with maxxis UST, I’ll be interested to hear about how you get on with the queens those must be one of the first UST sets in the country! you do realise that you’ll probably have at least one member of STW staff offering you all kinds of favours in exchange for them don’t you 😀

andywhit
    Free Member

>i’m a fan of co2 but in my experience if you cant inflate with a track pump, co2 wont work either

Not my experience. Trackpump wasn’t happening, CO2 inflated straight away.

househusband

Thanks all – SKS Airchamp and spare cartridges ordered.

cynic-al; there was sealant remaining from the Albert I’d just taken off, and that’s pretty much as slippy as soapy water – but may give that a go too when the CO2 kit arrives. Much prefer the flavoured, or hot/cold, Durex lubes for that…

MrNutt; Wiggle had some in so thought I’d give them a go – I know that some of the STW guys rate them.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Same here – CO2 if track pump won’t!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Works every time for me when a track pump won’t. As long as you haven’t got the tyre to one side of the valve hole tho. Wasted a couple of cartridges like that 🙂

spooky_b329

We had to resort to a friends CO2 when we first got UST tyres, we’ve always managed with the trackpump since, assume it was difficult first time as the tyres had been folded up.

We carry a couple of cartridges for rides though in case we feel like repairing a puncture rather than sticking a tube in.

One tip I was given was get the seal using C02, then deflate and reinflate with trackpump as the C02 can cause the sealant to dry/gunk up.

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Bear in mind that if you use sealant in your tyres using CO2 will cause that to degrade quicker than if using air from a pump or compressor, and will need to be replaced sooner than normal.

Apparently….

bumbly1
    Free Member

I found a strap round the outside of the tyre helped but you are welcome to use my compressor HH 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

One tip I was given was get the seal using C02, then deflate and reinflate with trackpump as the C02 can cause the sealant to dry/gunk up.

In all my tyres if you deflate them they pop right out from the bead. So that is a nono.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why not just go to a garage and use the air compressor for free rather than buying CO2 cartridges? Once the beads are seated you can let the air out again if you want to put sealant in though the valve core and re-inflate using a track pump.

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

You have to find a garage with the old style pumps, the ones around here are the new digital type and they are rubbish, air is restricted and comes in short bursts rather than a constant amount.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Andy@CRC – Member

Bear in mind that if you use sealant in your tyres using CO2 will cause that to degrade quicker than if using air from a pump or compressor, and will need to be replaced sooner than normal.

Apparently….

haha and so it commences! what air for xcfreeride-liteDH? 😆

spooky_b329

You have to find a garage with the old style pumps, the ones around here are the new digital type and they are rubbish, air is restricted and comes in short bursts rather than a constant amount.

You need to push the flat tyre button to get a constant supply of air.

dobo
    Free Member

In all my tyres if you deflate them they pop right out from the bead. So that is a nono.

hmm, that has never ever happened to me with ust rims and ust or non ust tyres
    i often deflate mine to top up with wheel milk which i pore through the removable core valves (what a god send)
    i use schwalbe, bonty or maxxis tyres fwiw, all really good for using tubeless

mc2
    Free Member

I fitted a pair of Rubber Queen 2.4 UST’s this week with no problem at all on XT 776 rims – was surprised it was so easy! – maybe it was beginners luck!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Seating UST tyres; do CO2 cartridges really work..?’ is closed to new replies.