Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Seat mounted water bottle cages…….
  • mcboo
    Free Member

We’re doing a supported multi-day mtb marathon event this summer, would like to if possible ride without a pack on my back. Dont think I need to carry a huge amount of water as there are regular feedstations but my bike only has one mount, on the down tube.

Anyone ever used any of those seat-post mounted racks on a mtb? Any reason they wouldnt fit? Couple of bottles on there might be enough, I can use the other one for tubes, tools etc.

druidh
    Free Member

No reason it wouldn’t work. Topeak also do a bar-mounted bottle cage clamp.
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/cagemount?WYSESSID=ohrta68h4grpghqp8hsgb6ua17

Shorty121
    Free Member

I tried it once, you need to make sure if you go down hill you can lean back enough without hitting the waterbottle

MSP

Not sure how they would work out, they seem to be intended for road use, may not be so good being rattled around on a mountain bike.

Have you considered a bumbag type hydration pack, should prove to be a lot less sweaty than a backpack in summer.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-FlashFlo-LR.aspx

brassneck

I had a Topeak one, worked just fine. I remember seeing someone with a double bottle holder on a similar mount, but I’m not sure who made that.

EDIT: This was mainly on 5 hour TQs, so no real need to get off the back or anything too extreme, but it never felt wobbly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought one of those really small camelpacks for night rides, holds about 1.5ltrs of water, tool, CO2, a couple of tubes, space blanket and helmet light battery. Waterproof can go under the bungee if nececary. It’s barely noticable, although I’m guilty of slowly adding everything+kitchen sink to my backpack so bought this one to limit that,

It also leaves jersey pockets accessible to be filled with gells, snacks etc.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Only problem is the amount of spray from your rear wheel that will cover bottle. If you going that route get bottle with a cap so you not sucking on mud other wise wear a top with back pockets or a small camelbak.

FuzzyWuzzy

Where will you keep spares if not in a camelbak or saddle bag? Not sure I’d want everything stuffed in jersey pockets for point-to-point marathon rides.

foofighter
    Free Member

I have two, both by Profile designs. One attaches to the seat post, so you cant alter the height, one attaches to the saddle rails.

I dont use either anymore and was going to sell them, can send you pics if you are interested.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

Where will you keep spares if not in a camelbak or saddle bag? Not sure I’d want everything stuffed in jersey pockets for point-to-point marathon rides.

Under seat pouch?

mcboo
    Free Member

This is why I ask this stuff on STW.

In the Pyrenees, dont think its going to be a massively techical route but yes might want to get my backside over the back on the fast descents, and yes could get filthy back there. That hip-pack looks like it might suit, good idea.

kcal

or frame mounted bag – Revelate Designs or similar – use one all the time to keep the bulky, heavy stuff (tube, pump, tools) leaving bottle cage for water, and a small backpack for food, maps and stuff.

Revelate Designs

Something like the Tangle, for example, is just great at swallowing the bulky heavy stuff.

PaulD
    Free Member

Check out Decathlon for a ‘rubber’ mount for bottle cages.
    Price was approx £4 and it used 2x re-usable straps to fix to the seatpost or frame tubes.

+1 for the comment about a top cap over the bottle mouthpiece to keep the muck out….a friend got bad stomach upsets doing Transalp a few years ago because of cow/other mess on his bottles.

paulD

avdave2

Topeak also do a bar-mounted bottle cage clamp]

That should come with chequered bottles with straws.

The wingnut is also a good option if you don’t like conventional packs.

TiRed

Selle Italia Optima Technoligika

You know you want one…

mcboo
    Free Member

I was just a little bit sick in my mouth

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Seat mounted water bottle cages…….’ is closed to new replies.