Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • SDW – Am I mad?
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have agreed to ride the SDW in a day in July and considering the furthest I've ever riden is 35 miles I was wondering what sort of preparation is needed to achieve this.
    My thoughts at the moment are to just get out and ride and get used to long periods in the saddle. Starting tomorrow i'll be doing weekend road rides. I'm starting at about 35 miles and will gradually increase it over the coming weeks so hopefully by mid june i'll be able to ride the distance needed to compltete it. I'll also be doing Mountain bike rides during the week.
    Any thought from people who have done this or similar will be greatly appreciated. 😀

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Not mad at all, it's a lovely (long) day out.
    Build up your mileage in one day rides, time sitting on your bike and leg strength for the climbs.

luked2
    Free Member

Fantastic ride.

But don't kid yourself that 100 miles on the road will be anything like the SDW.

Lots of long rides (5+ hours) off-road did it for me.

AndyRT
    Free Member

equally lacked milage offroad, and it took me 20.5 hours

ddmonkey

Excuse my ignorance whats the SDW?

ddmonkey

Oh is it South Downs Way? Der….

nickc

Honestly? Forget it. You've left it too late. The SDW is too hard to be starting training for now if all you do is 2 – 3 hour rides. I'm not being nasty, but really you're not going to be in a happy place for most of the ride, and if you can't enjoy it what's the point? Either aim to do this next year and work out a proper traing schedule, or if you're detirmined get your head around the fact that you'll suffer.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

luked2 – Member
    Fantastic ride.

But don't kid yourself that 100 miles on the road will be anything like the SDW.

Lots of long rides (5+ hours) off-road did it for me.

Road roads are to increase my base fitness then after a few weeks i'll get Mrs MM to drop me off at different points on the SDW and i'll ride home. I don't live to far from Winchester so it's ideal preparation for me.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Started in Eastbourne at Midnight, and rode home, at the other end. It was great! Only irony is I got a little lost at Winchester Hill, but I knew my way around from riding there on other singletrack. Make sure the weather is dry, and make sure you ave enough food and fluids to last, as the shops o the way are off the main route, and you won't want to detour. If you are going e-w be prepared to feel like its all up hill! But it's stunning and fun all at the same time! Best of luck! Oh, and check out the websites out there on riding the SDW, as things like water points etc are easy to miss!

poppa
    Free Member

Totally made up milestones here, along with smaller rides (20-30 miles) each week in between:

T-12 weeks: Ride 40 miles off road

T-8 weeks: Ride 50 miles off road

T-4 weeks: Ride 66-70 miles off road

Then you should have a decent shot of doing 100 in a day, on the day. It will probably still be the hardest thing you have done on a bike though, and you will end up with a much lower average speed than all your preparation makes you expect.

Just remember that if you really push yourself outside your comfort zone it can take a long time to recover. If this happens during your training period it can be counter productive!

thomthumb
    Free Member

sounds like your doing the right sort of prep.

remember to take loads of food. i think we are something like 8000 calories! 😯

and remember to go to winchester kebab after for some fuel (best kebaby ever)

jond
    Free Member

Quite a few years ago myself and some mates had a go over a w/e – expected two days riding. Two of use were fit for doing faster 3 1/2 hr trailquest (orienteering) – the others from doing LEJOG – but the first day was bloomin' hard by the end…the second day we copped out and rode to Brighton along the coast, and lazed around 😉

There's a lot of climbing altogether – tho' if you're gonna do sections and increase the distance I guess you'll get a feel for what it's like. IMO you've got time to get fit enough, but as mentioned, it's long rides/climbs that'll help.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

AndyRT, We're going to be doing it e-w too. Out of interest how easy was it getting to eastbourne with all your kit?
    A few of the guys i'm going with have done it before and one had a van following so he could meet a certain points for food etc. Hopefully that will be happening again. 20.5 hrs is a long time. I was targeting about 13hrs. Maybe i'm being a little unrealistic!! 😯

joemarshall
    Free Member

Honestly? Forget it. You've left it too late. The SDW is too hard to be starting training for now if all you do is 2 – 3 hour rides. I'm not being nasty, but really you're not going to be in a happy place for most of the ride, and if you can't enjoy it what's the point? Either aim to do this next year and work out a proper traing schedule, or if you're detirmined get your head around the fact that you'll suffer.

Blimey – the guy is suggesting a perfectly sensible sounding training plan. It's only 100 miles, in summer, and whilst there are some hills, there is nothing technical on the route. You have 16 hours to do it in the light. He's already able to ride a third of the distance currently, it isn't a massive step to go up to riding the SDW, should be easily doable in 4-5 months. Obviously it might hurt, and might take quite a time, but that is true even for fastish people once you get to this sort of distance.

Personally I've always worked on the principle that if you can happily / regularly ride x miles, at a push you can do twice as many, so I'd want to make absolutely sure that I was a happy bunny (like feel completely fine the next day) after riding a 50 miler before I gave the 100 miles a go.

Also, if you live less than about 15 miles away from work, then riding to work and back is a dead easy way to get fitness up quickly. I did my first 100 miler with probably 90% of the training I did on a 16 miles a day commute.

Joe

Tiger6791

I'm doing it too for the BHF.

I am normal, I am not mad, I am a fish

Tiger6791

Wibble

nickc

He's already able to ride a third of the distance currently, it isn't a massive step to go up to riding the SDW

Sorry, you're massively understating the effort that'll be required here. Say you can do 60 miles, double your current distance; that still leaves another 40 or so miles to go. Just stop and think about that for a bit, another 40 off road miles after you've done twice what you've ever achieved… 😯 And the Traditional Winchester start point leaves the hardest hills (and they are relentless, and steep, don't go thinking that these are some softie southern England molehills) to the last part of the ride.

I'm not saying the SDW in a day isn't achievable for regualr riders, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to be starting preparation for it with just 4 months. It's not going to be fun. But that's just me, I'm sure other will be along to tell you that they had no worries, and it was a breeze… and just rolled out the pub one night…

AndyRT
    Free Member

mulletus,

I am a fat git, and walked up some hills, and fell asleep on others! 😯

We got te train to eastbourne, from Winch, which was about an hour and a half with one stop in Clapham. Funny thing was, we were on the last run ( train) with all the lads wobbling their way home, and quite few ended up in eastbourne, fast asleep!

njee20
    Free Member

4 months is plenty of time, people train for 24 solos in less.

Just do as much riding as you can, why adopt a defeatist attitude this far out! If you've still never done more than 40 miles a month before, maybe rethink, until then, ignore nickc!

nuke

It is a very tough ride…the climbing seems endless and the last 35 miles are the toughest imho. It isn't especially technical but fatigue and chalk descents can certainly be a dangerous combination.

I've done the 65 miler a couple of times from Winchester to Brighton with the BHF and the 35 miler from Devils Dyke to Eastbourne but just not the 100 miler…maybe I should sign up this year. I know you can do it any time you like but I enjoyed doing it with the BHF as there are always plenty of people to chat with and share the pain.

Hats off to hazeii and the like for doing the SDW double

timbur
    Free Member

It's a tough ride but you'll be fine if you ride LOTS between now and then. On a good day it's a great ride. On a bad day it'll hurt you lots :O)

JBiker
    Free Member

MM, I suggest you don't focus too much of your training around Winchester – that's the 'flat end' of the SDW. What you need is some good hill practice. The last 20 miles or so are the sting in the tail. As well as distance, you want to do a few laps of the hills at cocking (phnar, phnar), amberley, truly, etc.

UseItorLoseIt

Not mad at all to contemplate this. Yes it is pushing your riding distance on but you can build up to it in training? – by trying say the first 40 miles on one ride, then build up on another ride by getting to Brighton etc.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I know it's going to be hard and I'm aware the climbs at the Eastbourne end are going to be hard but i'm a stubborn b*gger with a steely determination and as njee says, if i'm not fully prepared with a few weeks to go I will re-think.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Sorry, you're massively understating the effort that'll be required here. Say you can do 60 miles, double your current distance; that still leaves another 40 or so miles to go. Just stop and think about that for a bit, another 40 off road miles after you've done twice what you've ever achieved… And the Traditional Winchester start point leaves the hardest hills (and they are relentless, and steep, don't go thinking that these are some softie southern England molehills) to the last part of the ride.

Yeah, I know full well what the SDW is like I've ridden most of it on a unicycle. I know it is kind of hard (although weather makes a big difference to how hard – if it is dry, it is so much easier).

It'd be hard, but 4 months is a long time to get from happy to do 35 miles up to happy to do 60-70 miles. Once you're happy to do 60 miles, doing 100 as a one off is just a mental challenge, about pushing yourself hard.

I am a big believer in mental strength being 99% of the work on getting through this kind of long ride as long as you have some kind of basic level of fitness and aren't doing the ride in a big hurry. My first 100 mile unicycle ride, a mate suggested we should do a 100 miler on the Tuesday night in the pub, so we did it on the next Sunday, I don't think either of us had done much over 60 miles before that, we just had basic riding fitness from our commutes and weekend rides. With a level of fitness that is easily achievable in 4 months, you'd be able to train up enough to complete a long ride like this, extra training would be nice for doing it faster and easier but not completely necessary.

Joe

poppa
    Free Member

😯

wwaswas

look at the trainign guide in this months stw mag as a start point.

as above – once you can do 50-60 miles (even if it's only once) then 100 is a mental leap as much as anything.

I have the same issue with available time for riding 2-3 hours is really all I can do in one go so road intervals has always been quite attractive as a way of getting more out of it but you have to do offroad too or you do get out of practice.

nickc

Joe, I'm happy to call you a much better cyclist than me, then. That's a sterling effort and no mistake.

Chapeau, sir.

cinnamon_girl

Mulletus – yes, I am shocked! Mind you, you were flying at the recent Combe Gibbet ride 🙂

I wish you well and do let me know if you want any routes/route ideas/gpx files. In fact, do you want to hang on to my horseshoe for now 😉

That isn't a long time to train so you are really putting pressure on yourself. nickc has certainly made some good points and he is no slouch on a bike. Am sure I remember reading that he's ridden all the Welsh trail centres on a single speed. 😯

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

No problem for a man of your calibre! Good excuse to ride loads between now and then if nothing else 'sorry R, i've GOT to go training' then don't bother doing it :wink:.

Meet you half way between mine and yours if you want, then ride home, i need to rack some major miles up too.

singletrackmind

I too am signed up for the SDW in a day in July. If you would like to hook up to do some all day rides around Hants /Sussex then mail me direct, email in profile.
    Most I have done is a Merida 100K, and that destroyed me. The thought of another 40 miles on top is fairly daunting.
    I am thinking drop the booze intake a bit and ride some longer rides.
    I reckon basically if you can ride 100 miles a week off road, then you can ride 100 miles in one day.
    Once spring arrives I will commute on my bike whenever possible , and thats 30 miles each way, a few months of that and I certainly hope to increase by base fitness level.

IA

"Once spring arrives"

Why wait?

woodsman
    Free Member

I think you've plenty of time. It is tough, especially when wet, is my experience!

Enjoy – you'll do it.

glenncampbell

Mulletus – just go for it! Your training matters and to be honest the chances are that you're going to suffer during the ride at some point. That's normal though, so enjoy it. Try longer rides at least once a week and establish some milestones like the Gorrick 100 for some quality distance riding then give the bristol bike fest a bash solo http://www.bike-fest.com/bristol/

Longer rides and events like these will give you experience in a more controlled environment and also, crucially, confidence in your ability. Your mental toughness is as important as your fitness, so give that a welcome boost too.

Just make sure that you stay hydrated and eat plenty – without these two things boxed off all the training in the world is useless. I suggest you try this stuff – http://eletewater.co.uk/all-products/elete-bottle-240ml/prod_19.html – it works really well at keeping you hydrated and therefore helping to avoid cramps.

Good luck!

scaredypants

I did it a few yrs ago when I was about 40, on a fairly unsuitable bike

longest ride I'd ever done before was about 70 and that was road – longest off-road, maybe 40 or so

Not being a keyboard hero – the point is I'm not fit, just always been "sporty" like most on here. Training was about 2-3hr a week on the road and one 40ish mile SDW ride near Truleigh in the months before

If it's dry and no headwind I reckon you'll be fine terms of finishing (esp on a BHF ride cos there's lots of you in the same boat). It is hard though – I can't really remember the last 30 miles apart from the drop into eastbourne. I didn't drink enough, despite plenty being carried (got to each water stop with loads spare) and I'm sure that made things far far worse. Only peed about a litre during the whole ride I reckon

Was muddy for the 1st third at least and I was a bit too tired to steer properly even that early on. Although the hills are frequent & some quite steep it's smooth going and you can just grind on if you're determined (walked one or two steep bits later on, mind)

Oh, and one of the best memories of my recent past involves me & a sachet of sudocrem in some bushes near Devil's Dyke 😳

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, this is making me more determine to do it. Can't wait to get started tomorrow.
    C_G, Mrs MM is going to the post office tomorrow so expect your Horseshoe next week.

Meet you half way between mine and yours if you want, then ride home, i need to rack some major miles up too.

Rusty, will be pestering you for rides very soon. Quite keen on doing the Sportive you've entered too. What sort of training are you doing? Must be hard with baby RT!! Will give you a call soon.

singletrackmind – Member

I too am signed up for the SDW in a day in July. If you would like to hook up to do some all day rides around Hants /Sussex then mail me direct, email in profile.
    Would love to take you up on your offer. I'll be in touch soon, just need a few weeks of hard riding to build up a better level of base fitness.

Just make sure that you stay hydrated and eat plenty

Thanks Glen, some good advice. I sweat alot so electrolytes are always with me when I'm out riding.

Chardo
    Free Member

Mulletus, go for it – I did the 100 miler last year and I can quite honestly say that is gruelling, but brilliant to finish. I started training in February and got to 60 miles off road on training rides. The rest is in your head. I actually found the middle 30 miles passing Brighton the hardest. 1st 30 easy, just started – last 30 is a countdown. if you can dig deep and grind out those 30 miles you'll be fine. I'm no XC whippet either – 16st and I did it on a Pitch. 20 packs of Clifs shot blocks helped and the weather was bloody hot! Another consideration is water – 3L weighs a lot and some of the taps along the route were broken, so bear that in mind. The last piece of advice I can offer is try to cycle as much of the route beforehand as you can so you know where you're going. Nothing worse that being on energy reserves and taking a 1/2 mile wrong turn! Best of luck – really enjoyed it, but I won't be doing it again.

spacemonkey

IMO we have to be realistic here and recognise that people have "different make-ups" and not everyone has the physical/mental "set up" to meet the challenges that others can.

Sure, the SDW is do-able in 1 day for some, and certainly 2 days for others. But some people struggle to step up from riding say 2-3 hours to even double that. And then you've got to go maybe twice as much on top of that again. And then get up the next morning and start again.

Not everyone can sustain that level, nor can they recover effectively enough overnight.

However, I do believe the mental aspect can make the difference here. If the OP is seriously determined about doing this, then a combination of the right motivation, the right training, and the right preparation on the day(s) can make all the difference.

It is do-able … but for some it requires considerably more effort than for others.

spacemonkey

I'd second what Chardo says and check out the route, e.g. do 50 miles or so from Winchester, and then the rest from somewhere like Truleigh. Familiarise yourself with some of the "turns" and be prepared. It's not a nice place to be when it's close on 30deg, you've made a wrong turn, you're miles from your car, and you're running low on fuel.

corroded
    Free Member

3-4 months is enough time, taking into account I don't know your starting point! If it were me, I'd be fitting in a mid-week road ride. I'd also be quite focused about it: rather than slog out 70-80-90 mile road rides, I'd be doing 40-50-60 miles at almost flat-out. Then recovering for two or three days. If I was really serious I'd try losing a bit of weight by cutting down on alcohol and watching what I ate.

You're right, the road is best for actually getting fitter, though I'm sure some will disagree. I would also say you don't need to even do a century before you do the ride, though again am sure others will disagree. You just have to 'know' that you can do it – much of the hardest work is mental. But it's definitely do-able (yes, I've done it in a day – harder than any of the Etapes I've done…)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘SDW – Am I mad?’ is closed to new replies.