Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SDW Advice
  • Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

OK so a bunch of us are going to do the SDW later in the year over 2 days as we want to enjoy it, all in the name of charity of course 😉

So can people recommend accommodation in Winchester for the night before and we are thinking about Steyning area for the over night stop. The group will be possibly numbering 8-12 riders.

If anybody also has an up to date GPX of the route that would also be great.

Thanks in advance.

Fueled
    Free Member

I did it yesterday 🙂

No idea about accommodation, but GPS is here:

http://www.southdownsdouble.net/routeinfo.html

It is all accurate apart from a temporary section nearish to the Winchester end, but its pretty well signposted there.

anjs
    Free Member

Buy the Harvey map its very good and has all the tap locations. More info on http://www.bikedown.co.uk

Lummox

There’s a holiday inn just been built outside winch, other than that there aren’t any other ‘reasonable’ priced hotels in winch. Eastleigh airport has travelodge style accommodation, that’s about 20 mins further south on the m3. But if you’re doing that you could look at Southampton as it’s only a further 10 mins away.

singletrackmind

2nd Holiday Inn . There is a Premier Lodge in Four Marks that is in the region of 20 mins drive to the start .

I would also look at going further on the first day . At least Truleigh hill , if not just the other side of Brighton . Try to make it 60 miles + 40 miles. Lots of reasons , but you will most likely all finish this way .

Please dont throw your gel wrappers on the floor i get fed up with picking them up. Its the only rubbish that is 99% attributable to mountain bikers. I dont see any of the Red Sock brigade squeezing in Torq gels. Not saying its you, just gets my goat . Ta

Fueled .- Bet it was a great ride up there yesterday. Tail wind too , with enough puff to give you an extra gear or 2 most of the afternoon.
    Looking at sub 12hr attempt in July.

mdb
    Free Member

Not sure about Winchester but the YMCA at Truleigh Hill, above Steyning, is actually on the SDW and is cheep!

br
    Free Member

We did it with Trailbreakers last year and stayed at the YH at Truleigh Hill in the middle (although its 63+36, the second day felt harder…).

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrection.

OK so have gone to book the YH at Truleigh hill and it’s fully booked for Saturday 1st of October. Where else do people suggest for our party of six?

Jerome
    Free Member

Pub in Steyning seems to be the half way for many groups..
    Steyning is on the route, and has much better options in terms of food and beer..

Jerome
    Free Member

Actually scratch that.
    Bramber is even scloser to the route.
    Try this place

Home

DaRC_L

There’s also the Rising Sun in Beeding

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

Castle inn hotel and the youth hostel are both full. Any other suggestions about the 60+ mile point?

m1kea
    Free Member

There’s a PremierGrimm in Burgess Hill which is 4 miles north of Pycombe (which is approx 67 miles in).

Looking on the National Trail website here’s a list of accommodation that has cycle storage

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SDW Advice’ is closed to new replies.