Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Screws – what kind do I want?
  • sl2000

I’m being nagged by Mrs sl2000 to attach things to our walls. I have various wall plugs and a drill but no screws. I’ve just had a look on the internet (eg here) and it would appear that there’s more than one type of screw.

Can someone with more DIY knowledge than me point me towards which type I need please.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, I see.

Sorry, I thought you were after some rather different advice.

sv

Solid wall or plasterboard? Weighty things to be hung or non-weighty things?

andyl
    Free Member

How long are your plugs and what diameter?

Just buy some screws the right diameter and the same length (for thin brackets) or longer if attaching thick things.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Single+Thread+Countersunk/d90/sd760

At those prices get a selection.

I love having toolstation down the road 😀

andyl
    Free Member

These are very good but expensive for screwing into timber: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Reisser+Screws/d90/sd2716

Make sure you have the right plugs for the wall type.

sl2000

Solid wall or plasterboard?

Solid

Weighty things to be hung or non-weighty things?

Some quite weighty (a big mirror; bookshelves).

How long are your plugs and what diameter?

Various. So I thought maybe a selection of various screws would be good.

Sounds like a selection of ‘single thread countersunk’ it may be then. Thanks @andyl.

andyl
    Free Member

Self tapping screws I saw on that page you linked to are normally for sheet metal and have a high pitch thread. I think I did see some normal countersunk.

You then get special screws for things like plasterboard or timber (ones like above mean you don’t need a pilot hole).

You probably want a pack like this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Screw+Multipacks/Countersunk+Screw+Pack+780pc/d90/sd3157/p99160

or this:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Screw+Multipacks/Goldstar+Countersunk+Screw+Pack+780pc/d90/sd3157/p66490

I prefer the latter for general purpose use but twinthread are supposed to go in easier and yeah I suppose they do seem better in softer materials:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Screws

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is the plugs you need to be right – pretty well any screw will do the job if the plug is right for the job.

You just have to make sure you use the right sized drill bit and drill to the right depth.

Ohh and top tip – when you have measured everything go round and measure everything again.

I like this sort of plug for solid walls

NigE5
    Free Member

Fisher fixings, not Rawal plug I find they just spin in the hole.

john_drummer
    Free Member

the hole’s too big for the plug in that case. use a fatter plug or a thinner drill bit

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No. 10s or 12s, Brown Plugs, 7mm Drill Bit
    No. 8s – Red Plugs, 6mm Drill Bit

No point in anything smaller unless your putting in a light switch or something equally weightless.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As DD says – right screw for the job is needed and the right screw for the plug.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and second Fischer plugs. Don’t feel you have to get the plug flush in the hole before driving the screw in. Get the plug in halfway-ish, then use a hammer to lightly tap the screw and plug in a bit more until the plug is all the way home, then drive the screw in the rest of the way.

If you’re using a pencil to mark holes, then use a level to make sure corresponding holes are level, thenabreast a bradawl (or anything else with a sharpish tip) to “start” the hole by hand. This gives you an indentation to start your drilling and stops the bit wandering once you go full steam in. You can use a small 4 or 5 mm wood bit to drill a small hole into plaster before hitting any masonry without blunting it too if you want.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Long slow ones work for me.

avdave2

You don’t need screws.

totalshell

i screw all day
    boilers radiators showers pipework baths loos floorbaords etc etc etc i only have 1 drill 6.5mm masonary, i use brown plugs and either 1 or 2 inch size 10 or 12 screws thats all you need full stop.

if the wall is plasterboard use the screw in fittings with internal screws no drilling req.

the secret is keep consumables to a minimum and you always have everthing you need 1 drill bit 1 size plug 4 sizes of screw 1 size two 12 inch screw driver.. simples

you only have to drill the hole as deep as the screw push the plug in ( use the same shape as the photo above) and screw away

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Screws – what kind do I want?’ is closed to new replies.