Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scottish STWers…language question
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Very random question but do you guys all call Managing Agents "factors" or is it just a jargony word?

If you were to write "xxxx set up to help Scottish Managing Agents" would that be correct or would "…to help Scottish Factors" be better?
    Or maybe even … to help Scottish Factors/Managing Agents?"

GrahamS

As in someone that looks after a building?

Yeah I'd call them the Factors.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Yes it's much the same parlance up here in hicksville 😉

cudubh

Factor, managing agents, complete waste of space, choose any of these and you'll be fine

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Graham – pretty much. Same role as our managing agents? Usually manage a number of properties, often the people who decide on policy for their properties, etc.

We've got stuff wrong in Scotland before (doing a UK wide campaign) such as offering M&S vouchers for information – apparently M&S is viewed as very English and no one likes it!

Just looking at the title of a press release that someone else has written for our client and wondering whether to changes MAs to "Factors" or just leave it as it is? They've asked us to find out!

hels
    Free Member

Yes essentially a property manager. Back in good old days every tenement close had a Factor nominated from the residents to deal with communal issues. Country estates also often have a Factor, who acts on behalf of the owner.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

"..Scottish Property Factors" just looks more right to me, but I'm not sure why, possibly because I've only ever lived n one factored bauidling and the facors called themselves XXX Property Factors. But yes, same thing.

BurnBob
    Free Member

I would say factors. Not really heard them called anything else up here, well, not that I would repeat on here.

About the M&S thing, never heard of anyone calling them 'very English' not sure it would have a great affect on the majority. Some shops here are even stocking English brands such as Tetley tea, John Smiths beer etc.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers all – very helpful indeed!

iainc

yep, Factors would be the wording I would use.

happy to receive M&S vouchers – Im sure they can be redeemed for Irn Bru and deep fried Mars Bars somewhere 😆

geoffj

We've got stuff wrong in Scotland before (doing a UK wide campaign) such as offering M&S vouchers for information – apparently M&S is viewed as very English and no one likes it!

Eh? The only odd thing is that Scots (at least the ones in Perth) refer to M&S as Markies rather than Marks & Sparks.

Its amazing how much England branded footy stuff appears in the shops up here. Some supermarket buyers / distributors must be complete ****.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Scottish STWers…language question’ is closed to new replies.