Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scottish Skiers Advice Please
  • geoffj

We wantto take the kids skiing this weekend. Neither of them (6 & 4) have been before. I suspect mrs j and I will spend all the time on the nursery slope, so I’m thinking we may not need lift passes?

We could go to Glenshee, Cairngorm or The Lecht.
    Well need to hire skis and boots.

Where do you recommend?

KT1973
    Free Member

I’ve been at Glenshee today and the conditions were the best I can remember. I think you may be able to buy a pass for the beginner tow only or you can get lessons. I paid £25 for a full day adult pass. The whole resort should be open at the weekend but it will be very busy, as will the others. Lecht is good for beginners and Aviemore has the longest (I think) runs and best facilities.
    You can hire equipment at lots of places but again this will be busy at the weekend. You have picked a good time to go though.
    Where are you planning on staying?

geoffj

Where are you planning on staying?

Just going for the day from Perth.

KT1973
    Free Member

Glenshee is just an hour away then- I’d go there.
    Check conditions HERE

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Maybe Glenshee is best. With small kids you’ll want easy access to easy slopes and a warm place (cafe) nearby. Lecht would be excellent too, but further to travel. Fantastic beginners facilities though. Cairngorm could be good, but IMO the top is best for beginners, but is windy and cold, plus you’ll need a liftpass to get there.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I would avoid using the hire at the ski hill on weekends unless you have a particular love of queues. There are a few hire shops on the road to Glenshee from Perth.

wideload
    Free Member

Are you planning on taking any lessons or just trying to teach the kids yourself?

IMHO the best option for you would be to go to Glenshee. Its the closest resort to Perth and it will have all the hills that you need.

Best to hire equipment on the way up rather than at the resort as the queues will be very long. There is a good hire shop at Bridge of Cally. BTW do not bother getting any ski poles for the kids. They won’t need them if they are just starting out. You should be able to get them into a basic snow plough without using poles. The pole will just be a faff and get in the way.

The best place to take them is the trainer tow area. This is on the same side at the ticket office/cafe about 100 meters north (towards Braemar). This is gently sloping and very wide.

Don’t bother with a lift pass to begin with as you can basically kick the skis off and walk back up the gentle beginners area. The beginners tow is a poma which requires the basic ability to stand up on skis. If its the kids first time they will struggle with this – therefore best save some money an avoid the lift. If all goes well you will have the option of buying an afternoon ticket. The only possible issue with that is that they sometimes stop selling tickets once the capacity of the resort has been reached.

The road up to Glenshee is a bit twisted and up and down after Blairgowrie. If your kids don;t travel well then a couple of sick bags might be needed.

Have fun :o)

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Hire in Perth or nearby (maybe Blairgowrie, can’t recommend anywhere- sorry) to avoid the queues and get it sorted/pick up before Saturday. If you weren’t from the south I’d say the Lecht would be best for beginners at the weekend- especially as Glenshee and Cairngorm will be rammed. Seeing as you’re going from Perth and won’t want a such a long drive with kids in tow, Glenshee is the best option. Easy slopes close to the roadside/cafés/car too. Great conditions everywhere just now too.

[edit] if you don’t want to buy a lift pass/uselifts, head for your nearest sledging hill instead- much more straightforward.

j_me
    Free Member

Glenshee is the obvious choice, but always check the roads and ski report before hand. http://www.winterhighland.info with give you the ski report so you can check where’s best to ski. Given the current conditions you’ll probably be sorted for snow.

Glenshee have a recorded info number 01339741320 that will give you up to date info on access etc.

If you know when you are going hire WELL in advance as weekends are likely to be very busy, and don’t waste time hiring on day. Banks in town will sort you out fine.

geoffj

Thanks folks. Lots to think about.

geoffj

right then – top day on the snow, right up until the wind started blowing the kids over.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Now Mrs J wants a week skiing in Europe in February. I think thats a result!

KT1973
    Free Member

Was there still plenty of cover on the runs? I’m thinking of going up Monday but not if it’s melting and turning to slush.

geoffj

Was there still plenty of cover on the runs?

There was coverage on most of the runs. It was just a bit icy and compacted, but not too bad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Skiers Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.