• This topic has 39 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • scottish coast to coast route
  • MSP

Looking at doing this later in the year, has anyone on here done it?

Does anyone have a .gpx file for the route, and any advice for restocking options on route?

orena45

Do a forum search as there's been several threads recently – I've included info on the route we did last year on one of em 🙂

MSP

Couldn't find anything with a gpx (or any other gps file).

I am talking about the Tim Woodcock route. As I live in germany I don't want to spend too much money on mapping software (or paper maps) that are only likely to be used the once.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will need paper maps anyway.

google he say

Guide Books The route is described in 'Scotland Trail' by John Fulton & Tim Woodcock published by MTB Pro, price £9.99 and available from bike and book shops. ISBN 185981 008X.

http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/products/5462-coast-to-coast-mountain-bike-route-pack

MSP

errr…. yes I know of the book, thats why I mentioned the author in my previous post 🙄

All i want is to have the route in an electronic format, that I can load onto my gps, then carry a few pages torn from a road atlas so i know where any towns are if I want to deviate from the route for supplies or because of problems. Its a method that serves me well on bickepacking trips. There is certainly no need to carry 5 or 6 OS maps to cover the route.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You would be foolish imo not to have proper maps – what happens when / if your gps fails?

MSP

You follow the path untill you reach a road, then you follow the road till you reach a town, this is western europe, even in scotland you are never that far away from civilisation.
    Its nice to follow a route that takes you along the best bits, but I have no problem wandering around aimlesly. It would be different on other continent where it realy is possible to get lost for days and weeks.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Tim Woodcock's book is well worth having, and it's only small and has some good map excerpts too.

As for reliance on gps on its own, could limit your options and get a bit tricky if a mechanical or injury hampers aimless wandering, moreso given Woodcock's route has it's fair share of remote/away from civilisation bits.

It's a great route, so hope you enjoy it.

😀

orena45

Here you go – not 'Woodcock's' route (as far as I'm aware, although I've not seen that route tbh), but the route we did last year.

Find my post half way down the thread with GPS links

yetiguy
    Free Member

How long would this typically take?

devs
    Free Member

You follow the path untill you reach a road, then you follow the road till you reach a town, this is western europe, even in scotland you are never that far away from civilisation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've had several pals that work on the Mountain rescue Team at Kinloss. They bring stiffs down all the time or load them into a helicopter. None of these people go up into the hills intending to die. Ignorance and arrogance are the biggest killers. Your post is displaying both. If they were called out to find you and when they did, if they found out that you didn't have a map I think you would be on the receiving end of some very humbling choice words. Personally I think you're a ****.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well said Devs.

You don't need the GPS – you do need a map and the ability to use it.

30+ people die each year in the scottish mountains. Its one of the most remote and wild areas in Europe.

richpips
    Free Member

30+ people die each year in the scottish mountains. Its one of the most remote and wild areas in Europe.

What relevance has that got to having a map as opposed to a GPS.

I mostly use just a GPS these days, and I do carry a spare one just in case.

Oh, and I'll bet those guys from RAF Kinloss don't use paper maps, but instead a GPS based system.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The relevance is that too many people underestimate these hills. Have the map and the skills to navigate – don't rely on technology.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I mostly use just a GPS these days, and I do carry a spare one just in case.

Oh, and I'll bet those guys from RAF Kinloss don't use paper maps, but instead a GPS based system
    I bet they do carry paper maps as well. A paper map can NEVER go wrong!

Crack on MSP, enjoy.

richpips
    Free Member

The relevance is that too many people underestimate these hills. Have the map and the skills to navigate – don't rely on technology.

Well I follow mountain rescue stats round my area, and I've yet to see an entry saying that someone got deaded or lost due to their GPS. However I do have plenty of knowledge of people who have been in the hills for many many years whom one would term experienced, who have the map and compass skills, yet who still go the wrong way. 180 degree errors, maps blown away, and mistakes due to tiredness etc.

If you've plotted the correct course on a GPS all you need to do is follow the dots. a -> b-> c-> etc.

richpips
    Free Member

I bet they do carry paper maps as well. A paper map can NEVER go wrong!

Maybe they do carry paper maps as well. However that won't be their primary means of navigation. Paper maps like their GPS generated brethren are often wrong. OS is being regularly updated.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you've plotted the correct course on a GPS all you need to do is follow the dots. a -> b-> c-> etc.
    Biggest word in that statement is 'If'

richpips
    Free Member

Biggest word in that statement is 'If'

Well I bet I'm more likely to be able to plot the correct route on a map sat in front of my computer than determine one with a map in one hand, a compass in t'other in a windy whiteout.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And if / when your GPS fails? Thats the issue. You crash into a river – teh GPS has a broken screen and the works are shorted out by the water?

Relying on complex technology that can fail is foolish. Use a GPS as your all the time navigation by all means – but have the paper maps and the knowledge to use them in the bottom of your bag.

I have been in the hills twice with people with GPS – both times they made navigation errors from blindly following the GPS rather than navigating properly. Both times I knew they wanted to go the wrong way – but " the GPS is never wrong" – so we went the wrong way.

yetiguy
    Free Member

"Nervously raises head above the parapet"

How long would a ride like that take?

MSP

"Nervously raises head above the parapet"

How long would a ride like that take?

Depends I am expecting to take 6 days, but I will be in Scotland for 10 days, so I will be planning a route rather than a schedule, thats the way I prefer it, with a bit of flexibilaty, stop and camp early if I feel tired or if the weathers bad.

Of course if your using paper maps and you fall in a river, then navigating by paper mache and compass could add extra time to the trip. 😉

Ringo
    Free Member

If your on about the st bees to robin hood bay route i have a gpx for this. It sticks mainly to the woodcock route. email my profile for a copy and ill get it sent within a day or so.

richpips
    Free Member

And if / when your GPS fails? Thats the issue. You crash into a river – teh GPS has a broken screen and the works are shorted out by the water?

It's not an issue, if I'm going somewhere remote I carry a spare GPS. Plus I've got more than enough skillz not to fall in a river. Though iirc my GPS is waterproof anyway. I've had GPSs for 5 years and never had one breakdown or send me the wrong way.

aracer
    Free Member

Paper maps like their GPS generated brethren are often wrong. OS is being regularly updated.

Yes OS paper maps are regularly updated because the hills keep moving 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just because it never has happened does not mean it won't. A paper map will never fail. Even wet they retain usability.

MSP

A paper map will never fail

Just because it never has happened does not mean it won't

Stick to reading about the outdoors in the daily mail camping supplement, You have said nothing that convinces me that you have ever been beyond the end of the garden, and I expect you need a map to get there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MSP – I have trekked unsupported in Scotland, Mainland Europe,and South america. I have climbed many a mountain on different continents- my first mountain in the 60s. I have criss crossed scotland on foot and by bike

I have reasonable mountaincraft and a fair amount of experience. I would never rely on a piece of complex technology for my safety.

devs
    Free Member

Oh, and I'll bet those guys from RAF Kinloss don't use paper maps, but instead a GPS based system.

Those guys DO use paper maps. They carry GPS as an emergency back up. The use of GPS is seen as poor skills. They are tested on their navigation skills regularly. They give up 3 weekends out of 4 doing their training, testing and rescuing so that, when an arrogant, ignorant muppet comes along they are able to get him off the hill as quickly and safely as possible.
    Being safe in such places isn't difficult when the sun is shining. It's when things start to go wrong when people find that they are under prepared and start making possibly fatal mistakes. I've said my piece, I can't make you take advice and I genuinely hope you never get into difficulties. Stay safe.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Got a mate in the RAF (flies on Puma helicopters) and he says they use maps primarily rather than GPS. He told me once about an exercise they were doing with the Yanks who used GPS solely and were completely stuck when it failed and had to navigate using maps 😆

kennyp
    Free Member

Another vote here for the map and compass brigade. A GPS can be a handy bit of kit, but there's no substitute for being able to navigate properly, even if you've lost your compass and your map's blown away.

Chances are you'll never need to, but there's always that slight chance it'll save your life.

aracer
    Free Member

Stick to reading about the outdoors in the daily mail camping supplement, You have said nothing that convinces me that you have ever been beyond the end of the garden, and I expect you need a map to get there.

On the contrary, it was quite clear that TJ knows what he's doing even before he spelled it out. It's you and the others advocating using just GPS who come across as having never left your own garden, and being unable to leave the house if the batteries on your GPS have run out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thank you aracer – I an no Ranulph Fiennes but I have found my way around a few places. Safety is an attitude.

kcr
    Free Member

I find paper maps have advantages in usability over GPS. It's much easier to get a sense of context by glancing at a paper map, compared to the narrow field of view presented by a GPS – where you have come from, where you are heading and alternatives or interesting detours from your principal route.
    The ideal solution for me is to print a custom Tracklogs map on a few sheets of A4 and stick it in a plastic wallet. This saves having to carry multiple maps or work around inconvenient folds.
    GPS is great for instant location fixes and conveniently tracking a planned route, but I wouldn't want to rely on it alone.
    Arguments about safety or practicality apart, OS maps are just works of art that are lovely to study. Scrolling around a wee GPS screen just isn't the same.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

TJ rules here, I don't (yet) own a GPS & like him have 'found my way around a few places' If or when I do own a GPS It'll only be a back up to let me know where I am IF, I cock up.

But oddly, I've not cocked up in 20 years of riding, whereas 2 mates who where Polarissing cocked up COMPLETELEY & lost all their points by using GPS only.
    Like I said before, crack on dude.

aracer
    Free Member

I couldn't agree more, kcr – like you I rarely if ever carry full paper maps nowadays, preferring the lower bulk of digital printouts (which also have the advantage of allowing custom areas and scales – for example I often use 1:62500 scale by printing 1:50k at 80%). I own a GPS, but rarely use it – will probably consider selling it if I get a dedicated tracker, which is about the only thing I use one for.

Still find it hard to believe people use only a GPS for Polaris – how can you possibly plan ahead properly? Fairly sure the top boys still like me don't use one at all (I can't think of a single occasion when I'd have looked at one if I'd had it sitting on my handlebars).

MSP

To be honest since living on the continent I have come to realise that as fantastic as OS mapping is, it has taught us to be far too anal about micro managing navigation.

Now I am much more relaxed about it and still always seem to get to where I am going. Perhaps some of you should try it.

mt
    Free Member

In my 2nd recent Scotish C2C I can assure you that a) at times there was no/very little trail on the ground, b) in the event of a mistake(you probably don't make them)or accident, it would be some while before anyone else would be along, c) the gps did not always find a satelite, d) there was zero mobile coverage (not so important but helpful if needed) for hours. TJ is absolutely right here, under estimate the advice at your own risk and of course those who will try to find you.

You should do the crossing though, it's fantastic. Try it east to west though to me it just seemed better finishing at the Atlantic. Have fun.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Still find it hard to believe people use only a GPS for Polaris –
    Dunno if it's still the same but then a paper map was mandatory, My mate steve was relying on paper & his partner was relying on GPS! Steve lost the 'argument' & they **** up. I'd never ever go with just GPS. Don't get me wrong, I do intend to get a GPS device, but mainly to hopefully tell me where I am with a GR just in case I cock up biggish style.

devs
    Free Member

It would appear that my first impression was correct. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘scottish coast to coast route’ is closed to new replies.