Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Scones
  • teagirl
    Free Member

Butter on a cream scone (pron, scon)? Weird!

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Best cherry scones are available at nickel end marina on derwent water just outside of Keswick, absolutely sublime.

elaineanne
    Free Member

what about the fishcake/scone scenerio i mentioned earlier in the thread….. i wud like your views on that too..interesting these kinda subjects 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you were having a jam butty, would you put the butter on top of the jam ? No.

That's why you put butter on first, then jam, then cream. The only solution. Butter serves a different purpose from cream anyway, butter is basically something to stick things to the bread, whilst providing a nice flavour, cream is a nice topping for things. No point in using lovely thick clotted cream if you're just going to squish it all up.

I did empirical testing of the jam vs cream ordering, and the problem with cream then jam is that you can't get a decent amount of cream on, and you can't get the jam spread nice and evenly. The other way round, you can get a nice even spread of jam, and a decent quantity of cream. As a plus, you avoid mixing jam and cream on your utensils, which is nice if you're having a large number of scones one after the other.

Oh and sk-owns.

Sorted.

Joe

trailmonkey

That's why you put butter on first, then jam, then cream

Sorry, what part does butter play in a cream tea ❓

Extreme west country delicacy fail

nickc

Raisins in your scone?

Isn't a proper scone without them…

(jam then cream)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Woppit, are you out of your little tiny mind? FRENCH jam on a scone? FRENCH? FRENCH?

Get thee away from me, foul feind!

English strawberries (And raspberries) are the Best in The World. Of that there is no doubt, so therefore make THE BEST JAM. Remember that young man!

toppers3933
    Free Member

butter jam then cream…win, win ,win. heart fail(ure)!!! 😯

Starrman28
    Free Member

My lad has just brought some home from school that he made earlier, I'm gonna tet both methods…………….report later 🙂

Starrman28
    Free Member

both methods now tested, I go for jam then cream. Enhanced cream effect 🙂

Starrman28
    Free Member

For reference the Jam was hartleys the cream cornish cc

IdleJon

trailmonkey – Member

That's why you put butter on first, then jam, then cream

Sorry, what part does butter play in a cream tea

Here in Wales butter gets spread on everything – cream teas, fish fingers, cornflakes, absolutely everything. The thicker and saltier the better.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I'm with Mr Woppit.

sc-xc

Scon. Not Scown. Idiots.

Jamesy
    Free Member

cinnamon and rasin are the way forward, with a bit of butter

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for PeterPoddy above!

For me, it's got to be Devonian clotted cream, put on first of course, and then a smattering of Tiptree's divine Little Scarlet.
    Top nommage.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Scones’ is closed to new replies.