Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Science question?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

If you had 2 identical lights, and put them on the opposite ends of your bars, and then put stage lighting gels on them, one red and one green. If you then wore a pair of 50’s 3d glasses, would you see in 3d?

Kevevs
    Free Member

you already see in 3D

wombat

Yes providing you have the coloured lights the opposite way round to the coloured lenses in the specs….probably 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

Quote: you already see in 3d

I know, but night riding flattens features, hence why people (me included) supplement bar lights with head torch etc

clubber
    Free Member

The flattening is down to your light source being closer to your eyes than is usual (and a point source), removing/reducing shadow, isn’t it? Head lights are worse for this (closer to your eyes).

3D glasses/lighting/etc would do nothing to change that.

muddygoose
    Free Member

Probably, but you’d also crash in 3D and that’d be really painful!

Kevevs
    Free Member

night vision goggles like the wierdo in Silence of the Lambs, that’s what you want.

toys19
    Free Member

No.

AndyRT
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    No.

spoilsport

toys19
    Free Member

I only said it wouldn’t work, I didn’t say don’t try..

molgrips
    Free Member

What clubber said. All you’d do is see things in funny colours.

The flattening is down to loss of shadows. Putting a white light on either end of your bars might help, or putting one down by your forks.

You could also use a really big parabolic reflector, but that would get in the way a bit I think.

cookeaa

You need diffuse area lighting to cast some useful shadows. probably best to fit full flood lighting along your whole route during the day, saves you needing lights on the bike too so saves weight too.

Win/Win I reckon..

mintimperial

You could get a helicopter with a big ****-off spotlight on it to follow you along your ride, that might help. Could give you a bit of a boost into headwinds too, as an added bonus.

avdave2

You could get a helicopter with a big ****-off spotlight on it to follow you along your ride, that might help. Could give you a bit of a boost into headwinds too, as an added bonus.

This is easily arranged by starting every night ride by holding up your local off licence or a handy petrol station with a gun.

mintimperial

This is easily arranged by starting every night ride by holding up your local off licence or a handy petrol station with a gun.

Oooh, good idea; it’s free, and the armed pursuit provides excellent motivation to give it beans too. It’s the perfect winter training plan!

rugbydick

What you need is to separate the light source as far from your eyes as possible, say 150 million kilometres.

That would be too far to run a power cable so you would need some form of self preserving light source, nuclear fusion would work best.

From such a distance it would need to be absolutely enormous, probably in excess of 1 million kilometres across.

This would give the unwanted side effect of having its own gravitational field, causing the earth to rotate around it.

So unfortunately you would only see the light for about 12 hours each day.

clubber
    Free Member

But that’s ok, you could get some lights and strap them on your bike for when it’s hidden behind the rest of the planet…

damion
    Free Member

That is the most ingenius thing i’ve read all day.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Science question?’ is closed to new replies.