• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sciatica……….arrrrgggghhhhh
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

I don't know what the hell ive done to my back but Jesus it fes like someone is trying to cripple me.

It's more than definately sciatica, I had it years ago, but does anyone have any tips to help with the pain?

qcamel
    Free Member

I suffer with this on and off, especially when I have been on the bike a lot, I find a massage helps enormously…..She is a sports physio and relaxes the area of tension. I also find lying down flat on a warm floor helps too…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Stretch your piriformis!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbpkAOxro5Q&feature=related (enjoyable to watch (with sound off) even if your not suffering 😉 )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I had this last year, it's not good, it was that bad i was on morphene, and even that didn't touch it!

I found what worked for me best in the end was anti-inflamatory drugs, heat (try your local sauna) and as Bushwacked sez stretch your piriformis but don't go forcing it. Also as bad as it seems and as much as you may just want to lay on the floor, try and keep moving.

giantonagiant

MrsG had similar trouble for a long time over the last few years and tried all sorts of conventional and alternative treatments, untill the docs were even talking about possible surgery.

Then she was recommended 'Bowen Therapy' by a friend.

http://www.bowen-technique.co.uk/

After the first session she could feel a difference and within 3 the pain was gone. She'd tried all sorts – massage, chiro, acupuncture, etc and nowt touched the pain. This worked for her.

Good luck with whatever you try.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Try road cycling when you are able to. I havnt had a bad back since i started 9 months ago.Also i am 54 years old and have suffered with a bad back for over twenty years of ground work.
    Now i havnt felt fitter and cycle about a hundred miles a week.Try it you never know it will help those core muscles

higthepig
    Free Member

Had physio, acupuncture, drugs (including morphine) even a TENS machine for a while, none worked. Then had a proper diagnosis, a bulging disc removed and returned back to normal.
    I laid on the floor a lot, raised knees towards the chest keeping feet flat on the floor, then leaned knees (locked together) to either side slowly and under control. This put a twist on the spine and relieved the pain sometimes, worked for me but try at your peril!
    Go see you GP and try to get the cause sorted rather than the symptoms, although it took 3 years for me to get it diagnosed/operated on, totally sympathise with your plight, good luck.

AlexBerry
    Free Member

Just recoverring from a prolapsed disc, so my suggestion would be find out what the real problem is. Bulging, Prolapse etc……I managed to get my local NHS to give mean MRI by sheer persistence……also Accupuncture and as much excercise as possible and I'm almost back to normal.
    Get a plan in place and good luck.

allthepies
    Free Member

A symptom of an underlying issue which could be prolapsed disc, muscle problem etc etc. You need to find out what that underlying cause is and get that treated appropriately.

igm

I had a epidural steroid. It worked for me – but it's an awkward experience getting it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sciatica……….arrrrgggghhhhh’ is closed to new replies.