• This topic has 56 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Schwalbe Tyres = Kack
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Running Fat Alberts Snakeskins at 38psi,and Im 14 stones in weight. Getting pinch flats every ride,WTF is that about at £40 a tyre??? + £3 every ride for a tube. will be going back to the HR's at this rate.

br
    Free Member

Rims too narrow?

druidh
    Free Member

Well, you've convinced me.

SOAP
    Free Member

mavic 321's so should be plenty wide enough.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Lol at this thread.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

….tubeless.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Bad riding? Had no issues with mine on 719s.

thomthumb
    Free Member

try more air.

aP
    Free Member

Maybe you could lose some weight and buy Alberts? Or put some more air in them……?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

favourite tyre brand to fail at Brownbacks races, just ask Twinkly Dave…..

and don't think tubeless will save you

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Learn to ride a bit more lightly? Sorry, but you must be hitting things bloody hard to be pinch flatting every ride.

SOAP
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5rylgMxRSM
    looks smooth(ish) to me 😆

Andyhilton
    Free Member

bad workman etc

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

+1 for learning to ride.

duntstick
    Free Member

Which one's didn't you flat @ 38 PSI…….

I'm running FA's here (but it's generally dry)
    UST style, crap in the the wet, but as I said….

Can't imagine getting a flat!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Watched (some of) the video & see where you're goin wrong now-you're riding a Marin, get rid of that & all will be well 😀

SOAP
    Free Member

jeez I never thought it might be the Frame. better get me a "5" NOT!

elaineanne
    Free Member

put some more air in ! very rare i get flats, had one the other week but that was a soddin 'carpet tack' someone had thrown into the road just as i was outside my house….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

are tubes use once and bin now?

poppa
    Free Member

It's probably not the tyre.

molgrips
    Free Member

Some tyres need more air than others. 38psi might be your 'normal' pressure, but don't think it'll be the same in all tyres.

I thought my Speedking 2.3s were terrible until I pumped them up harder.

Re Schwalbe, I love the ones I've tried.

elaineanne
    Free Member

oh also check there are no spikey bits… ie 'thorns' inside your tyres (worth a look).lol 😉

SOAP
    Free Member

I do like them Grip wise,and they look pretty cool, but its just the Flats that bug me,
    I will try more air 45psi and see how that goes.
    might be some cheep FA's on here monday

unklebuck
    Free Member

I've only ever had a handfull of pinch flats that can't be patched and reused if done properly, some of them big enough to put your finger through!! Unless the hole is huge the repair is easiy as strong as the rest of the rest of the tube, have always seen it as a challange to get as many patches on as possible before having to bin it 😆

I'm the same weight as you and never ran a tubed 2.25 tyre higher than 35 psi, only got the odd pinch flat on a section of trail local to me that's surfaced with broken house bricks, but I like to hit it at the kind of speeds your doing accross that smooth grassy hillside 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

more air try 50 psi or there abouts or learn to ride over stuff rather than through it

SOAP
    Free Member

Unklebuck tubes coming your way for repairs 😉

Sonor
    Free Member

I do like them Grip wise,and they look pretty cool, but its just the Flats that bug me,

Are we buying tyres because they are esthetically pleasing these days? 😉

unklebuck
    Free Member

… but thinking about it, have only ever run Schwalbe tubeless.

They're as light and quick as they are because they as so thin, softer suspension, higher pressures and careful line choices are the only advice I can offer, or try something a little more robust.

I swapped from 2.25 nobby nics to 2.1 maxxis advantage after putting a hole in the carcass that was a bit too big to seal twice in the space of 3 weeks. I know that 2.1 tyres aren't considered rad-core enough these days, but they do give more grip, seem sturdier and roll almost as quickly.

TheSanityAssassin

I found the same problem (same tyre, same rim, similar pressure) when I had a pair of FAs. The sidewall seems very flimsy to me. Sacked them off for High Rollers and haven't had a pinch flat in around 4 years now.

unklebuck
    Free Member

Chippy – Member
    Unklebuck tubes coming your way for repairs

My record was about 20 is on one tube, as long as there weren't more than two overlapping patches in one place they were usualy ok. Looked a bit warty when deflated though. You need to see it as a challange, only bin if you need to use more than the tubes replacement cost worth of patches in one go 😯

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

LOL@outraged schwalbe fan boys.

konabunny
    Free Member

Are we buying tyres because they are esthetically pleasing these days?

http://www.sweetskinz.com/

Filthy
    Free Member

Same tyres here, 15 stone, 35 psi rear 25 front, never had a pinch flat on a hardtail…

andytherocketeer

OK mine are NN/RR rather than FA, but I'm 100kg on a hardtail, with tyres/tubes pumped to 35psi (Conti tubes), maybe a fraction more. 1000km est. with 0 punctures, pinch or otherwise. I must be doing something wrong 😕

kamina
    Free Member

That's some pretty high pressure for Fat Alberts. I have a lot of friends who run them, but everybody says they have very bad traction in the wet if you go over ~25psi. Never heard of anyone having problems, but then again I don't know anyone who uses tubes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£3 every ride for a tube

Repair them then!

That said, I thought Nobby Nics were shite too. Far too flexy and always trying to roll off the rime in corners. Even pumped up 'too hard' for me, it didn't help. They're just not tough enough. Nevegals fixed that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Learn to ride a bit more lightly? Sorry, but you must be hitting things bloody hard to be pinch flatting every ride.

LOL/WTF? at that comment!

Why the hell should you have to change your riding style to compensate for a crap tyre? Dumb comment of the day methinks, along with all the similar ones here….. 🙄

'hitting things bloody hard'
    This IS mountainbiking you know….. You get rocks and roots and stuff

Sheesh……

dans160
    Free Member

My nobby nic on the rear pinched at Coed Y Brenin, I put my spare ardent on and gave it some more air and all was fine after that. The nic has been perfect outside of rocky trail centres.

donsimon
    Free Member

Had Jimmy's for ages and never had problems, ok, I'm 72kg and ride like a mincer. I think Schwalbe are great tyres, sidewalls are a bit thin to get the weight down. They're light and fast, I love them.

@PP, maybe the style of riding isn't suited to the design, so either change the riding style or change the tyre. Doesn't mean they're crap though!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps try some bigger tubes, that go up to say 2.5". these tend to be more robust as they aren't stretched so thinly when inflatetd.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Tyres = Kack’ is closed to new replies.