Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Schwalbe tyre question
  • popps
    Free Member

Do schwalbe ust tyres have tougher sidewalls than say there tubeless ready versions?
    And is the compound/performance as good?

jimjam
    Free Member

The sidewalls are much, much thicker. The compounds, I presume would be similar to the higher end versions. I’ll never buy another Schwalbe tyre again though as they last me a few weeks before going to sh*t.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Schwalbe don’t make ust tyres but I’ve found their snakeskin versions the best when running tubeless.

popps
    Free Member

? I’ve got two on my bike?

roverpig

I recently ordered a 29er TLR Nobby Nic and although the Schwalbe box said that was what it was, what was inside the box was a 26″ UST Nobby Nic. So, one out of three then. Oh, well, lucky CRC returns are free and easy I guess.

Anyway, they are certainly making them, but only in stealth wrapping it seems!

Klunk
    Free Member

Schwalbe don’t make ust tyres

simply not true, Schwalbe do make UST tyres.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Look on the Schwalbe website. There is no mention of ust. I’m not aware of Schwalbe ever paying the license fee to use the ust name. Hence TL ready. That is my understanding but i may be wrong.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Evo snakeskin is great, tight, stiff sidewalls that don’t squirm or pop off the rim with low weight and a supple tread.. Running Dampfs tubeless on stans crest/arch at 20/25psi I smash then all over the shop without a care. Bombproof, nice slow rebound and grippy.

Nics and Ralph’s seem more fragile.

localhero94
    Free Member

I have a couple of UST Schwalbes in the shed, not used them for a while as the snakeskin versions were just as good tubeless and lighter. They definitely made them though, and if you look at the Nobby Nics on the Schwalbe site they are listed as ‘Tubeless ready’ or ‘Tubeless’ which I presume are the ust’s.

Klunk
    Free Member

Look on the Schwalbe website. There is no mention of ust. I’m not aware of Schwalbe ever paying the license fee to use the ust name. Hence TL ready. That is my understanding but i may be wrong.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/mtb/produkt/?ID_Produktgruppe=41&ID_Produkt=177

racing ralphs in both tl ready and UST tubeless (also being 200g heavier than the tl ready)

rondo101
    Free Member

The Big Betty on the front of my FS is UST (with the logo an’ evryfink). Weighs a lot more than the tubeless ready ones, so I assume that includes sidewall reinforcement. Hans Dampfs now come in “Super Gravity” compound too, having more sidewall reinforcement than the snakeskin ones IIRC.

Jimjam’s right though; although the sipes on the tread are still visible, the side knobs are all coming away from the carcass on Big Betty & Hans Dampfs (snakeskin, not super gravity) this year, and Fat Alberts last year, after 2 weeks in the Alps. No issues with sidewall damage on either.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve had problems with side knob tear on the trail star dampf on my FS. think the compound is just too soft and will be relying on pacestar from now on both bikes. The pace star on the HT is not suffering at all.

BenjiM

racing ralphs in both tl ready and UST tubeless (also being 200g heavier than the tl ready)

Maybe I’m being a bit thick but even doing a search I can’t find the term UST on that page!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Cant see any ust’s on the UK sie though…

angeldust
    Free Member

Schwalbe DO make UST tyres, I have some (as above, they have the UST logo). Won’t buy any more though as they are not robust and a pain to fit compared to all other UST tyres I own.

Klunk
    Free Member

Maybe I’m being a bit thick but even doing a search I can’t find the term UST on that page!

click on the plus sign of a tubeless tyre hover your mouse over Execution:Tubeless and a popup will read

Engineered for the MAVIC-Tubeless System (UST)

as for the UK site try downloads Technical Information pdf page 13 what is a tubeless tire, with listings under Nobby Nic,Fat Albert, Furious Fred & racing ralph

njee20
    Free Member

That is my understanding but i may be wrong.

It is, they did UST before TLR. that said, I didn’t realise they still did them.

popps
    Free Member

It seems that there ust range have tougher side walls but the tread isn’t as tough…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe tyre question’ is closed to new replies.