Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres
  • rainbow
    Free Member

I am looking to get a set soon, any of you use them and how do you rate them? some have told me that they are prone to punctures but a good do-it-all tyres at all weathers, I mostly ride xc with a few trips to Afan/Cwmcarn.

Cheers

Kryton57

Love them, they are as you describe. If you’re worried about punctures get the Snakeskin version.

superfli
    Free Member

Just put a set on my new HT. I’m very impressed with them, excellent levels of grip in the dry (Sunday), and being wet last night, they still had plenty of grip and didnt clog much compared to other tyres that were being used. I think I’ll get another pair for my FS.

coogan
    Free Member

I thought they were utter garbage. Off the bike in under a month.

Northwind

I’m liking the 2.25 but the wear rate’s horrendous, if I’d paid full price I’d be fuming. They’ve lost the edges off most of the knobs and the grip’s gone all to hell as a result. I do like them but I won’t buy another I think, there are tyres just as good that last far longer (my Eskars don’t even show any meaningful wear after a lot more use than has wiped out the Nics)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

My NN’s seem to go on & on, love them. Only better tyre is a Rocket Ron but they are a little thin..if only there was a snakeskin version or similar..

Haze

Snakeskin’s have been excellent for me.

popartpoem
    Free Member

I have Nobby Nic on the front and Racing Ralph on the back, both UST with Stan’s Sealant … Brilliant mixed weather combo.

rainbow
    Free Member

Cheers for feedbacks, I bought MTB mag today and there is a test of do-it-all tyres out 15 tyres and the top three is Continental Mountain King II, Specialized Eskars and Schwalbe Nobby Nic.

Nick

I like the Evo’s especially when running them tubeless on some Crest rims, however I’ve been unlucky and shredded a tyre wall on one and then rode over something that has gashed the tyre in the middle of the tread, all in the space of a month two almost unworn tyres in the bin 🙁

tobytaylorj
    Free Member

The evo tubeless ones are ace, if you don’t change tyres up for different conditions which I dont, I reckon they are pretty hard to beat as an allrounder.
    my blog

ononeorange

Generally good, a little prone to tearing more than others, but I find them pretty useless in heavy mud.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I run them and think they are OK, but I dont swap and changes tyres so can’t compare them to others.

Where I do find them bad is on grass, they just appear to suck themselves in to it! I find them very difficult to seat properly on my rims and had to use washing up liquid to get them on. I’ve never had a puncture with them but would be concerned about getting them seated properly again.

I run 2.25’s which are relatively large volume. I looked at 2.4’s but the they weigh stupidly more compared to the 2.25’s.

BadlyWiredDog

Relatively light, relatively fast, relatively grippy. I’ve found the sidewalls vulnerable in the Peak and also they seem to have a narrow range of pressures where they work best – too little pressure and they’re wobbly and imprecise, slightly too much and they just bounce off things – and the difference between the two isn’t that great.

Used to use them lots, now have more faith in Maxxis, but I suspect it depends a lot on where and how you ride.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m running 2.25″ snakeskin No-Ni’s as tubeless on Crest rims and i think they are great… loads of traction… they were absolutely bang on for Afan.

drain

The initial wear rate on the tubed versions is high for the first few rides, but then seems to settle down, so they do last, IME.

The UST versions, being thicker, are lasting really well. Love ’em. The UST Rons are even better though, even if a mad price!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Spesh Eskars knock spots off nobby nics on anything involving rocks

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Just put my first set on about 6 weeks ago. Its been 6 weeks of butt-clenching terror. Lethal on wet rocks, roots and mud. Very flimsy sidewalls. Some grip at very low pressure but then its snakebite punctures galore, might actually be decent if run tubeless @ 20psi. Im planning to switch back to Maxxis Minions ASAP, not much of a weight penalty and 10 times the tyre IMO.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Either I’m unlucky but the amount of thorns I’ve had in my racing Ralph’s and nobby nics is beyond a joke..
    Am I a magnet for thorns or are they just soft tyres with not much puncture resistance?

SOAP
    Free Member

walls are to thin for a fat lad 🙁

honourablegeorge

If you buy the cheap, thin versions, you’ll get cheap, thin tyres.

Snakeskin and/or Evo ones excellent

snowpaul
    Free Member

Not a fan in my opinion

hey ho

Waderider
    Free Member

Made of paper.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use the narrower ones as XC race mud tyres. I manage in Mayhem style gloop but whenever there’s firmer sections I don’t drag.

I don’t use them as recreational mud tyres though.

onion
    Free Member

Used them for years. Sidewalls are thin so gashed one on some gashy type rocks but fine for rock gardens like in afan on skyline. I’ve found them very sticky and clear mud fairly well but not as good as a proper mud tyre.

scant
    Free Member

the evo version wear out pretty fast. I’m hoping to get longer life from the cheaper/harder performance version. that said, they’re pretty light & surprisingly grippy for such low rolling resistance.

aracer
    Free Member

Am I a magnet for thorns or are they just soft tyres with not much puncture resistance?

I wouldn’t know. I run them tubeless.

IanW
    Free Member

On my second set so must like em but they are fragile. Ok for in Suffolk, theres no stones, just miles and miles of loamy singletrack and rigid single speeders in which case the big volume paper thin tyres are the dogs do daass.

Any rocks though and I would have the snakeskin version or better still some nice high rollers gnarr tyres.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I’m curious to know which of the folk that like them are riding hardtails. Have had them on my c456 and hx2 but found maxxis better on the 314 slappy I had.

Goldigger
    Free Member

If you buy the cheap, thin versions, you’ll get cheap, thin tyres.

Snakeskin and/or Evo ones excellent

I have both the ralphs and nics in Evo…I think there really soft!

jerseychaz

I’ve been running them on my Scale 30 for a few years now. Touching wood, I haven’t had a puncture for a year or so 🙂 BUT previous to that, I punctured three races on the trot! I try not to use them “on-road” as the wear rate can be awful but they do all I want except when it’s really gloopy mud. Horses for courses methinks.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres’ is closed to new replies.