Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Schwalbe dual compound performace tyres.
  • granny_ring

Are these enough of an improvement over the old performance tyres to consider them?

I know not to expect the same performance as the higher end tyres in the range but any feedback on them?

Ta

granny_ring

Anyone?

mattyfez

I couldn’t comment, but the EVO ones are superior to the performance line in my experience.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

I’d spend the extra and get the better performing ones.

It could be a number of factors, granted, but after only a couple of rides I ditched the Hans Dampf I was running upfront. It’ll sit in the garage until conditions get wet enough to put it on the back instead of my Rock Razor.

I didn’t find it offered any kind of confidence, and managed to wash the front end out twice, in both the dry and the wet.

On the plus side, it’s very light and rolls well, but wasn’t my cup of tea, at least on the front.

granny_ring

Yes I was wondering more about use as a front tyre and grip.

gelert
    Free Member

Depends what you’re riding. Along a canal you’ll be fine with Performance tyres. On a decent trail with variable mixed conditions… be careful.

I wouldn’t personally put a Performance line on any bike unless I wanted no confidence and lots of crashes. Had one come OEM on a new bike. Awful. Sprained a wrist on a flat corner.

I use Trail Star compound on the front for Schwalbe. Both Hans Dampf and Magic Mary are great in Trail Star Snakeskin in both wet and dry. Confidence inspiring – do everything tyres. Trail / Enduro / beginner DH.

Pace Star would be ok on the back (not ridden it myself though). I use the 60A/62A dual compound from Maxxis on the rear. I did run a Trail Star HD out back last winter. I’m going to see how far into winter the Maxxis rears get this year. The DHR2 EXO TR has been great to be fair.

dyls

I ride my local trail centres with the performance dual compound (nobby nics), no problems at cyb, marin etc.

Clobber
    Free Member

I thought the new “performance” was the old Evo’s?

The original ORC performance being the dangerous ones

lovewookie

I use a triple compound NN up front and a new dual compound perfiomance NN on the rear. it’s a bit slower than the triple, but that may be down to a change in tread pattern to be honest. I never could figure out how NN’s were so fast and grippy at the same time.

The perfomance line seems to work well, not bad over wet rocks, rolls well enough and seems to be wearing ok too.

so far, impressed.

gelert
    Free Member

I’d go for a semi soft triple compound on the front and something harder wearing on the rear.

IMO all tyres have useful grip relative to your speed and technique. Personally I’ve found the faster and harder I’ve ridden with better fitness and hopefully better skills over the past two years the more grip I want at the front and I want something pretty stable and good at breaking out back. Some of the tracks I ride now are also a lot steeper than I used to ride so that may also be a factor 😉

Good tyres I’ve had and worn out:
    AdVantage, HR2, HD, Mary, DHR2

Bad tyres I’ve had and binned:
    Mountain King II OEM, Rocket Ron OEM, Nobby Nick OEM.

granny_ring

Are some of you guys talking about the ‘old’ performance tyres rather than the newer dual compound ones?

I thought the new “performance” was the old Evo’s?

Guess that would make sense.

gelert
    Free Member

😳 I didn’t mean breaking, I meant braking 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe dual compound performace tyres.’ is closed to new replies.