Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA – Boardman CX Team £629
  • PMK2060

Halfords are selling the Boardman CX Team for £629 today only. I am not sure if you can also use the British Cycling discount card on top but either way this is a great bike for the money.

cp

BC discount applies to all items in stock at your store, so as long as in stock, yes you can use it.

Do the store such check then reserve online, collect and pay in store.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

699 not 629. So would be 629 after BC discount 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive used my bc discount on items ive had delivered to store too after using the click and collect

cp

699 not 629. So would be 629 after BC discount

nope…

brings it down to 629, and BC brings it down to £566. Use Quidco and you get even more off effectively.

Bargain.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Didn’t work on my phone – went to their site and stuck one in basket to check for t’other half after our London Road fiasco 🙄

Will have to go old school and fire the laptop up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with mine, but at that price you could make some nice upgrades to it – I’d recommend a decent light set of wheels first off.

slackboy

Beat me to it!

Its 20% off today + an extra 10% off road bikes which makes £629.

You may be able to get the british cycling discount as well, which would take it down to £567, but technically it doesn’t apply in conjunction with other vouchers.

Seems like a good deal at that price

cp

but technically it doesn’t apply in conjunction with other vouchers.

There are no other vouchers involved – the online price with 20% off and extra 10% discount are sale discounts, they are not vouchers so BC applies fine.

twelveski
    Free Member

Do you use the BC discount when paying in store? Can’t see anywhere during checkout to enter the code.

AlexSimon

Flippin cheap that.
    I paid that for mine without wheels! – then spent £230 on wheels.
    (previous generation model)

Absolutely love it!

cp

Do you use the BC discount when paying in store?

Yes

bikebouy
    Free Member

Heavy old lump though that bike.

I had one for MrsBouy and by the time I stuck guards on it it weighed more than the QE2 on departure day. 😆
    Sold it a month later and not for £699/629/567 either.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I wondered where the weight was coming from.

Combination of the wheels and all that polyfilla stuck to the frame I presume.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a strange one this because they could have made the thing a lot lighter by spec’ing some decent wheels, lighter bars/post/seat etc and you are pretty much halfway there.
    Whilst it’s a chugalong it rode nicely, tracked well, built well, looked nice in silver/red and all the hallmarks of being sweet.
    I see a few, far fewer than I expected, around Town being used as commuters, racked and guarded up. Makes me wonder how hard these guys are having to peddle up the ramp into Canary Wharf, sweat city 😆

But it’s gonna cost you a fair few quid to replace all the heavy things, better off with a CdF/CdA or Xlight IMO.

ampthill

Surely the CDA at that price are no lighter, or am I missing something?

AlexSimon

Mine isn’t heavy at all – compared to the competition. 21.5lb
    I swapped seatpost, stem and wheels (mine didn’t come with any).
    Thomson seatpost and stem are both heavier than the originals 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

well my Saracen Hack (similar bike) is still 10.3kg with Kinesis V3 wheels and an alloy-carried cassette, which dropped >600g compared to the lumps it came with.

Didn’t get on with mine

chapaking, seem to remember you’ve mentioned that before, but why not? Weight? Geometry? Kit? Have reserved one for munqe chick so have hopefully “banked” the discounts for a week, may well be too big for her the lowest they go to is 50cm and she normally rides sub 50s, hired a 50cm Supersix in Lanzarote for a week and thought that was a bit too big.

I’m already collecting the bits to build some lightish quality wheels on the expectation M-C is going to buy a disc’ed CX at some point (got a pair of Archetypes and a Novatec 771 rear hub sat in the spare room!).

I notice halfords seem to have deleted their size guide charts (icons appears as the page downloads and then disappear) but seem to have a video on how to choose a bike that fits.

chakaping
    Free Member

why not? Weight? Geometry? Kit?

Mainly the weight and geometry I think.

It seemed like conventional road geometry, compared to the Kona Jake I’d had before which was much more involving on singletrack.

The Boardman just felt heavy and dead. It was hard work on the road and didn’t handle great off-road.

Kit-wise, the transmission and brakes were OK (nothing amazing), the wheels were heavy and the finishing kit seemed reasonable – but I never took it off and weighed it.

But if you can get one for £500-odd, you wouldn’t lose much (if anything) if it didn’t work out.

Disclaimer: I don’t mind admitting I’ve only ridden those two CX bikes so I’m not an expert. And after the Boardman I decided to get a proper winter roadie instead, which really suits my needs much better.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Boardman CX Team £629’ is closed to new replies.