Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • School a complete novice on single speed up front
  • ctrl
    Free Member

Having had a nightmare day with trying to sort out my gears I’ve decided I’m going to declutter my bike and go singlespeed upfront instead of the current two chainrings.

Only problem is no matter how much I try to get my head around it I just can’t for the life of me understand what I should be looking at in regards to gear ratios and the like.

My normal riding is trail centers and the odd cross country route on natural terrain. There’s quite a few big hills and whilst I’m fairly fit I’m pretty much always in my granny ring going up but also enjoy the quick downhills. Is there a best suited tooth size I should be looking at? I don’t want to fit one to realise it’s too hard to cycle up hills.

Also is it direct mount I should be looking at now? (complete novice in regards to maintenance/parts here). I know this topic has come up a few times after searching but anyone care to break it down in to simple laymans terms? Does more teeth equal harder to pedal etc?

Thanks

isitafox
    Free Member

More teeth equals harder to pedal!
    Generally though people tend to go for either a 32t or 34t sprocket depending on the riding and the size of the cassette. I have a 32t up front with 36/11 10 speed cassette for riding in the Peaks which I manage with fine. As for the direct mount choice it depends on what cranks you are running?

ads678

34t narrow wide up front, 11/36 at the back 10 speed shifter/mech, is what I have. you could add a 40 or 42 tooth expander to make big hills easier. Fit this and lose the 17t from your cassette, I’m doing this on my 160mm FS. Clutch mech helps with not loosing the chain as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘School a complete novice on single speed up front’ is closed to new replies.