• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • toys19
    Free Member

Scotland should do well against the ‘mericans, more worrying are their appointments with Samoa and SA.

Pigface
    Free Member

Canada scored some great tries, very unlucky against Italy.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want to support USA since we have a dual nationality household here but their first game was pretty meh, and I find myself rooting for Scotland today, I have a lot of sympathy for them.

anagallis_arvensis

ack on Wood booting Williams in the head… Wasn’t it also him who kicked North in the head recently too?

It was Attwood who booted North in the Wales England game in the six nations.

I thought Lancaster saying it was on on pitch decision to kick for the corner says a lot about the set up. Gatland for all his faults would take the blame to take pressure off his captain and team.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Here’s a thought – maybe England got beat because Wales were the better team on the night. What is it with England fans thinking that they are the best team in the world at every sport? 😉

toys19
    Free Member

What is it with England fans thinking that they are the best team in the world at every sport?

I didn’t read anyone saying this. The general feeling is, with the biggest Union in the world by membership we should be world beaters, but are often shite, I think we all seek answers for this. It is obvious that we got beat by the better side, otherwise we would not have been beaten.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s funny, isn’t it, how when the England 3/4s are looked at it’s always Burgess and not the ineffectual Barrit that cops the blame. Burgess had one loose carry, made a poorly executed but ultimately not dangerous kick and snubbed out Jamie Roberts all the time he was on the pitch.

I’d be asking more questions about Englsnd’s inability to turn the breakdown into more effective attacking play – watch the SH sides and their ability to disorganise defences and keep them disorganised. I’d be looking at the loose forwards and the scrum half TBH.

The idea that Burgess, who left the field with England leading, is any way solely or materially culpable for that loss is absolutely laughable.

toys19
    Free Member

Although a big problem that blights all england play is resorting to Tindall ball, not distributing, thinking you are going to break the line and score a try under the gaze of a princess and get a medal for it. When they should be playing like the AB’s, and always getting the accurate offload, because there are support runners behind you in every qaudrant.(whilst am dreaming can I have a bike that climbs like an Xc whippet and descends like a Dh bike, and magically lose 4 stone, and fill my bank accoun t with gold)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Freester glad you enjoyed it. Agree totally regarding Burgess. Is he a leader ? There is a difference between shouting your mouth off and having respect of the other players. I find it hard to believe he has that with his total lack of experience in Union.

@aa I bet there was a wonderful atmosphere at the rugby this morning with a few sore heads and horse voices 🙂

According to the Guardian Rosbshaw spoke to both Farrell and Ford before deciding for the corner. Supposedly he said they may have gone for 3 if the kick had been easier, as I posted before I think Farrell didn’t fancy it. England’s selection and choice of style did cost them as they should have been well clear points wise. How Wales won a game in which they where so out played at the scrum is quite incredible, England definitely kept them in the game with too many daft infringements particularly the two penalties for not supporting themselves at the breakdown. Bigger was immense not least a 48m penalty to win it. JW posted a nice Tweet is his support

JW / Bigger

I still pick England to beat Australia (although it’s going to be a massive pressure game for us) and with Figi game on Thursday Wales have less time to recover, I cant see a bonus point win and it could be a banana skin plus it will be another tough physical game leading into Australia match. Winning the group was always going to be tough but important to avoid South Africa in the QF

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ourman – Burgess want responsible for the loss but his and Farrells selection was IMO responsible for the way we played and for the fact that Wales where able to stay close. I can’t imagine if the England mgmt had known the Welsh scrum would be so poor (arguably they should have done) they would have picked the same side. We missed a probable try when Youngs (?) should have shipped the ball out to Watson rather than take a tackle.

Rubbish to say England supporters believe we are the best at every support, certainly not rugby nor this RWC where NZ and RSA are far stronger. We have the largest Union not least as we have a population of 50m but rugby is not the preeminent sport it is in NZ, RSA and Wales for example. We should have won that game but that’s the beauty of sport, the Welsh where heroic and well deserved that win.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought Australia looked better up front in their last game than they have for a while, including the scrum. I think having Pocock and Hooper in the back row is a very smart move. Apart from the silly penalties issue, England looked their usual lacklustre self at the breakdowns yesterday. I can’t understand why this is though.

tinybits
    Free Member

Freester – Member
    I think there is some weird shit going on behind the scenes that got him into the squad let alone picked. It may come out in the wash but there are some strange rumors flying around.
    This. How he could be selected when they didn’t even know his position. Some BIG promises made to him to make the switch?

As I posted late last night (after a few beers, wines and drams, so not very eloquently) I had dinner with a chap who helped broker the union switch for burgess, there’s a lot more than Bath having deep pockets. there’s no way he wasn’t getting picked for the squad and at least a few games. Stinks really, however as posted above, he was certainly the best English centre last night. Barrett was awful, again. Utterly useless in attack (which is a given) but also now being found out in defence.

As for the best team in the world comments, well, clearly.in this thread (which had quite a few England fans), there’s going to be quite an outcry against such a poor performance as we have get again failed to live up to our hopes and after several years at the helm, our coach still seems completely clueless about what our best team is.
    I certainly haven’t heard anything other than congratulations for Wales who were clearly the better team last night.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’d like to slag the ref off. I don’t like his style of instant decision making at the breakdown, but he was entirely consistent and fair.

I hope that the refereeing settles down a bit as the tournament goes on. Interpretation always plays a part of the game, but at the moment we have some refs who are phoning a friend on every decision, some who decide in an instant, and then Wayne Barnes, and his sliding scale of ‘attempting to stay on your feet’.

Kryton57

I certainly haven’t heard anything other than congratulations for Wales who were clearly the better team last night.

Quite right, and by miles in the 2nd half.

14 x centre pairings for England, throwing to the front of the line out – which shows Youngs confidence IMO – on a match winning attempt, and as Gareth Edwards correctly said on the telly, Brad Barrit – all tell a story of uncertainty. Watson was a tad lazy in defence also by allowing Wales to run onto him which brought width into play.

Lancaster won’t admit defeat and bring Burrell and Slade into the team or can’t. Giteau will have a field day out there. I think the game against Aus will go down the same as this one, with England being outplayed at the end. Lets hope JJ is fit to play, as Burgess/JJ might be thought only hope we have left in the centres for the remaining RWC.

ourmaninthenorth

@jamba I don’t disagree with you on the tactics of the selection – though both played well as required to do. But you’re spot on that England’s issues stem from a lack of clarity off the pitch and invisible leadership on it. Lancaster is spoiled for choice across several positions, which seems to have driven some extraordinary overthinking. Rugby isn’t always about matching your opponent man for man, but much more about having a clear style and executing it well. Woodward was excellent at this. Sometimes it’s better not to think about the opposition too much.

@tinybits You’re right on Barrett – if it wasn’t for the Engkand 3/4s being miles offside in every (England) defensive breakdown I think he’d have been found out even sooner. in fact that’s one area the ref didn’t do anything about almost all night.

anagallis_arvensis

Burgess had one loose carry, made a poorly executed but ultimately not dangerous kick and snubbed out Jamie Roberts all the time he was on the pitch.

Burgess did not cause the loss but he was completely ineffectual. Roberts schooled him and Williams Who skinned him on the outside when he got dragged out of position. Farrel however was very good.

and as Gareth Edwards correctly said on the telly, Brad Barrit – all tell a story of uncertainty.

Straight to bed with no pudding for you.

anagallis_arvensis

Obviously here we need to ping Gethin!

tallie
    Free Member

Burrell can only be brought in as an injury replacement and the only declared injury in the backs is JJ so it’s unlikely we’ll see that pairing?

A poor performance from England key errors for me were:

Giving away penalties at the breakdown, these were completely unforced (as compared to Wales who only gave away penalties at the scrum or under considerable pressure).

Poor game management and decision making – if we were going to roll the die and go for a try then the penalty under the posts when we were 4 points up and Wales had just made lots of injury replacements was probably the one to go for; although I may be employing 20/20 hindsight there. Equally given our lineout had been shocking all game (and not great this year) and we’d been on top in the scrum all game then why not go for a scrum for the crucial last penalty?

Fair play to Wales – a good win for them which showed lots of Hwyl, grit and determination; hope the butchers bill isn’t too high.

renton
    Free Member

England were losing a lot of ball at every restart as farrel was kicking to far ahead of everyone.

After the first half I thought we had it wrapped up but we just seem to implode in the last twenty.

We will struggle to get out of the group now.

Lancaster needs to go.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa was that the first scrum ? Can’t see how the ref can ping a prop on the far side particularly on the first scrum, as a min it should be a reset so he can have a look. I can’t see Jenkins commiting such a clear offence that it can be called from the wrong side

We’ve discussed the league convert thing to death but aside from Robinson the converts hVe been poor anot least ad they are rushed into International rugby. I don’t agree Roberts schooled Burgess, in fact Roberts was pretty anonymous. Farrell played his game well but his game was not what was required.

The group is far from over but were reliant on Australia doing us a favour and Figi duffing up the Welsh a bit first

Kryton57

Straight to bed with no pudding for you.

I don’t know AA why you can’t continue a decent conversation without pointless comments like this that gets people’s back up.

Just enjoy the rugby can’t you, and leave that on the sidelines.

renton
    Free Member

Watching Australia now. England have no chance.

DanW
    Free Member

That scrum pic could have been any from the first half.

I liked that Lydiate was keeping an eye on the Welsh bind as the scrum was setting and physically moving his props arm forwards and more on to the body at one point

duckman

Not sure about the human interest story before the game. ” I ate my dead team mates and now my son is playing for Uruguay.”

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t know AA why you can’t continue a decent conversation without pointless comments like this that

Here is a clue
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghe96LfUTcI[/video]
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tUoHcwR6FwU[/video]
    Spot the difference. Typical braying Rupert who thinks rugby started in 2003 and all the welsh look the same.

Kryton57

Ok, so I got a name wrong, and rather than politely correct me you add insults to the post. You really do have some issues my friend, no wonder you get some many cautions and bans.

Pigface
    Free Member

Pack it in you two please, this has been rankle free for a while lets keep it that way.

Thank you

duckman

Screw you pigface, ya dick!

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

Kryton57

I’ve nothing to “pack in” pig face. I came on here this morning to discuss yesterday’s rugby, yet not for the first time find myself singled out for attention by AA, the result of which I now can’t post on here again today without possibility of personal prejudice.

A shame.

*shrugs*

Drac

This thread has been well behaved can we keep it that way please?

toys19
    Free Member

All this discussion of performances and quality etc, lets face it the chances are Eng wont make it out of the group and then Lancasters achievement will be no better than Johnsons in the previous effort. It’s funny how perception and press opinion colour the position of a team/coach in the nations eyes.
    In 2011 the warm ups we beat ireland and wales and then wales beat us, not unlike our performance in the warm up matches this year.
    At least under Johnson we won the 6N in the RWC year.
    I don’t give Lancaster any credo now, we need a new boss, and coaching team to bring on some of the better talent.
    (unless of course by some miracle we beat OZ, make to the finals and then stomp NZ but I’ve been fantasising enough today as it is.)

DanW
    Free Member

It’s not a unique jibe to a_a and as always best ignore silly comments whoever they come from. Cheer up, England will likely have a solid amount of bonus points and good points difference so they only need one of the next games (eng and Wales) to go their way and it’s game on for the knockouts

Predictions for the Scotland game? Bonus point win with an interception try seems a safeish bet 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No one has said it yet (I think) but credit to both goal kickers yesterday.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m the biggest detractor of Farrel but he was majestic yesterday.
    Aye scotland will piss this.

muggomagic

No one has said it yet (I think) but credit to both goal kickers yesterday.

Indeed. They were both brilliant. Which makes the decision to go for the corner even more strange.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Discipline was very poor – think back to the silly penalty when the ball had been sent right back to the Welsh 22.

Forget O Farell, what abut the old man? How many times was the ENG defence line doglegged including the all important try???

tallie
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure if they were trying the hinge / rush defence i.e. rush up on the 2nd / 3rd receiver that Wasps used to employ effectively? The line speed was good in the first half where it was effective but they lost coherence in the 2nd half particularly the last 20. If you’re going to use that rush defence you can’t miss tackles otherwise big holes appear.

dantsw13

A few thoughts on England in the cold night of day. I’ve been flying back fromJapan all night, avoiding the Saturday sports sections, trying not to be too grumpy to my crew, even if they were all talking in welsh accents to me all night!!!

1. I was, and still am, happy with the starting team. It did the job it was picked to do with a 10 pt lead.

2. The bench. Owen Farrell is not a match changing centre, nor will wigglesworth be at 9. We had no X factor on the bench. What has happened with Danny Care? Why not play Slade as a plan B at 10/12/15.

3. If you want to bring on Ford to attack in the last 20, having Farrell/Barritt outside him is not the way to do it.

4. Decision making. I don’t blame Robshaw for going for the try near the end, but whoever called a throw to 2, then drove blindside wants shooting. If you go to the front, you need to peel inside. Japan & Fiji showed it perfectly.

5. Maybe England’s lack of experience showed here. You should close out a game from 10 Pte up with 20 to go. This game will be a study in exactly how NOT to do it.

6. The pool of death is looking bad for both eng and Wales at the moment. Wales may well qualify, but their injury list has probably ruled them out as contenders.

I’ve not actually seen the match yet, that pain is for tonight – helped by my latest Yamazaki whisky purchase 😀

My Team for Aus
    Mako
    Youngs
    Brooke’s
    Lawes
    Launch bury
    Wood
    Robshaw
    Billy V
    Youngs
    Farrell
    Burgess
    Slade
    Watson
    May
    Brown

DanW
    Free Member

The Scotland of old is back with a ton of handling errors. Must be very frustrating!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.