Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Scholes has retired. Good or bad?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I like the way he plays but his legs are no longer. It’s going to be a bit easier for other teams, sadly.

yossarian
    Free Member

You’ll concede fewer free kicks around the penalty area now 😉

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

He still had a bit to give but its good that he’s stopped before it all went wrong.
    Glad he’s hanging around to teach the next generation

CaptJon
    Free Member

One of the greatest passers in the game. A shame, but the time is right.

stanley

Can’t believe that he is retiring!!

Worked with his mum and dad for many years. This was a good while ago now- a very ordinary, down to earth couple that worked hard in horrible conditions. Stuart used to tell me about his son’s football interviews/trials and how he had been offered the apprenticeship at Old Trafford.
    I feel like I worked for a good 10 years before Paul started to ‘work’ and I have another 25 years to go!!

Not fair!!

Kato

Cracking tackler

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

His legs are no longer than what?

monksie
    Free Member

This is the season that just keeps on giving. Giggs next, surely.

Kato

monksie – Member

This is the season that just keeps on giving. Giggs next, surely.

Well I’m surprised he has enough time to play anyway

Junkyard
    Free Member

no real chioce tbh legs are so spent he cant he get close enough to a dirty tackle anymore
    Great player though

trailmonkey

i’m going to get flamed for this but for me and through no fault of his own, scholes is the most over rated player of that whole england/man utd generation.

a superb passer, yes. excellent finisher, yes but how can anyone who can’t tackle be feted as a great midfielder, or even played in that position ?

for me, he’s a classic no.10 and it’s a great pity for england that he was never given that role to play.

Sonor
    Free Member

Well I’m surprised he has enough time to play anyway

It appears that he had lots of time to play.

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice piece in the telegragh/times the other day about how many of the modern greats regard him very highly as one the greatest of his generation.

Kato

Kinda of agree with you trailmonkey. Just been listening to Talksport where they were lauding him as the greatest midfield player the Prem has seen

All I could think of was that he couldn’t tackle without conceding a foul or getting sent off.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Class

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoH7Cktn8I[/video]

P20

Should have retired awhile back to be honest.

Dribbles like George Best,
    Shoots like Bobby Charlton
    Passes like Pele
    Tackles like Vera Duckworth!

binners

Should e a lot less cards shown in the premiership next season then. And we may finish more matches with 11 men. Unless Vidic fancies taking up the slack?

He was definitely one of the greats. As much for his attitude off the pitch as his performances on it

jon1973
    Free Member

His legs are no longer than what?

I think he means his legs are no longer than they used to be, which is why he has retired. A good footballer’s legs grow continually during his career.

Hairychested
    Free Member

One of very few footballers who are in papers for footballing reasons, none of this celebrity nonsense.
    Thank you!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_oM60tkv0[/video]

Hairychested
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCp9TcRAys&feature=related[/video]
    And the comment from YouTube:

im a liverpool fan but rivalries aside scholes is one? of my favourite players of all time. Streets ahead of lampard and gerrard in his prime

John22Trina 8 months ago 59

grum
    Free Member

Great player – and seems like an unassuming chap.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Agree with monksie… the weekends result, Giggs smeared, Scholes retiring. Apart from winning the title, its a great season to be a real football fan.

MOT

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Quality player at his peak – wasted by the style of play of the english national team like has happened to a few before him – Hoddle springs to mind.

As for his tackling ‘ability’ playmakers and tempo setting midfielders dont need to tackle – Xavi rarely attempts to tackle but he is up there with some of the best midfielders ever. Even though he doesn’t tackle he is still effective defensively as he never gets sucked into trying to do daft slide tackles and as a result is much more effective defensively by keeping on his feet and pressing the ball.

Lifer
    Free Member

Indifferent. +1 with Trailmonkey really.

trailmonkey

As for his tackling ‘ability’ playmakers and tempo setting midfielders dont need to tackle – Xavi rarely attempts to tackle but he is up there with some of the best midfielders ever. Even though he doesn’t tackle he is still effective defensively as he never gets sucked into trying to do daft slide tackles and as a result is much more effective defensively by keeping on his feet and pressing the ball.

that’s because xavi has the mentality not to dive in. scholes lacked that and that is what let him down as a midfielder imho. he neither pressed effectively or tackled effectively.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Overrated, but not as overrated as trailmonkey says. To be fair, when he played alongside Keane, it was one of the most formidable partnerships in the premiership because Keane was there to do the tackling. Scholes was shown up when Keane was gone. Most teams would happily have him in their side though.

Model professional, nice guy and kept his nose clean throughout. Unlike many of the pricks playing for the top teams these days.

portlyone

Scholes could tackle. He just decided to scythe players down for other reasons. Like Keane says, you need a bit of nasty to play in the midfield in England. Xavi gets away with it because of the type of league he’s in.

World class players find space as easy as us normal people breathe. Scholes could find the space and then hurt the opposition.

allthepies
    Free Member

Shame his last few games involved a red card for a scythe (Citeh game) and then getting thumped by Barca.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Scholes has retired. Good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.